Ideal Laptop for Web Dev and Graphic/Video Dev?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Guest, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I was wondering if the seasoned pros on the asp and db forums including
    (Bob, Ray, Aaron, Curt and others) would mind offering advice on ideal
    laptop requrements for web development requirements.

    I currently use an IBM Thinkpad G40 with 2.99 Ghz processor Pentium IV and 1
    Gig of Ram.

    I currently work withing these technologies:

    1. Asp 3.0
    2. Sql server
    3. Dreamweaver MX
    4. Flash MX
    5. Photoshop 7.0

    However, I am increasingly finding that I am being sucked intot he broadband
    arena with the release of Studio 8 and increasing calls for video related
    promotions.

    Would anyone be able to offer their thoughts on which manufacturer, version,
    OS, Graphic Card and other system ratios I should aim for.

    Addtiionally, have any of you perhaps experimented with these new split
    screen montiors designed for what appears createive packages like adobe
    premier?

    This is my first purchase in 2 years and I want to make sure I get this
    right.

    Much appreciated
    Jason

    Guest, Sep 16, 2005

    Mr Beaton Guest

    Hey,

    I am less than confident that I should dare reply concidering

    >I was wondering if the seasoned pros on the asp and db forums including
    >(Bob, Ray, Aaron, Curt and others) would mind offering advice on ideal
    >laptop requrements for web development requirements.

    , but I will do as I always du, and just go ahead.

    > I currently use an IBM Thinkpad G40 with 2.99 Ghz processor Pentium IV and
    > 1 Gig of Ram.

    Fair enough.

    > I currently work withing these technologies:
    >
    > 1. Asp 3.0
    > 2. Sql server
    > 3. Dreamweaver MX
    > 4. Flash MX
    > 5. Photoshop 7.0

    Initially, my thoughts are as follows; In the role of a web developer, be
    that on the visual or interactive design arena, I cannot find a single
    reason that validates an upgrade from your current specifications. Aside
    from the apparent "why the he11 do you develop using a laptop", that is.

    > However, I am increasingly finding that I am being sucked intot he
    > broadband arena with the release of Studio 8 and increasing calls for
    > video related promotions.

    Not really sure what you are asking here, but in the event that you're
    talking about video editing and such, I'd have to repeat the "why the he11
    are you using a laptop" part. Closely followed by "the hardware you got is
    sufficient", and the "if you need an upgrade, RAM would be the first
    choice".

    > Would anyone be able to offer their thoughts on which manufacturer,
    > version, OS, Graphic Card and other system ratios I should aim for.

    Myself, I am strictly a PC kindda guy. Argueably, if video editing as such
    is a primary concern, a Mac might be worth looking into. However, with the
    prices of a modern Mac, and concidering the equivalent hardware in the PC
    sector, I'd think you'd get more bang-for-the-buck going for the PC choice.
    OS would of course be the latest Win version, be that XP or Vista at the
    time of your purchase. Graphics card has zero relevance unless you're
    talking heavy video/3d editing, and even if that is the case, mostly any
    mid-range nvidia/ati card would perform nicely.

    > Addtiionally, have any of you perhaps experimented with these new split
    > screen montiors designed for what appears createive packages like adobe
    > premier?

    Well, I am left guessing what you're asking here. However; I've used dual
    screen setups for some years now, for instance for Photoshop. The ability to
    toss the toolboxes on one screen and reserve the other for the creative work
    area is excellent. This kindda rules a laptop out, at the same time as it
    doesn't rule out ANY desktop system. I mean, a standard desktop system at
    the time of purchase of your current laptop (2 years ago?) would be able to
    run dual screen.

    > This is my first purchase in 2 years and I want to make sure I get this
    > right.

    In that case, either buy a desktop, or smile form ear to ear knowing that
    your laptop will hold you for a couple more years.

    > Much appreciated
    > Jason

    Well, you're very welcome.

    //Leif Beaton

    Mr Beaton, Sep 18, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > I was wondering if the seasoned pros on the asp and db forums
    > including (Bob, Ray, Aaron, Curt and others) would mind offering
    > advice on ideal laptop requrements for web development requirements.

    Sorry, I don't own a laptop

    > I currently use an IBM Thinkpad G40 with 2.99 Ghz processor Pentium
    > IV and 1 Gig of Ram.

    That's got more power than either machine I'm using. I've started developing
    with .Net, and my machine seems sufficient for the task.

    > I currently work withing these technologies:
    >
    > 1. Asp 3.0
    > 2. Sql server
    > 3. Dreamweaver MX
    > 4. Flash MX
    > 5. Photoshop 7.0

    I use Visual Interdev for classic asp, and Visual Studio 2003 for .Net. And
    that's all i use. No graphics involved in my apps.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"