    Any ideas how to solve this?

    Cheers

    Sven Erik

    Sven Erik Knop, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Sven Erik Knop

    Ray Smith Guest

    Sven Erik Knop wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > probably an old problem, but maybe you can help me:
    >
    > Just installed Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP SP1, and although the interpreter
    > runs fine, IDLE will not start.
    >
    > Any ideas how to solve this?

    Do you have TCL installed (or any other software package that uses the
    TK widget set)?

    I had this problem once when I had 2 different versions of TK installed.

    I'm not sure of the exact details ... check your path's and environment
    variables.

    Also try running IDLE manually and see what error message is displayed.

    Regards,

    Ray Smith

    Ray Smith, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Sven Erik Knop

    Tim Peters Guest

    [Sven Erik Knop]
    > probably an old problem, but maybe you can help me:
    >
    > Just installed Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP SP1, and although the interpreter
    > runs fine, IDLE will not start.
    >
    > Any ideas how to solve this?

    One step at a time.

    The most common reason for IDLE not running on Windows is that the
    user installed Ruby. The Ruby Windows installer is a bad citizen,
    setting environment variables that prevent other apps from using Tk.
    Did you install Ruby?

    Open a DOS box, cd to your Python directory, and try this:

    C:\Python23>python
    Python 2.3.4 (#53, May 25 2004, 21:17:02) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
    >>> import Tkinter
    >>> Tkinter._test()

    What happens?

    Tim Peters, Jun 15, 2004
  4. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:25:25 +0100, "Sven Erik Knop"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >probably an old problem, but maybe you can help me:
    >
    >Just installed Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP SP1, and although the interpreter
    >runs fine, IDLE will not start.
    >
    >Any ideas how to solve this?

    Search with Google: IDLE start group:comp.lang.python

    -- Dave

    David MacQuigg, Jun 16, 2004
  5. Bingo

    uninstalled Ruby and everything is fine. That'll teach me looking at
    Japanese software ;-)

    Thanks guys

    Sven Erik

    Sven Erik Knop, Jun 16, 2004