IDLE won't start in Python 2.5 for Windows

mikez302

I have Python 2.5 and Windows XP SP2. For a while, IDLE worked, but
now it doesn't. The last time I was using it, I was changing some
keyboard shortcuts, then the window suddenly disappeared. Since then,
I haven't been able to start it.

When I try to start it, I see pythonw.exe come up on my Task Manager
for about a second, then disappear. Other than that, I don't see any
hint as to what is happening. The Python command line works fine.

I tried rebooting, repairing Python, uninstalling and reinstalling
Python, and upgrading to version 2.5.1, but I still haven't fixed the
problem. Is there anything else I can do to fix it?

Elias

Tommy Nordgren

I have Python 2.5 and Windows XP SP2. For a while, IDLE worked, but
now it doesn't. The last time I was using it, I was changing some
keyboard shortcuts, then the window suddenly disappeared. Since then,
I haven't been able to start it.

When I try to start it, I see pythonw.exe come up on my Task Manager
for about a second, then disappear. Other than that, I don't see any
hint as to what is happening. The Python command line works fine.

I tried rebooting, repairing Python, uninstalling and reinstalling
Python, and upgrading to version 2.5.1, but I still haven't fixed the
problem. Is there anything else I can do to fix it?

Elias
I suggest you try:
1) Cleaning the registry
2) Searching for IDLE preference files and delete them.
Corrupt preference settings are a common cause for application
misfunction
on all Operating Systems.

mikez302

How would I go about cleaning the registry? What specifically should
I look for? Should I use any registry cleaner programs?

Where are the IDLE preference files stored? When I uninstalled
Python, it seems like everything was gone except for a few
personal .py and .pyc files.

Elias

Dennis Lee Bieber

When I try to start it, I see pythonw.exe come up on my Task Manager
for about a second, then disappear. Other than that, I don't see any
hint as to what is happening. The Python command line works fine.
So how does opening a command shell, then typing in the python
command line that matches the IDLE startup command, and seeing what
error messages may appear.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

mikez302

I opened a command window in my Python25 folder and tried typing
pythonw. I just got another command prompt as if the program ran but
didn't do anything. It looked like this:

C:\Python25>pythonw

C:\Python25>

Fredrik Lundh

mikez302 said:
I opened a command window in my Python25 folder and tried typing
pythonw. I just got another command prompt as if the program ran but
didn't do anything. It looked like this:

C:\Python25>pythonw

C:\Python25>

"pythonw" is the console-less version of the Python runtime, so that's
expected. Try using "python" instead.

</F>

Dennis Lee Bieber

"pythonw" is the console-less version of the Python runtime, so that's
expected. Try using "python" instead.
And since it is IDLE that is "vanishing", the suggestion is to try

python path/to/IDLE.py

(or ... .pyw -- since we are invoking the console interpreter manually,
the extension association doesn't take effect)
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

mikez302

I typed "python Lib/idlelib/idle.py" and got a huge series of error
messages, but IDLE started up. Here is the series of errors:

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'change-indentwidth'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<change-indentwidth>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-u>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'view-restart'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<view-restart>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<F6>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'history-previous'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<history-previous>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-p>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'del-word-right'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<del-word-right>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-Key-Delete>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'remove-selection'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<remove-selection>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Escape>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'undo'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<undo>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-z>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'open-window-from-file'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<open-window-from-file>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-o>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'print-window'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<print-window>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-p>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'goto-line'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<goto-line>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-g>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'toggle-auto-coloring'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<toggle-auto-coloring>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-slash>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'beginning-of-line'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<beginning-of-line>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-a>', '<Home>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'indent-region'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<indent-region>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-Key-bracketright>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'tabify-region'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<tabify-region>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-5>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'history-next'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<history-next>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-n>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'dedent-region'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<dedent-region>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-Key-bracketleft>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'smart-indent'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<smart-indent>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Key-Tab>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'interrupt-execution'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<interrupt-execution>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-c>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'open-module'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<open-module>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-m>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'plain-newline-and-indent'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<plain-newline-and-
indent>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-j>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'python-context-help'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<python-context-help>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Shift-F1>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'redo'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<redo>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-y>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'replace'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<replace>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-h>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'toggle-tabs'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<toggle-tabs>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-t>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'save-copy-of-window-as-file'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<save-copy-of-window-as-
file>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-Shift-S>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'find-selection'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<find-selection>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-F3>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'python-docs'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<python-docs>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<F1>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'newline-and-indent'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<newline-and-indent>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Key-Return> <Key-KP_Enter>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'center-insert'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<center-insert>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-l>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'close-all-windows'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<close-all-windows>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-q>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'uncomment-region'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<uncomment-region>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-4>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'restart-shell'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<restart-shell>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-F6>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'untabify-region'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<untabify-region>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-6>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'del-word-left'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<del-word-left>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-Key-BackSpace>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'find'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<find>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-f>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'save-window-as-file'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<save-window-as-file>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-s>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'find-in-files'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<find-in-files>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-F3>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'find-again'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<find-again>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-g>', '<F3>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'comment-region'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<comment-region>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-Key-3>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'do-nothing'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<do-nothing>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-x>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'save-window'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<save-window>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-s>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'paste'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<paste>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-v>', '<Control-V>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'close-window'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<close-window>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-F4>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'select-all'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<select-all>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-a>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'end-of-file'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<end-of-file>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-d>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'open-class-browser'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<open-class-browser>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Alt-c>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'copy'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<copy>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-c>', '<Control-C>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'open-new-window'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<open-new-window>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-n>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'smart-backspace'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<smart-backspace>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Key-BackSpace>']

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetOption -
problem retrieving configration option 'cut'
from section 'test'.
returning default value: ''

Warning: configHandler.py - IdleConf.GetCoreKeys -
problem retrieving key binding for event '<<cut>>'
from key set 'test'.
returning default value: ['<Control-x>', '<Control-X>']

[...]

Well... You did say it had died while you were editing key-stroke
configurations, didn't you?

Looks like the entire configuration file may be corrupt... At least,
everything from that "test" section looks bad.

Since these are probably written to stderr, and pythonw (the default
for .pyw) doesn't have a console, it has not stderr -- and likely aborts
on the first error.

May need to restore the config file from a backup (if you have one),
or... maybe with a complete start-up via console, you can perform a
do-nothing edit of the config and resave, and that might recreate all
the missing items. {I'm vague as I don't use IDLE -- PythonWin is my
interface}
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

mikez302

I was able to start IDLE from the command line, and reset my keyboard
shortcuts. It works fine now. In case this happens again, where
would I find the config file?

Dennis Lee Bieber

I was able to start IDLE from the command line, and reset my keyboard
shortcuts. It works fine now. In case this happens again, where
would I find the config file?

Mine looks to be: E:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\config-keys.def (along
with config-extensions.def, config-highlight.def, config-main.def)