IDREF to external file

Neil Zanella

Hello,

Is it possible to specify an IDREF to an element to an external file
in a DTD? I really need this feature cause that way I can do a good
job of validating the XML files I am using.

Thanks,

Neil

Keith M. Corbett

Neil Zanella said:
Hello,

Is it possible to specify an IDREF to an element to an external file
in a DTD? I really need this feature cause that way I can do a good
job of validating the XML files I am using.

If what you want is to validate an XML instance containing IDREF attribute
values that refer to ID attribute values in a separate XML instance, then
no, that is not permitted by the XML spec. (See "Validity constraint:
IDREF")

You could cause a file containing ID attributes to be included in the XML
instance containing IDREF attributes. Depending on file sizes, this may or
may not be desirable for reasons such as performance or memory usage.

/kmc

Andy Dingley

Is it possible to specify an IDREF to an element to an external file
in a DTD?

No, look at RDF for examples of the issues that arise from this. It's
not an easy problem to solve simply.