    I am sure it is something trivial that I am not doing
    Any thoughts
    George

    george, Aug 20, 2004

  2. george schreef:

    > Newbie question.
    >
    > Installed Python 2.4 successfully.
    > However, double clicking on the IDLE icon activates the hour glass
    > cursor and then dies. The IDLE window does not come up.
    > I am sure it is something trivial that I am not doing

    Happended to me too. Idle is trying to get access to tcp/ip
    services and can't find them on Windows. You have to start Idle
    with an option to disable threading, or something. Don't know
    what feature exactly, I'm not on Windows now, luckily.

    In any case, you should open a shell Window, and start Idle from
    the command line. That should tell you what the problem is.

    --
    Peter Kleiweg L:NL,af,da,de,en,ia,nds,no,sv,(fr,it) S:NL,de,en,(da,ia)
    info: http://www.let.rug.nl/~kleiweg/ls.html

    Peter Kleiweg, Aug 20, 2004

  3. george

    Daniel Yoo Guest

    Peter Kleiweg <> wrote:
    : george schreef:

    :> Newbie question.
    :>
    :> Installed Python 2.4 successfully.
    :> However, double clicking on the IDLE icon activates the hour glass
    :> cursor and then dies. The IDLE window does not come up.
    :> I am sure it is something trivial that I am not doing

    : Happended to me too. Idle is trying to get access to tcp/ip
    : services and can't find them on Windows.

    You may have port '8833' blocked: that's the port that IDLE uses to
    talk to itself. Windows XP comes with a firewall that's a bit
    hostile, and if the firewall is on, then it prevents IDLE from running.

    If it is a firewall issue, then it may be fixable. Microsoft has an
    article that explains how to open up port:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_november12.mspx

    Good luck!

    Daniel Yoo, Aug 20, 2004