    possibly one which would work with Windows Vista and does syntax
    highlighting?
    , May 24, 2007

  2. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    writes
    >Which IDE would you recommend for a beginner doing C programming
    >possibly one which would work with Windows Vista and does syntax
    >highlighting?

    How about the one that comes with the compiler? Most development suites
    have an IDE as part of the package.

    Virtually all have syntax highlighting

    As for working with Vista.... I would stick with XP for the next 12
    months.

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    Chris Hills, May 24, 2007

  3. osmium Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Which IDE would you recommend for a beginner doing C programming
    > possibly one which would work with Windows Vista and does syntax
    > highlighting?

    If the guys at Microsoft didn't mess up, DevC would work on Vista and be a
    good choice. It has syntax highlighting that I like. Some of the others I
    have used try to tell me more than I want to know - its just noise after a
    while.

    Poke around on this site.

    http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
    osmium, May 24, 2007
  4. osmium Guest

    "Chris Hills" writes:

    > As for working with Vista.... I would stick with XP for the next 12
    > months.

    I was thinking more like ten years than 12 months. How do you do that?
    Don't all the vendors with good prices migrate to Vista and that's all you
    can get without a lot of effort? Is there an "XP store" someplace?
    osmium, May 24, 2007
  5. osmium said:

    > "Chris Hills" writes:
    >
    >> As for working with Vista.... I would stick with XP for the next 12
    >> months.

    > I was thinking more like ten years than 12 months. How do you do
    > that? Don't all the vendors with good prices migrate to Vista and
    > that's all you
    > can get without a lot of effort? Is there an "XP store" someplace?

    For the very best prices, leave Windows behind - you know you want to -
    and instead use something that works. Alternatively, if you feel
    obliged to continue paying for the privilege of using an inferior
    product, please at least try to post details of your traumatic
    experiences only in newsgroups where they are relevant. Thanks.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    Richard Heathfield, May 24, 2007
  6. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, osmium
    <> writes
    >"Chris Hills" writes:
    >
    >> As for working with Vista.... I would stick with XP for the next 12
    >> months.

    >I was thinking more like ten years than 12 months.

    :)

    > How do you do that?

    It depends where you are in the world. There are quite a few shops that
    will *legally* install the OEM XP-SP2 )home or pro) for you

    >Don't all the vendors with good prices migrate to Vista and that's all you
    >can get without a lot of effort?

    Maybe.... Note everyone is upgrading to Vista. As it needs a lot of HW
    it will be over a year before people upgrade HW and even then they will
    still have older machines with XP.

    I still have a lot of customers working on win 98SE and 2K.

    > Is there an "XP store" someplace?

    See above.

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    Chris Hills, May 24, 2007
  7. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, osmium
    <> writes
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Which IDE would you recommend for a beginner doing C programming
    >> possibly one which would work with Windows Vista and does syntax
    >> highlighting?

    >If the guys at Microsoft didn't mess up, DevC would work on Vista and be a
    >good choice.

    It depends what his target is and what he wants to do.

    > It has syntax highlighting that I like. Some of the others I
    >have used try to tell me more than I want to know - its just noise after a
    >while.

    That is a good point.

    Some people STILL use Vi and Emacs

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    Chris Hills, May 24, 2007
  8. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, Richard Heathfield
    <> writes
    >osmium said:
    >
    >> "Chris Hills" writes:
    >>
    >>> As for working with Vista.... I would stick with XP for the next 12
    >>> months.

    >> I was thinking more like ten years than 12 months. How do you do
    >> that? Don't all the vendors with good prices migrate to Vista and
    >> that's all you
    >> can get without a lot of effort? Is there an "XP store" someplace?

    >For the very best prices, leave Windows behind - you know you want to -
    >and instead use something that works.

    There are quite a few VERY good operating systems for X86 machines.
    Solaris is free for non-commercial use.
    BSD Unix is also available. FREE AFAIK

    Both of which are vastly superior to Linux
    (lights blue touch paper and runs :)
    OSX now runs on x86
    There are a few others.
    So there is a choice.

    >Alternatively, if you feel
    >obliged to continue paying for the privilege of using an inferior
    >product, please at least try to post details of your traumatic
    >experiences only in newsgroups where they are relevant. Thanks.

    :)

    For a novie I suppose, depending on what he wants to do, is MS VC++
    Express which is free.

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    Chris Hills, May 24, 2007
  9. Chris Hills said:

    > In article <>, Richard
    > Heathfield <> writes
    >>
    >>For the very best prices, leave Windows behind - you know you want to
    >>- and instead use something that works.

    > There are quite a few VERY good operating systems for X86 machines.

    Yes - but are any of them written by Microsoft?

    > Solaris is free for non-commercial use.
    > BSD Unix is also available. FREE AFAIK
    >
    > Both of which are vastly superior to Linux
    > (lights blue touch paper and runs :)

    <shrug> Whatever works. If it truly is even a little superior to Linux,
    it must be astounding.

    Having said that, though, I did *try* BSD for a few weeks, and I just
    couldn't get on with it. But at least I tried.

    Richard Heathfield, May 24, 2007
  10. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, Richard Heathfield
    <> writes
    >Chris Hills said:
    >
    >> In article <>, Richard
    >> Heathfield <> writes
    >>>
    >>>For the very best prices, leave Windows behind - you know you want to
    >>>- and instead use something that works.

    >> There are quite a few VERY good operating systems for X86 machines.

    >Yes - but are any of them written by Microsoft?
    >
    >> Solaris is free for non-commercial use.
    >> BSD Unix is also available. FREE AFAIK
    >>
    >> Both of which are vastly superior to Linux
    >> (lights blue touch paper and runs :)

    ><shrug> Whatever works. If it truly is even a little superior to Linux,
    >it must be astounding.

    Why? Linux isn't astounding.

    Solaris was better than Linux a decade ago. More reliable too.

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    Chris Hills, May 24, 2007
  11. Chris Hills said:

    > In article <>, Richard
    > Heathfield <> writes
    >>Chris Hills said:

    <snip>

    >>> Solaris is free for non-commercial use.
    >>> BSD Unix is also available. FREE AFAIK
    >>>
    >>> Both of which are vastly superior to Linux
    >>> (lights blue touch paper and runs :)

    >><shrug> Whatever works. If it truly is even a little superior to
    >>Linux, it must be astounding.

    > Why? Linux isn't astounding.

    Consider what I'm comparing it to:

    * MUSIC
    * VM/CMS
    * Atari TOS
    * AmigaDOS
    * MS-DOS
    * Pick
    * MVS (OS390)
    * One or two 'badged' Unices
    * Windows (everything from 2.0 "up", except ME and Vista)
    * BSD

    You say BSD is better, and I'm prepared to believe it despite not having
    got on with it very well myself. Nevertheless, when I compare Linux to
    the others on that list, they all come off very badly indeed in my
    experience. I am overwhelmingly satisfied with Linux in a way that I
    never was with any of the others (except for the Win32 API, which I do
    think is actually very good from a programmer's perspective,
    unfashionable though it is to say so).

    Richard Heathfield, May 24, 2007
  12. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, Richard Heathfield
    <> writes
    >Chris Hills said:
    >
    >> In article <>, Richard
    >> Heathfield <> writes
    >>>Chris Hills said:
    >>>

    ><snip>

    >>><shrug> Whatever works. If it truly is even a little superior to
    >>>Linux, it must be astounding.

    >> Why? Linux isn't astounding.

    >Consider what I'm comparing it to:
    >
    >* MUSIC
    >* VM/CMS
    >* Atari TOS
    >* AmigaDOS
    >* MS-DOS
    >* Pick
    >* MVS (OS390)
    >* One or two 'badged' Unices
    >* Windows (everything from 2.0 "up", except ME and Vista)
    >* BSD
    >
    >You say BSD is better, and I'm prepared to believe it despite not having
    >got on with it very well myself. Nevertheless, when I compare Linux to
    >the others on that list, they all come off very badly indeed in my
    >experience. I am overwhelmingly satisfied with Linux in a way that I
    >never was with any of the others (except for the Win32 API, which I do
    >think is actually very good from a programmer's perspective,
    >unfashionable though it is to say so).

    Try comparing Solaris with Linux then

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    Chris Hills, May 24, 2007
  13. >>>>> "RH" == Richard Heathfield <> writes:

    RH> Having said that, though, I did *try* BSD for a few weeks, and
    RH> I just couldn't get on with it. But at least I tried.

    My impression is that *BSD and Linux have complementary strengths and
    weaknesses, though for a reasonable variety of usage patterns they
    tend to average each other out; a particular person's preference tends
    to have more to do with which one that person imprinted on first.

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur
    Charlton Wilbur, May 24, 2007
  14. Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Chris Hills said:
    >
    >> In article <>, Richard
    >> Heathfield <> writes
    >>> Chris Hills said:
    >>>

    > <snip>

    >>> <shrug> Whatever works. If it truly is even a little superior to
    >>> Linux, it must be astounding.

    >> Why? Linux isn't astounding.

    > Consider what I'm comparing it to:
    >
    > * MUSIC
    > * VM/CMS
    > * Atari TOS
    > * AmigaDOS
    > * MS-DOS
    > * Pick
    > * MVS (OS390)
    > * One or two 'badged' Unices
    > * Windows (everything from 2.0 "up", except ME and Vista)
    > * BSD
    >
    > You say BSD is better, and I'm prepared to believe it despite not having
    > got on with it very well myself. Nevertheless, when I compare Linux to
    > the others on that list, they all come off very badly indeed in my
    > experience. I am overwhelmingly satisfied with Linux in a way that I
    > never was with any of the others (except for the Win32 API, which I do
    > think is actually very good from a programmer's perspective,
    > unfashionable though it is to say so).

    Hmmm. Even the various time/date APIs?

    --
    clvrmnky <mailto:>

    Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
    contact me directly.
    Clever Monkey, May 24, 2007
  15. Chris Hills said:

    <snip>

    > Try comparing Solaris with Linux then

    I'll take your word for it. I'm happy with what I've got. It works just
    fine, it understands me, I understand it (enough), it's robust enough,
    and the price is perfect. Yes, okay, maybe there's even better stuff
    out there, but one can only spend so much time checking out OSs. There
    are so many other things to be done...

    Richard Heathfield, May 24, 2007
  16. Clever Monkey said:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:

    <snip>

    >> (except for the Win32 API,
    >> which I do think is actually very good from a programmer's
    >> perspective, unfashionable though it is to say so).
    >>

    > Hmmm. Even the various time/date APIs?

    Sure. They can be a bit clumsy sometimes, but they're comprehensive and
    easy to understand.

    Richard Heathfield, May 24, 2007
  17. On Thu, 24 May 2007 15:45:29 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Chris Hills
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Richard Heathfield
    >
    >Solaris was better than Linux a decade ago. More reliable too.

    A decade ago, VMS was better than *anything*. Comparisons a decade old
    are as much use as the proverbial fireguard.

    As for Solaris today, its a fine OS. Better than Linux? Impossible to
    say, since most Solaris is run on Sparc and most linux on x86. Solaris
    is rubbish at being a utility OS on a thousand $500 units in a compute
    grid. Linux is rubbish at running on a 48-CPU Ultrasparc 4+ with 64GB
    of memory. Its like saying "C is better than C++" without defining
    for what, on what, and by what criteria. Golly, I managed to get
    obtopical.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan
    Mark McIntyre, May 24, 2007
  18. On Thu, 24 May 2007 12:12:07 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Chris Hills
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, osmium
    ><> writes
    >
    >>Don't all the vendors with good prices migrate to Vista and that's all you
    >>can get without a lot of effort?

    Vendors practically get paid to preinstall vista because MS needs to
    show massive salesfigures to make their shareholders happy about the
    sunk costs. But you can trivially get XP or Linux if you want it - go
    ask Dell for instance.

    >Maybe.... Note everyone is upgrading to Vista. As it needs a lot of HW
    >it will be over a year before people upgrade HW and even then they will
    >still have older machines with XP.

    In my case, never.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan
    Mark McIntyre, May 24, 2007
  19. "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    > osmium said:
    >
    >> "Chris Hills" writes:
    >>
    >>> As for working with Vista.... I would stick with XP for the next 12
    >>> months.

    >> I was thinking more like ten years than 12 months. How do you do
    >> that? Don't all the vendors with good prices migrate to Vista and
    >> that's all you
    >> can get without a lot of effort? Is there an "XP store" someplace?

    > For the very best prices, leave Windows behind - you know you want to -
    > and instead use something that works. Alternatively, if you feel
    > obliged to continue paying for the privilege of using an inferior
    > product, please at least try to post details of your traumatic
    > experiences only in newsgroups where they are relevant. Thanks.

    Which is here.
    Normally I am not an "early adopter". However we had a talk from some
    marketing person who spoke about the various market segments, and I thought
    that just for once I'd be an early adopter. So I bought a Vista machine the
    first week they came out.
    It was a terrible decision. The MSVC 6.0 compiler has been broekn -
    obviously deliberately. That's the compiler all the undergraduates use at
    the university. Microsoft have tried to compete with the free software
    foundation by releasing a free compiler. You've got to allow them to make
    any modifications they want to your system to use it. I've no illegal
    software or music so that's no problem. However it is cluntsy and difficult
    to use and won't even pass round ASCII strings correctly, obviously because
    they don't want to give a real compiler away for free. So far I have
    achieved absolutely nothing useful with it, despite spend whole days
    downloading the SDK (no documentation of course), fiddling with the brand
    new C++-like GUI, seeing what happens with and without stdafx.h file etc etc
    etc.
    OK some of this is my fault because I am not good at getting tools to work.
    I still can't touch type, for example. But Vista is a horrid develoment
    platform. clc subsribers beware.
    --
    Free games and programming goodies.
    http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm
    Malcolm McLean, May 25, 2007
  20. Carramba Guest

    skrev:
    > Which IDE would you recommend for a beginner doing C programming
    > possibly one which would work with Windows Vista and does syntax
    > highlighting?

    I would sugest using http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/ (use lates 4 RC1) with
    http://www.cygwin.com/ if you are using XP.
    works very well, and you *get unix* on XP.
    Have many greate futures and templates that you can build this saves a
    lot of time :), besides own syntax highlighting and code formatting.

    cheers!
    Carramba, May 25, 2007