Idle Curiosity: no head

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Joy Beeson, Jan 21, 2011.

  1. Joy Beeson

    Joy Beeson Guest

    I doubt that the URL has anything to do with the case, but here it is:
    http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HEMSHEET.HTM
    I put it on my web site solely so that I'd be able to find it when I
    need it.

    Since I didn't expect anyone to read it, I just opened my word
    processor and started typing. The word processor put in paragraph
    breaks and dates, I added a few headers, and that was enough to make
    the local copy work in my browser just fine, which is all I need.

    I did get itchy after a while and add <html></html>. I expect to
    finish the sheets before the unfinished code irritates me again.

    But now I'm commencing to wonder what would be the consequences of
    putting a headless page up for real.

    I do know that one consequence of leaving out everything but the text
    is that anyone who blunders into the page can't get out again except
    by using the back button. Which is making me itch. Writing this
    here post was a mistake.

    --
    Joy Beeson
    joy beeson at comcast dot net
    Joy Beeson, Jan 21, 2011

  2. Joy Beeson

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Joy Beeson <> wrote:

    > I doubt that the URL has anything to do with the case, but here it is:
    > http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HEMSHEET.HTM

    My Firefox and Mac IE (of a bygone age) are the only browsers
    that will open this.

    > I put it on my web site solely so that I'd be able to find it when I
    > need it.
    >
    > Since I didn't expect anyone to read it, I just opened my word
    > processor and started typing. The word processor put in paragraph
    > breaks and dates, I added a few headers, and that was enough to make
    > the local copy work in my browser just fine, which is all I need.
    >
    > I did get itchy after a while and add <html></html>. I expect to
    > finish the sheets before the unfinished code irritates me again.
    >
    > But now I'm commencing to wonder what would be the consequences of
    > putting a headless page up for real.

    What do you mean by a headless page exactly? Are you asking what
    the point of making a proper html doc with doctype and proper
    mark up and serving it properly?

    > I do know that one consequence of leaving out everything but the text
    > is that anyone who blunders into the page can't get out again except
    > by using the back button. Which is making me itch. Writing this
    > here post was a mistake.

    Yeah? How do you get out of yours above? I just load a different
    URL or quit the tab or browser. No problem. It is getting in with
    Safari and Google Chrome and iCab that is more difficult. <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 21, 2011

  3. Joy Beeson

    P E Schoen Guest

    "Joy Beeson" wrote in message

    > I do know that one consequence of leaving out everything but the
    > text is that anyone who blunders into the page can't get out again
    > except by using the back button. Which is making me itch. Writing
    > this here post was a mistake.

    I had no problem opening the page in IE8, Firefox, and Chrome. In some cases
    it opened as a new tab, and in others I used the back button to get to the
    ..txt file), it also should display OK but without formatting. It will
    probably invoke the default text processor which is usually Notepad.

    Paul
    P E Schoen, Jan 21, 2011
  4. Joy Beeson wrote:

    > I did get itchy after a while and add <html></html>.

    The point being? Why add something optional, when the page is missing
    something required and essential? (The title element.)

    > But now I'm commencing to wonder what would be the consequences of
    > putting a headless page up for real.

    It's not headless, its head is just empty.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 21, 2011
  5. dorayme wrote:
    > In article<>,
    > Joy Beeson<> wrote:
    >
    >> I doubt that the URL has anything to do with the case, but here it is:
    >> http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HEMSHEET.HTM

    > My Firefox and Mac IE (of a bygone age) are the only browsers
    > that will open this.
    >
    >> I put it on my web site solely so that I'd be able to find it when I
    >> need it.
    >>
    >> Since I didn't expect anyone to read it, I just opened my word
    >> processor and started typing. The word processor put in paragraph
    >> breaks and dates, I added a few headers, and that was enough to make
    >> the local copy work in my browser just fine, which is all I need.
    >>
    >> I did get itchy after a while and add<html></html>. I expect to
    >> finish the sheets before the unfinished code irritates me again.
    >>
    >> But now I'm commencing to wonder what would be the consequences of
    >> putting a headless page up for real.

    > What do you mean by a headless page exactly? Are you asking what
    > the point of making a proper html doc with doctype and proper
    > mark up and serving it properly?
    >

    >> I do know that one consequence of leaving out everything but the text
    >> is that anyone who blunders into the page can't get out again except
    >> by using the back button. Which is making me itch. Writing this
    >> here post was a mistake.

    > Yeah? How do you get out of yours above? I just load a different
    > URL or quit the tab or browser. No problem. It is getting in with
    > Safari and Google Chrome and iCab that is more difficult.<g>

    Had no problem opening using SeaMonkey 2.0.11 using the Validator plugin
    does show 78 errors but no warnings.

    iCab opens it
    Opera Opens it
    FireFox opens it.
    OmniWeb opens it
    Safari opens it
    Camino opens it

    Al Render it exactly the the same.

    --
    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
    http://www.phillipmjones.net/ mailto:p
    Phillip Jones, Jan 22, 2011
  6. Joy Beeson

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ihdm2r$7jt$-september.org>,
    Phillip Jones <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article<>,
    > > Joy Beeson<> wrote:

    > >> http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HEMSHEET.HTM

    > > My Firefox and Mac IE (of a bygone age) are the only browsers
    > > that will open this.

    I was having network trouble that affected some browsers and not
    others. Now this is fixed.
    > >> But now I'm commencing to wonder what would be the consequences of
    > >> putting a headless page up for real.

    > > What do you mean by a headless page exactly? Are you asking what
    > > the point of making a proper html doc with doctype and proper
    > > mark up and serving it properly?
    > >

    > >> I do know that one consequence of leaving out everything but the text
    > >> is that anyone who blunders into the page can't get out again except
    > >> by using the back button. Which is making me itch. Writing this
    > >> here post was a mistake.

    > > Yeah? How do you get out of yours above? I just load a different
    > > URL or quit the tab or browser. No problem. It is getting in with
    > > Safari and Google Chrome and iCab that is more difficult.<g>
    > >

    > Had no problem opening using SeaMonkey 2.0.11 using the Validator plugin
    > does show 78 errors but no warnings.
    >
    > iCab opens it
    > Opera Opens it
    > FireFox opens it.
    > OmniWeb opens it
    > Safari opens it
    > Camino opens it
    >
    > Al Render it exactly the the same.

    See my above. About rendering, I have not checked but I would be
    mildly surprised if there were no differences with no doctype etc.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 22, 2011