identifying modules to be built and not

skip

The thread John Nagle started about building Python 2.5 on Fedora Core 6 led
me to implement a slight change to Python's setup.py. You clearly can't
have the build stop if the bits needed to build a particular module aren't
found or if compiling a module fails, but it's fairly straightforward to
note which modules could be built and which can't be. There's a patch for
setup.py on SourceForge you can try if you want:

http://python.org/sf/1673619

When setup.py is run it emits output like this after checking for modules it
knows how to build (this is from my Mac):

Located the necessary bits to build these modules:
_AE _AH _App
_bisect _bsddb _CarbonEvt
_CF _CG _Cm
_codecs_cn _codecs_hk _codecs_iso2022
_codecs_jp _codecs_kr _codecs_tw
_collections _csv _Ctl
_ctypes _ctypes_test _curses
_curses_panel _Dlg _Drag
_elementtree _Evt _File
_Fm _Folder _functools
_hashlib _heapq _Help
_hotshot _IBCarbon _Icn
_Launch _List _locale
_lsprof _Menu _Mlte
_multibytecodec _OSA _Qd
_Qdoffs _Qt _random
_Res _Scrap _Snd
_socket _sqlite3 _ssl
_struct _TE _testcapi
_tkinter _weakref _Win
array audioop autoGIL
binascii bsddb185 bz2
cmath ColorPicker cPickle
crypt cStringIO datetime
dbm dl fcntl
gestalt grp icglue
imageop itertools MacOS
math mmap Nav
nis operator OSATerminology
parser pwd pyexpat
readline resource rgbimg
select strop syslog
termios time unicodedata

Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
_elementtree _md5 _sha
_sha256 _sha512 gdbm
linuxaudiodev ossaudiodev spwd

Feel free to add comments to the above patch page. It will help the
development team decide whether or not it's a worthwhile addition.

Skip