Identity impersonate="true" hoses app on just dev pc?

Kathy Burke

Hi. Totally lost on this one (ok, I admit I'm USUALLY lost!). All works
fine in dev environment (P4, localhost server IIS, XP Pro) Asp.net and
.Net 1.1

In order to access doc files needed for the app, I had to add the
following to <system.web> in webconfig.

<identity impersonate="true" userName="Jabil\BOSASPNET"
password="@ugustus" />

App works fine on network production server, etc. AND ok on my desktop
(using an nt login to network) but running app locally. My dev notebook
now gives me the generic runtime error page, no details. The only
difference I can see is that I'm not logged in as an NT user on my
notebook, but am running everything localhost, no network server used.

I know nothing about identity impersonate, other than I was told to add
it to access the network files. I can see having a problem if using my
dev machine on a network, etc., just don't get this.

Any info appreciated. Sigh...one step forward, two steps back.

Thanks,
Kathy

Prodip Saha

Kathy,
It appears to me that you don't have appropriate directory security
permission for the said user (Jabil\BOSASPNET) on dev PC. When a doc (such
as MSWORD) is open a ~tmp file is created in the same folder where the doc
file is located. It's,therefore, necessary to have read/write permission on
the folder.

Who needs this permission? Normally, aspnet_wp account under which asp.net
runs need this permission but your scenario is different. You have choosen
to impersonate(=true) and it is perfectly ok. Sometime impersonation is
better when you access network resources. However, the impersonation account
(Jabil\BOSASPNET in this case) must have proper permission on the asp.net
server box.

I have not much details to act on but you will have an idea from the above
explanation.

Prodip Saha