Idle Curiosity: no head

Joy Beeson

I doubt that the URL has anything to do with the case, but here it is:
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HEMSHEET.HTM
I put it on my web site solely so that I'd be able to find it when I
need it.

Since I didn't expect anyone to read it, I just opened my word
processor and started typing. The word processor put in paragraph
breaks and dates, I added a few headers, and that was enough to make
the local copy work in my browser just fine, which is all I need.

I did get itchy after a while and add <html></html>. I expect to
finish the sheets before the unfinished code irritates me again.

But now I'm commencing to wonder what would be the consequences of
putting a headless page up for real.

I do know that one consequence of leaving out everything but the text
is that anyone who blunders into the page can't get out again except
by using the back button. Which is making me itch. Writing this
here post was a mistake.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

dorayme

Joy Beeson said:
I doubt that the URL has anything to do with the case, but here it is:
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HEMSHEET.HTM

My Firefox and Mac IE (of a bygone age) are the only browsers
that will open this.
I put it on my web site solely so that I'd be able to find it when I
need it.

Since I didn't expect anyone to read it, I just opened my word
processor and started typing. The word processor put in paragraph
breaks and dates, I added a few headers, and that was enough to make
the local copy work in my browser just fine, which is all I need.

I did get itchy after a while and add <html></html>. I expect to
finish the sheets before the unfinished code irritates me again.

But now I'm commencing to wonder what would be the consequences of
putting a headless page up for real.

What do you mean by a headless page exactly? Are you asking what
the point of making a proper html doc with doctype and proper
mark up and serving it properly?
I do know that one consequence of leaving out everything but the text
is that anyone who blunders into the page can't get out again except
by using the back button. Which is making me itch. Writing this
here post was a mistake.

Yeah? How do you get out of yours above? I just load a different
URL or quit the tab or browser. No problem. It is getting in with
Safari and Google Chrome and iCab that is more difficult. <g>

P E Schoen

"Joy Beeson" wrote in message
I do know that one consequence of leaving out everything but the
text is that anyone who blunders into the page can't get out again
except by using the back button. Which is making me itch. Writing
this here post was a mistake.

I had no problem opening the page in IE8, Firefox, and Chrome. In some cases
it opened as a new tab, and in others I used the back button to get to the
..txt file), it also should display OK but without formatting. It will
probably invoke the default text processor which is usually Notepad.

Paul

Jukka K. Korpela

Joy said:
I did get itchy after a while and add <html></html>.

The point being? Why add something optional, when the page is missing
something required and essential? (The title element.)
> But now I'm commencing to wonder what would be the consequences of
putting a headless page up for real.

It's not headless, its head is just empty.

Phillip Jones

dorayme said:
My Firefox and Mac IE (of a bygone age) are the only browsers
that will open this.

What do you mean by a headless page exactly? Are you asking what
the point of making a proper html doc with doctype and proper
mark up and serving it properly?

Yeah? How do you get out of yours above? I just load a different
URL or quit the tab or browser. No problem. It is getting in with
Safari and Google Chrome and iCab that is more difficult.<g>
Had no problem opening using SeaMonkey 2.0.11 using the Validator plugin
does show 78 errors but no warnings.

iCab opens it
Opera Opens it
FireFox opens it.
OmniWeb opens it
Safari opens it
Camino opens it

Al Render it exactly the the same.

dorayme

I was having network trouble that affected some browsers and not
others. Now this is fixed.
Had no problem opening using SeaMonkey 2.0.11 using the Validator plugin
does show 78 errors but no warnings.

iCab opens it
Opera Opens it
FireFox opens it.
OmniWeb opens it
Safari opens it
Camino opens it

Al Render it exactly the the same.

See my above. About rendering, I have not checked but I would be
mildly surprised if there were no differences with no doctype etc.