[IDE] - need a simple IDE which lists methods and variables

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. I like to try ruby a little bit more.

    SciTE is very nice to compare languages.

    FreeIDE look very nice, too.

    But I like to have the following:

    when typing:

    talker.

    a list should popup, showing me the available methods and variables.

    if I scroll to a method, a window should popup, to show me the help-text
    of the method.

    is this available for SciTE / FreeIDE - possibly as an extension?

    If not, what would be the estimated effort to implement this into FreeIDE?

    or can you suggest me another free IDE product which has this behaviour?

    ..

    --
    http://lazaridis.com
    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Ilias Lazaridis

    Malte Milatz Guest

    Ilias Lazaridis:
    > when typing:
    > talker.
    > a list should popup, showing me the available methods and variables.

    [...]
    > or can you suggest me another free IDE product which has this behaviour?

    Not what you're looking for, but: you can do this in irb. Search the
    Rubygarden wiki for useful irbrc code, then you can do, e.g.:

    talker.m<TAB><TAB>

    and you get all instance methods starting with m.

    Malte
    Malte Milatz, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Ilias Lazaridis <> writes:

    > when typing:
    > talker.
    > a list should popup, showing me the available methods and variables.

    This has been discussed recently. Please see ruby-talk:135770

    YS.
    Yohanes Santoso, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Ilias Lazaridis

    Rob . Guest

    Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > Hello Rob,
    >
    > R> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
    > >> But I like to have the following:
    > >> when typing:
    > >> talker.
    > >> a list should popup, showing me the available methods and variables.

    > R> I'm developing method autocompletion for the jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin,
    > R> using the "if it quacks, it waddles" approach. Unfortunately you'll
    > R> have to wait a couple of weeks for me to get it finished.
    >
    > Read his message again, he wants something like "if it exists, then it
    > ...."

    I think what I'm developing is close to what Ilias wants ...

    Initially I create a cache of available modules/classes/methods. I
    infer the possible classes of a variable based on how you've
    previously used it, then provide a popup of all methods available on
    the inferred set of classes. I have this roughly working at present.
    Just need to write the code to keep the cache updated as you edit the
    ruby files.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    ----
    http://www.jedit.org/ruby/
    Free Software, Free Society
    Rob ., Apr 5, 2005
  5. Ilias Lazaridis

    Rob . Guest

    Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
    > Rob . wrote:
    > > You can get jEdit and the Ruby Editor Plugin from:
    > > http://www.jedit.org/ruby/

    > jedit is written in java.
    >
    > I would need an IDE written in ruby or C/C++.

    Java, despite it's shortcomings as a language, does run on GNU/Linux,
    Mac OS X, Solaris and Windows. Why do you require that the editor you
    use be written in Ruby or C/C++?

    Rob
    Rob ., Apr 5, 2005
  6. Hello Rob,

    R> Initially I create a cache of available modules/classes/methods. I
    R> infer the possible classes of a variable based on how you've
    R> previously used it, then provide a popup of all methods available on
    R> the inferred set of classes. I have this roughly working at present.
    R> Just need to write the code to keep the cache updated as you edit the
    R> ruby files.

    How do you handle the parsing ?

    Do you require the files and hope that there is no side affect, or do
    you use something like parsetree ?

    How do you do handle binary extensions ? This seems to be the biggest
    part of the problem. I previously tried to convert the ri database (which
    are simple yaml files) but i run into the problem that the database
    format is not stable at the moment.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com
    Lothar Scholz, Apr 6, 2005
  7. Ilias Lazaridis

    Rob . Guest

    Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > R> Initially I create a cache of available modules/classes/methods.
    >
    > How do you handle the parsing ?
    >
    > Do you require the files and hope that there is no side affect, or do
    > you use something like parsetree ?

    I'm using the JRuby parser to determine the structure, and regular
    expressions to find the start offset of each module/class/method.
    JRuby defines a NodeVisitor interface to be implemented by visitors of
    the JRuby AST. Each node calls the visit method appropriate to its
    type. Here is the NodeVisitor interface:
    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs....by/src/org/jruby/ast/visitor/NodeVisitor.java

    Big thanks to the JRuby team for their work!

    > How do you do handle binary extensions ?

    I don't yet. ;)

    > This seems to be the biggest part of the problem. I previously tried to
    > convert the ri database (which are simple yaml files) but i run into the
    > problem that the database format is not stable at the moment.

    I'll let you know if I have any ideas.

    Rob
    Rob ., Apr 6, 2005
  8. Rob . wrote:
    > Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
    >
    >>Rob . wrote:
    >>
    >>>You can get jEdit and the Ruby Editor Plugin from:
    >>>http://www.jedit.org/ruby/

    >>jedit is written in java.
    >>
    >>I would need an IDE written in ruby or C/C++.

    > Java, despite it's shortcomings as a language, does run on GNU/Linux,
    > Mac OS X, Solaris and Windows. Why do you require that the editor you
    > use be written in Ruby or C/C++?

    To be able to modify it.

    I like C++ and C.

    I like Ruby.

    -

    I dislike JAVA:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.softwaretools/msg/ae6315fda51d50a1

    ..

    --
    http://lazaridis.com
    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 7, 2005
  9. Belorion wrote:
    >>jedit is written in java.
    >>
    >>I would need an IDE written in ruby or C/C++.

    > Why, exactly? If the tool fits, why not use it? I like jEdit better
    > than any other editor I've ever used, personally.

    please see answer below (to "Rob")

    ..

    --
    http://lazaridis.com
    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 7, 2005
  10. Ilias Lazaridis

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    On Apr 7, 2005 4:04 AM, Ilias Lazaridis <> wrote:
    > Rob . wrote:

    > >>jedit is written in java.
    > >>
    > >>I would need an IDE written in ruby or C/C++.

    > > Java, despite it's shortcomings as a language, does run on GNU/Linux,
    > > Mac OS X, Solaris and Windows. Why do you require that the editor you
    > > use be written in Ruby or C/C++?

    > To be able to modify it.
    >
    > I like C++ and C.
    >
    > I like Ruby.
    >
    > -
    >
    > I dislike JAVA:
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.softwaretools/msg/ae6315fda51d50a1

    Jeez. Your goal, as stated, was "I like to try ruby a little bit more."

    How about actually writing Ruby code instead of worrying about when/if
    you might need to edit the IDE in the future.
    Joe Van Dyk, Apr 7, 2005
  11. Re: - need a simple IDE which lists methods and variables

    Just use Vim (http://vim.sourceforge.net/).

    You can modify it. You can even use ruby to modify it.

    You can use the cream (http://cream.sourceforge.net/) variant install
    of vim while you're getting used to the editor.

    It has an active community of developers/tweakers.

    The ruby community has tips:
    http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/HowtoUseVimWithRails
    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport
    http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org/

    You won't get tight integration like IDEA and Java, but it's a very
    productive environment. (Although there's talk that the next version,
    7.0 will permit Intellisense and such. Adding language-specific
    support to vim is trivial.)

    I hope you find what you're looking for.
    primitiveworker, Apr 7, 2005
  12. Re: - need a simple IDE which lists methods and variables

    primitiveworker wrote:
    > Just use Vim (http://vim.sourceforge.net/).
    >
    > You can modify it. You can even use ruby to modify it.
    >
    > You can use the cream (http://cream.sourceforge.net/) variant install
    > of vim while you're getting used to the editor.
    >
    > It has an active community of developers/tweakers.
    >
    > The ruby community has tips:
    > http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/HowtoUseVimWithRails
    > http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport
    > http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org/
    >
    > You won't get tight integration like IDEA and Java, but it's a very
    > productive environment. (Although there's talk that the next version,
    > 7.0 will permit Intellisense and such. Adding language-specific
    > support to vim is trivial.)
    >
    > I hope you find what you're looking for.

    I've overflown the links, and it looks very intresting.

    Thank's for the thorough information.

    ..

    --
    http://lazaridis.com
    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 8, 2005
  13. Re: - need a simple IDE which lists methods and variables

    > I've overflown the links, and it looks very intresting.

    People with no german background might not understand what you wanted to
    say. You probably want to say 'skim' instead of 'overflown' which is a
    word-for-word translation of the german word '├╝berfliegen', but
    unfortunately 'overflown' means something completely different, namely
    '├╝berlaufen'.

    martinus
    Martin Ankerl, Apr 8, 2005
  14. Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
    > I like to try ruby a little bit more.
    >
    > SciTE is very nice to compare languages.
    >
    > FreeIDE look very nice, too.

    http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

    (will try this 0.9.4 - I have currently 0.9.2 from the ruby installer)

    --
    http://lazaridis.com
    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 12, 2005