    job of validating the XML files I am using.

    Thanks,

    Neil

    Neil Zanella, Nov 7, 2004

  2. "Neil Zanella" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible to specify an IDREF to an element to an external file
    > in a DTD? I really need this feature cause that way I can do a good
    > job of validating the XML files I am using.

    If what you want is to validate an XML instance containing IDREF attribute
    values that refer to ID attribute values in a separate XML instance, then
    no, that is not permitted by the XML spec. (See "Validity constraint:
    IDREF")

    You could cause a file containing ID attributes to be included in the XML
    instance containing IDREF attributes. Depending on file sizes, this may or
    may not be desirable for reasons such as performance or memory usage.

    /kmc

    Keith M. Corbett, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Neil Zanella

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 6 Nov 2004 17:22:21 -0800, (Neil Zanella) wrote:

    >Is it possible to specify an IDREF to an element to an external file
    >in a DTD?

    No, look at RDF for examples of the issues that arise from this. It's
    not an easy problem to solve simply.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Nov 7, 2004