    that has even rudimentary "intellisense". Xcode and Eclipse don't seem to
    support Python out of the box. Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse would
    also be nice.
    microsnot, Oct 23, 2005

  2. microsnot <> wrote:

    > I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use? I use Mac
    > OS X 10.4.2. I have PythonIDE which comes with MacPython but I don't think
    > that has even rudimentary "intellisense". Xcode and Eclipse don't seem to
    > support Python out of the box. Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse would
    > also be nice.

    On the Mac, I think the XCode integration you get with PyObjC is
    probably best. I know there are plugins for Eclipse but haven't tried
    any personally, so it's hard to make suggestions (I'm a dinosaur, and I
    prefer to develop with GVim + a command-line tool, such as Python's own
    interactive mode...). I'm not sure if BlackAdder (simplest and fastest
    to learn) and WingIDE (probably THE one most powerful Python IDE) work
    on the Mac (shame on me, as a Python AND Mac enthusiast, for not having
    tried them...), but they're surely worth investigating. Ditto for
    ActiveState's Komodo tool...

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Oct 23, 2005

  3. microsnot

    Guest

    I am an even worse dinosaur, I use ion3 and console vim.

    Alex Martelli wrote:
    > On the Mac, I think the XCode integration you get with PyObjC is
    > probably best. I know there are plugins for Eclipse but haven't tried
    > any personally, so it's hard to make suggestions (I'm a dinosaur, and I
    > prefer to develop with GVim + a command-line tool, such as Python's own
    > interactive mode...). I'm not sure if BlackAdder (simplest and fastest
    > to learn) and WingIDE (probably THE one most powerful Python IDE) work
    > on the Mac (shame on me, as a Python AND Mac enthusiast, for not having
    > tried them...), but they're surely worth investigating. Ditto for
    > ActiveState's Komodo tool...
    >

    > Alex
    , Oct 23, 2005
  4. microsnot

    Joe Guest

    SPE is great I suggest you take a look at it
    http://www.stani.be/python/spe/

    Joe, Oct 23, 2005
  5. microsnot

    kery Guest

    Alex Martelli wrote:
    > microsnot <> wrote:

    > On the Mac, I think the XCode integration you get with PyObjC is
    > probably best. I know there are plugins for Eclipse but haven't tried
    > any personally, so it's hard to make suggestions (I'm a dinosaur, and I
    > prefer to develop with GVim + a command-line tool, such as Python's own
    > interactive mode...). I'm not sure if BlackAdder (simplest and fastest
    > to learn) and WingIDE (probably THE one most powerful Python IDE) work
    > on the Mac (shame on me, as a Python AND Mac enthusiast, for not having
    > tried them...), but they're surely worth investigating. Ditto for
    > ActiveState's Komodo tool...
    >

    > Alex

    Any suggestions for Linux, specifically SuSE or perhaps Red Hat?

    Thanks in advance,
    Kery
    kery, Oct 23, 2005
  6. Jaroslaw Zabiello, Oct 23, 2005
  7. Dnia Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:54:38 +1000, microsnot napisa³(a):

    > Eclipse don't seem to support Python out of the box.

    It is very easy to add excelent python plugin
    http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

    Fast install: just go to the update manager (inside the help menu) and add
    update site: http://pydev.sf.net/updates/ (eclipse should do the rest)

    An alternative is just getting the zip file and extracting it yourself in
    eclipse. If you choose to do it, just make sure the plugins folder is
    extracted on top of the eclipse plugins folder.

    --
    JZ
    Jaroslaw Zabiello, Oct 23, 2005
  8. microsnot wrote:

    > I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use? I use
    > Mac OS X 10.4.2. I have PythonIDE which comes with MacPython but I don't
    > think that has even rudimentary "intellisense". Xcode and Eclipse don't
    > seem to support Python out of the box. Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse
    > would also be nice.

    I use wingIDE and as Alex said before is the best python IDE ever...

    cheers
    --
    Gian Mario Tagliaretti
    PyGTK GUI programming
    Gian Mario Tagliaretti, Oct 23, 2005
  9. Mac users of SPE collected money for me to buy a Mac. This means that
    in the near future SPE will be especially improved for Mac. So feedback
    from Mac users is more than welcome and will probably be taken into
    account. SPE is a free, open source IDE with a lot of features like a
    debugger, UML diagrams and a GUI designer.

    Stani
    --
    http://pythonide.stani.be
    http://pythonide.stani.be/manual/html/manual.html
    SPE - Stani's Python Editor, Oct 23, 2005
  10. > I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use?
    > I use Mac OS X 10.4.2.

    Just look in the archives of the Pythonmac mailinglist. We have
    discussed this very subject intensively recently, with a pretty
    extensive review of the different IDEs available.

    I'll get a copy of WingIDE as soon as I get my new PowerMac.

    > Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse would also be nice.

    Err, Eclipse (imho) is a H-O-G.

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Keller, Oct 23, 2005
  11. microsnot

    Steve Holden Guest

    Gian Mario Tagliaretti wrote:
    > microsnot wrote:
    >

    >>I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use? I use
    >>Mac OS X 10.4.2. I have PythonIDE which comes with MacPython but I don't
    >>think that has even rudimentary "intellisense". Xcode and Eclipse don't
    >>seem to support Python out of the box. Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse
    >>would also be nice.

    > I use wingIDE and as Alex said before is the best python IDE ever...
    >
    > cheers

    I too am a happy Wing IDE user. The debugging features are very convenient.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
    Holden Web LLC www.holdenweb.com
    Steve Holden, Oct 23, 2005
  12. microsnot

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    Kevin Walzer, Oct 23, 2005
  13. microsnot

    Brendan Guest

    As mentioned, there isn't a whole lot. I've beta tested Komodo, and it
    looks promising. SPE might start working now that stani has a mac.

    For now I use TextWrangler - a free text editor with good python
    support. http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.shtml

    For interactive python, I use PyCrust (though the terminal works just
    as well), and for building wxpython guis I use XrCed, both of which
    are available as native mac apps in the wxPython docs/demos package ):
    http://www.wxpython.org/download.php.
    Brendan, Oct 24, 2005
  14. On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:54:38 +1000, microsnot
    <> wrote:

    >I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use?

    I use DrPython ;)

    >I use Mac
    >OS X 10.4.2. I have PythonIDE which comes with MacPython but I don't think
    >that has even rudimentary "intellisense".

    DrPython has a "Code Completition" plugin.
    It combines "Autocompletion" and "Calltips"

    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler
    Franz Steinhaeusler, Oct 24, 2005
  15. On 23 Oct 2005 18:39:17 -0700, "Brendan" <> wrote:

    >As mentioned, there isn't a whole lot. I've beta tested Komodo, and it
    >looks promising. SPE might start working now that stani has a mac.
    >
    >For now I use TextWrangler - a free text editor with good python
    >support. http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.shtml
    >
    >For interactive python, I use PyCrust (though the terminal works just
    >as well)

    I second want to encourage the use of PyCrust.
    If you hit '(', you will get a calltip, the same
    is on '.' for code completion.
    If you are for example on:
    I myself made a patch for getting calltips and Code Completion
    on demand, that means, you don't have to go back and clear
    the already typed text and enter '(' or '.' again.
    I assigned them to Ctrl-Space (code completion) and
    Ctrl-Shift-Space for calltips.

    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler
    Franz Steinhaeusler, Oct 24, 2005
  16. microsnot

    microsnot Guest

    > Fast install: just go to the update manager (inside the help menu) and add
    > update site: http://pydev.sf.net/updates/ (eclipse should do the rest)

    Too easy! Thanks.
    microsnot, Oct 24, 2005
  17. microsnot

    microsnot Guest

    > Mac users of SPE collected money for me to buy a Mac. This means that
    > in the near future SPE will be especially improved for Mac. So feedback
    > from Mac users is more than welcome and will probably be taken into
    > account. SPE is a free, open source IDE with a lot of features like a
    > debugger, UML diagrams and a GUI designer.

    Sounds good and the price is right. :D
    I think I'll wait until you get the Mac and get the installer ready as I'm a
    bit of a clutz when it comes to the shell. :)
    microsnot, Oct 24, 2005
  18. microsnot

    microsnot Guest

    > Just look in the archives of the Pythonmac mailinglist. We have
    > discussed this very subject intensively recently, with a pretty
    > extensive review of the different IDEs available.

    Looking through the mailing list. Any specific subject/dates I should be
    looking for?

    >> Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse would also be nice.

    > Err, Eclipse (imho) is a H-O-G.

    Couldn't agree more... But all so useful for Java.
    microsnot, Oct 24, 2005