idiom to ask if you are on 32 or 64 bit linux platform?

Jon

Hello everyone,

I've got a ctypes wrapper to some code which seems to be different
when compiled on 32 bit linux compared to 64 bit linux. For the
windows version I can use sys.platform == 'win32' versus 'linux2' to
decide whether to get the .dll or .so library to load. Having narrowed
it down to linux I still need to choose between libKLT32.so and
libKLT64.so

Can someone tell me an idiom to choose the right one?

Thanks!

Jon

Matt Nordhoff

Jon said:
Hello everyone,

I've got a ctypes wrapper to some code which seems to be different
when compiled on 32 bit linux compared to 64 bit linux. For the
windows version I can use sys.platform == 'win32' versus 'linux2' to
decide whether to get the .dll or .so library to load. Having narrowed
it down to linux I still need to choose between libKLT32.so and
libKLT64.so

Can someone tell me an idiom to choose the right one?

Thanks!

Jon

What about the platform module? platform.architecture() should do it.

<http://docs.python.org/lib/module-platform.html>

('32bit', '')

Note that it analyzes an executable (defaulting to the python
interpreter binary), rather than looking in /proc or something. You
might want to do something like that instead. I guess looking at the
python binary is more accurate on a hybrid 32-bit/64-bit system though..