IDE freezes during start up

Abhishek Madas

I have Visual Studio.NET 2003 Professional. It was working just fine a
couple of days back and all of a sudden the IDE has become so slow to
start up. The logo comes and freezes for a couple of minutes before it
allows me to chose the project to open. After that everything else
works just fine. I have tried repairing and reinstalling .NET and
installed service packs also but had no luck. Please help.

Thanks.

Oliver Sturm

Hello Abhishek,
I have Visual Studio.NET 2003 Professional. It was working just fine a
couple of days back and all of a sudden the IDE has become so slow to
start up. The logo comes and freezes for a couple of minutes before it
allows me to chose the project to open. After that everything else
works just fine. I have tried repairing and reinstalling .NET and
installed service packs also but had no luck. Please help.

Of course the first question has to be whether you've done anything
specific that could influence this, like installed any add-ins for VS or
similar... also, have you tried running VS without loading add-ins? The
easiest way to do that is to hold the Shift key while starting Visual
Studio. To be quite sure nothing weird will happen, I usually bring up a
Visual Studio console window, type in "devenv" and hold Shift while
hitting Return.

Oliver Sturm

Parker

I believe the installation CD for VS2003 includes a repair option. This may
take a while to run but should fix this issue you're experiencing with the
IDE. I hope this helps.