Idle won't start when Python is installed in Program Files directory

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gary Feldman, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Gary Feldman

    Gary Feldman Guest

    Since I prefer to keep all my installed programs in one place, I went ahead
    and installed Python in Program Files/Python. The command line shell seems
    to work just fine, and I'm able to import things like urllib and its
    dependencies.

    However, I can't get Idle to startup. When I try running it manually (i.e.
    python ...idle.py), I get
    E:program: can't open file 'Files\Python\python.exe

    Obviously this is an error in in parsing the path name, but I can't figure
    out where it's occurring. I've instrumented the python code, and it seems
    to happen on the call to accept, but instrumenting the .c code and
    rebuilding the socket library is more than I'm willing to do right now.
    I'm also not sure it isn't being triggered in a different process (which
    makes more sense to me), but I don't know why the main process would die in
    accept. (I have prints before and after the call to self._sock.accept().).

    In any event, the obvious workaround for me is to move my install.
    However, I'm not sure if this is a known problem, a new problem, or a
    "won't be fixed" problem.

    Many thanks,

    Gary

    Gary Feldman, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Gary Feldman

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Gary Feldman <> wrote:

    >In any event, the obvious workaround for me is to move my install.
    >However, I'm not sure if this is a known problem, a new problem, or a
    >"won't be fixed" problem.

    http://www.python.org/2.3/bugs.html

    There will likely be some fix made, but this is a difficult problem to
    *keep* fixed on Windows.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    with useful practice. --Aahz

    Aahz, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Gary Feldman

    Gary Feldman Guest

    On 18 Aug 2003 13:19:52 -0400, (Aahz) wrote:

    >http://www.python.org/2.3/bugs.html

    Thanks for the pointer. (Interestingly, I got a little confused by
    following to the SourceForge bug pointers, because there's nothing on the
    bug report page that clearly indicates the project. I guess they don't
    expect people to get there by direct links.)

    Gary

    Gary Feldman, Aug 18, 2003