Idea/request for new python mailing list/newsgroup.

Kenneth McDonald

Would a mailing list and newsgroup for "python contributions" be of
interest? I currently have a module which is built on top of, and is
intended to semantically replace, the 're' module. I use it constantly
to great advantage, but have not made it public for the following reasons:

* The API should probably be cleaned up in places.
* Documentation is reasonable, but should be more organized and put into
D'Oxygen format. It also needs to be slightly updated.
* A few more unit tests should be added.
* A few features of regular expressions are not yet available.
* Some capabilities go well beyond those of the re module, and there is
the potential for much more.

I'd very much likes a ML/newsgroup wherein potential python contributors
could

* Post alphas/betas and seek feedback.
* Request volunteer help to finish a project.
* Discuss details of implementation (API, useful vs. nonuseful
functionality, etc.)
* etc. etc. etc.

For example, my library is extremely useful as is, but I currently don't
have much time to do the things (API cleanup, doc organization,
potential additional features) that I'd like to see before a public
release. I also don't have the time or knowledge to set it up as an
online project. On the other hand, I'd certainly be willing to share my
experiences and knowledge of the current codebase. An appropriate
mailing list or newsgroup could give feedback for when I do have time
and, if my library is interesting enough, possibly even provide some help.

One thing to emphasize is that this should not be a list/newsgroup where
people post requests or ideas. Requests or ideas for additional
functionality are a dime a dozen. The sole intent of this group would be
to provide a forum for discussion and coordination for work which is
well under way, but needs input or further help.

Cheers,
Ken

Simon Forman

Kenneth said:
Would a mailing list and newsgroup for "python contributions" be of
interest? I currently have a module which is built on top of, and is ....
I'd very much likes a ML/newsgroup wherein potential python contributors
could

* Post alphas/betas and seek feedback.
* Request volunteer help to finish a project.
* Discuss details of implementation (API, useful vs. nonuseful
functionality, etc.)
* etc. etc. etc.

Why is this (c.l.p) not that newsgroup?