IDE for beginner

Flash Gordon

Malcolm McLean wrote, On 25/05/07 06:16:
Which is here.

<snip rant which has been posted before>

No it is not. I don't see Windows or Vista in the name of the group.

Chris Hills

Flash Gordon said:
Malcolm McLean wrote, On 25/05/07 06:16:

<snip rant which has been posted before>

No it is not. I

Yes it is...
don't see Windows or Vista in the name of the group.

He asked for a good ide for C programming and sensibly gave the
platform he is on. It is NOT a Windows or Vista question,. Just your
religious bigotry getting in the way.

If I ask for recommendations on a C compiler it would also be correct to
give the host and target. Should I take that to a NG specific to the
host or the target?

Can you see any "windows" NG knowing much about C programming and the
IDE's?

Richard Heathfield

Chris Hills said:

Can you see any "windows" NG knowing much about C programming and the
IDE's?

Sure. You'll find a great deal of C and IDE experience in
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 - and it's a very supportive group,
too (provided, of course, that you want to talk about programming in
the Win32 environment).

Chris Hills

Richard Heathfield said:
Chris Hills said:

Sure. You'll find a great deal of C and IDE experience in
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 - and it's a very supportive group,
too (provided, of course, that you want to talk about programming in
the Win32 environment).

I expect that most of them are MC VC++ , C++/CLI , C# or Java

I do have a host environment of windows but my target is usually ARM 7
, 8051 etc I doubt that group know anything abut the compilers and
IDEs for them

Richard Heathfield

Chris Hills said:
I expect that most of them are MC VC++ , C++/CLI , C# or Java

Expect all you like - but your expectation doesn't change the fact that
there is a great deal of C and IDE experience in that group.
I do have a host environment of windows but my target is usually ARM
7
, 8051 etc I doubt that group know anything abut the compilers and
IDEs for them

Nor would I expect them to, at least not as a group - but then this
thread title is "IDE for beginner", not "IDE for expert cross-compiling
hacker".

Flash Gordon

Chris said:
Yes it is...

We disagree. I don't think how good or bad Vista is has anything to do
with C.
He asked for a good ide for C programming and sensibly gave the
platform he is on. It is NOT a Windows or Vista question,. Just your
religious bigotry getting in the way.

What has that to do with Malcolm ranting about how bad Vista is? That is
what Malcolm was ranting about, not how good or bad a given C IDE is.
If I ask for recommendations on a C compiler it would also be correct to
give the host and target. Should I take that to a NG specific to the
host or the target?

Whether ot not that is topical here it has no relevance to how topical a
rant about how bad Vista is.
Can you see any "windows" NG knowing much about C programming and the
IDE's?

I did not complain about the OP asking for recommendations for an IDE, I
complained about Malcolm ranting about how bad Vista is.

If you are going to complain at people for saying something is off
topic, at least check what they have complained about. Or do you really
think that rants about the merits of various versions of Windows and
whether MS break things deliberately are topical here?

per9000

<OT-warning>

Some people STILL use Vi and Emacs

But we all know they are not not very modern editors - Nano, om the
other hand, is a very modern editor (I can't wait for the undo feature
to be implemented [:)]-|--< ).

Isn't it strange that so many threads on c.l.c all of a sudden explode
and gets launched into space, leaving all subject-related stuff
kilometers away?

</OT-warning>

/per9000

Cawas

It depends what his target is and what he wants to do.

That is a good point.

Some people STILL use Vi and Emacs

/\/\/ (e-mail address removed) www.phaedsys.org\/\/\

*hoping this is not a double (google) post, since my last message
seemed to have not went through, although g told me it was
successfully sent*

I just want to reinforce that DevCPP worked really great for me, as
I'm a beginner myself.

And another option is getting any specific compiler together with any
of the following text editors:
Crimson Edit
Arachnophilia
JEdit

That would require some manual work on configuring and setting up, but
that's the least to expect a programmer-wannabe to be able to do.