Identifying user in Windows group

Tapi

Hello,

I am using Visual SourceSafe to work on a project in a team of three.

I have created a Windows group caleed "Application_MO" on my machine and
added my Windows login to it.

However, when I run the code below, the answer is always "KO" i.e. I am not
identified as belonging to the "Application_MO" group. What could be the
problem?

If HttpContext.Current.User.IsInRole("Application_MO") Then
Response.Write("User exists")

Else

Response.Write("<font color=red>KO<font color>")

Thanks in advance

TJ

Mark Rae

If HttpContext.Current.User.IsInRole("Application_MO") Then
Response.Write("User exists")

Else

Response.Write("<font color=red>KO<font color>")

Do this:

Response.Write(HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name)

so that you know who ASP.NET thinks the current user is...

Tapi

I have done that and it correctly identifies me.

However, the problem still remains of finding out if I belong to the said
group in Windows.

Help!

Mark Rae

I have done that and it correctly identifies me.
OK.

However, the problem still remains of finding out if I belong to the said
group in Windows.

Might it be simply that the ASPNET account doesn't have sufficient
permissions to query the ActiveDirectory...?

Below is an extremely simple but very effective C# method I use for
determining whether a given user is in a given group - it shouldn't be too
difficult to convert it into VB.NET - you'll need to reference the
System.DirectoryServices namespace...

public static bool IsUserInGroup(string pstrDomain, string pstrUser, string
pstrGroup)
{
DirectoryEntry objADEntry = null;
DirectoryEntry objUser = null;
DirectoryEntry objGroup = null;

try
{
objADEntry = new DirectoryEntry("WinNT://" + pstrDomain + ",domain");
objUser = objADEntry.Children.Find(pstrUser, "user");
objGroup = objADEntry.Children.Find(pstrGroup, "group");
return (bool) objGroup.Invoke("IsMember", new object[]
{objUser.Path.ToString()});
}
catch (Exception)
{
throw;
}
finally
{
if (objGroup != null)
{
objGroup.Close();
objGroup.Dispose();
objGroup = null;
}
if (objUser != null)
{
objUser.Close();
objUser.Dispose();
objUser = null;
}
if (objADEntry != null)
{
objADEntry.Close();
objADEntry.Dispose();
objADEntry = null;

Tapi

Thanks, I will trying that after the "translation" to VB.
Mark Rae said:
[...]

Juan T. Llibre

Public Shared Function IsUserInGroup(pstrDomain As String, pstrUser As String, pstrGroup
As String) As Boolean

Dim objADEntry As DirectoryEntry = Nothing
Dim objUser As DirectoryEntry = Nothing
Dim objGroup As DirectoryEntry = Nothing

Try
objADEntry = New DirectoryEntry("WinNT://" + pstrDomain + ",domain")
objUser = objADEntry.Children.Find(pstrUser, "user")
objGroup = objADEntry.Children.Find(pstrGroup, "group")
Return CBool(objGroup.Invoke("IsMember", New Object() {objUser.Path.ToString()}))
Catch Else
Throw
Finally
If Not (objGroup Is Nothing) Then
objGroup.Close()
objGroup.Dispose()
objGroup = Nothing
End If
If Not (objUser Is Nothing) Then
objUser.Close()
objUser.Dispose()
objUser = Nothing
End If
If Not (objADEntry Is Nothing) Then
objADEntry.Close()
objADEntry.Dispose()
objADEntry = Nothing
End If
End Try
End Function 'IsUserInGroup

Courtesy of "C# To VB .NET Source Code Converter":
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/cstovbweb/converter.aspx

It took about 3 seconds to get that code converted... ;-)

You might want to check it for errors,
but at least the grunt work is done for you.

Mark Rae said:
[...]

And that includes internet latency, too!

;-)

I suspect the actual processing time is well under 1/10 second.

Tapi

Thanks a lot for the conversion.

However, I have tried my code on an XP workstation and it works. I am using
a Windows 2000 workstation. Could it be that I need to install something
(Service pack/:NET addin...) that will enable the code to work?

I have service pack 4 installed.