Idle 2.3.4 won't start on Windows

Sven Erik Knop

Hi

probably an old problem, but maybe you can help me:

Just installed Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP SP1, and although the interpreter
runs fine, IDLE will not start.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Cheers

Sven Erik

Ray Smith

Sven said:
Hi

probably an old problem, but maybe you can help me:

Just installed Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP SP1, and although the interpreter
runs fine, IDLE will not start.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Do you have TCL installed (or any other software package that uses the
TK widget set)?

I had this problem once when I had 2 different versions of TK installed.

I'm not sure of the exact details ... check your path's and environment
variables.

Also try running IDLE manually and see what error message is displayed.

Regards,

Ray Smith

Tim Peters

[Sven Erik Knop]
probably an old problem, but maybe you can help me:

Just installed Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP SP1, and although the interpreter
runs fine, IDLE will not start.

Any ideas how to solve this?

One step at a time.

The most common reason for IDLE not running on Windows is that the
user installed Ruby. The Ruby Windows installer is a bad citizen,
setting environment variables that prevent other apps from using Tk.
Did you install Ruby?

Open a DOS box, cd to your Python directory, and try this:

C:\Python23>python
Python 2.3.4 (#53, May 25 2004, 21:17:02) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
What happens?

David MacQuigg

Hi

probably an old problem, but maybe you can help me:

Just installed Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP SP1, and although the interpreter
runs fine, IDLE will not start.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Search with Google: IDLE start group:comp.lang.python

-- Dave

Sven Erik Knop

Bingo

uninstalled Ruby and everything is fine. That'll teach me looking at
Japanese software ;-)

Thanks guys

Sven Erik

[Sven Erik Knop]