    Python, and upgrading to version 2.5.1, but I still haven't fixed the
    problem. Is there anything else I can do to fix it?

    Elias
    mikez302, Jan 12, 2008

  2. On 12 jan 2008, at 01.18, mikez302 wrote:

    > I have Python 2.5 and Windows XP SP2. For a while, IDLE worked, but
    > now it doesn't. The last time I was using it, I was changing some
    > keyboard shortcuts, then the window suddenly disappeared. Since then,
    > I haven't been able to start it.
    >
    > When I try to start it, I see pythonw.exe come up on my Task Manager
    > for about a second, then disappear. Other than that, I don't see any
    > hint as to what is happening. The Python command line works fine.
    >
    > I tried rebooting, repairing Python, uninstalling and reinstalling
    > Python, and upgrading to version 2.5.1, but I still haven't fixed the
    > problem. Is there anything else I can do to fix it?
    >
    > Elias

    I suggest you try:
    1) Cleaning the registry
    2) Searching for IDLE preference files and delete them.
    Corrupt preference settings are a common cause for application
    misfunction
    on all Operating Systems.
    "Home is not where you are born, but where your heart finds peace" -
    Tommy Nordgren, "The dying old crone"
    Tommy Nordgren, Jan 12, 2008

  3. mikez302

    mikez302 Guest

    How would I go about cleaning the registry? What specifically should
    I look for? Should I use any registry cleaner programs?

    Where are the IDLE preference files stored? When I uninstalled
    Python, it seems like everything was gone except for a few
    personal .py and .pyc files.

    Elias
    mikez302, Jan 12, 2008
  4. On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:18:25 -0800 (PST), mikez302 <>

    > When I try to start it, I see pythonw.exe come up on my Task Manager
    > for about a second, then disappear. Other than that, I don't see any
    > hint as to what is happening. The Python command line works fine.

    So how does opening a command shell, then typing in the python
    command line that matches the IDLE startup command, and seeing what
    error messages may appear.
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    (Bestiaria Support Staff: )
    HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jan 12, 2008
  5. mikez302

    mikez302 Guest

    I opened a command window in my Python25 folder and tried typing
    pythonw. I just got another command prompt as if the program ran but
    didn't do anything. It looked like this:

    C:\Python25>pythonw

    C:\Python25>
    mikez302, Jan 12, 2008
  6. mikez302 wrote:

    > I opened a command window in my Python25 folder and tried typing
    > pythonw. I just got another command prompt as if the program ran but
    > didn't do anything. It looked like this:
    >
    > C:\Python25>pythonw
    >
    > C:\Python25>

    "pythonw" is the console-less version of the Python runtime, so that's
    expected. Try using "python" instead.

    </F>
    Fredrik Lundh, Jan 12, 2008
  7. On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:35:58 +0100, Fredrik Lundh

    > "pythonw" is the console-less version of the Python runtime, so that's
    > expected. Try using "python" instead.

    And since it is IDLE that is "vanishing", the suggestion is to try

    python path/to/IDLE.py

    (or ... .pyw -- since we are invoking the console interpreter manually,
    the extension association doesn't take effect)

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jan 12, 2008
  8. mikez302

    mikez302 Guest

    I typed "python Lib/idlelib/idle.py" and got a huge series of error
    messages, but IDLE started up. Here is the series of errors:

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'change-indentwidth'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<change-indentwidth>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-u>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'view-restart'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<view-restart>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<F6>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'history-previous'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<history-previous>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-p>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'del-word-right'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<del-word-right>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-Key-Delete>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'remove-selection'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<remove-selection>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Escape>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'undo'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<undo>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-z>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'open-window-from-file'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<open-window-from-file>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-o>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'print-window'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<print-window>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-p>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'goto-line'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<goto-line>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-g>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'toggle-auto-coloring'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<toggle-auto-coloring>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-slash>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'beginning-of-line'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<beginning-of-line>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-a>', '<Home>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'indent-region'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<indent-region>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-Key-bracketright>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'tabify-region'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<tabify-region>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-5>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'history-next'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<history-next>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-n>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'dedent-region'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<dedent-region>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-Key-bracketleft>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'smart-indent'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<smart-indent>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Key-Tab>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'interrupt-execution'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<interrupt-execution>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-c>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'open-module'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<open-module>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-m>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'plain-newline-and-indent'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<plain-newline-and-
    indent>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-j>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'python-context-help'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<python-context-help>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Shift-F1>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'redo'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<redo>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-y>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'replace'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<replace>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-h>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'toggle-tabs'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<toggle-tabs>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-t>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'save-copy-of-window-as-file'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<save-copy-of-window-as-
    file>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-Shift-S>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'find-selection'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<find-selection>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-F3>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'python-docs'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<python-docs>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<F1>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'newline-and-indent'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<newline-and-indent>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Key-Return> <Key-KP_Enter>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'center-insert'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<center-insert>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-l>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'close-all-windows'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<close-all-windows>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-q>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'uncomment-region'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<uncomment-region>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-4>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'restart-shell'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<restart-shell>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-F6>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'untabify-region'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<untabify-region>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-6>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'del-word-left'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<del-word-left>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-Key-BackSpace>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'find'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<find>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-f>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'save-window-as-file'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<save-window-as-file>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-s>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'find-in-files'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<find-in-files>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-F3>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'find-again'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<find-again>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-g>', '<F3>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'comment-region'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<comment-region>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-3>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'do-nothing'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<do-nothing>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-x>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'save-window'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<save-window>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-s>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'paste'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<paste>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-v>', '<Control-V>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'close-window'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<close-window>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-F4>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'select-all'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<select-all>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-a>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'end-of-file'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<end-of-file>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-d>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'open-class-browser'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<open-class-browser>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Alt-c>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'copy'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<copy>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-c>', '<Control-C>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'open-new-window'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<open-new-window>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-n>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'smart-backspace'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<smart-backspace>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Key-BackSpace>']

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    problem retrieving configration option 'cut'
    from section 'test'.
    returning default value: ''

    Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
    problem retrieving key binding for event '<<cut>>'
    from key set 'test'.
    returning default value: ['<Control-x>', '<Control-X>']

    mikez302, Jan 13, 2008
  9. On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 21:02:09 -0800 (PST), mikez302 <>

    > I typed "python Lib/idlelib/idle.py" and got a huge series of error
    > messages, but IDLE started up. Here is the series of errors:
    >
    > Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
    > problem retrieving configration option 'change-indentwidth'
    > from section 'test'.
    > returning default value: ''

    Well... You did say it had died while you were editing key-stroke
    configurations, didn't you?

    Looks like the entire configuration file may be corrupt... At least,
    everything from that "test" section looks bad.

    Since these are probably written to stderr, and pythonw (the default
    for .pyw) doesn't have a console, it has not stderr -- and likely aborts
    on the first error.

    May need to restore the config file from a backup (if you have one),
    or... maybe with a complete start-up via console, you can perform a
    do-nothing edit of the config and resave, and that might recreate all
    the missing items. {I'm vague as I don't use IDLE -- PythonWin is my
    interface}

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jan 13, 2008
  10. mikez302

    mikez302 Guest

    I was able to start IDLE from the command line, and reset my keyboard
    shortcuts. It works fine now. In case this happens again, where
    would I find the config file?
    mikez302, Jan 14, 2008
  11. On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:06:18 -0800 (PST), mikez302 <>

    > I was able to start IDLE from the command line, and reset my keyboard
    > shortcuts. It works fine now. In case this happens again, where
    > would I find the config file?

    Mine looks to be: E:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\config-keys.def (along
    with config-extensions.def, config-highlight.def, config-main.def)

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jan 14, 2008