IDs in a DataGrid

MikeD

Hello,

I'm still a bit new to all this and am probably asking the question the
wrong way but...

I would like to represent a SQL Table in a data grid and allow the user to
edit the values. In my simplest scenario a table has only an ID field and a
Name field. What I would like to be able to do is (if possible) only show
the Name field in the datagrid, but when I do I run into problems about
identifying that record when I wish to save the result back to the table.

So far the only way I have managed to do it is to also show the ID field and
have it editable, but this could cause problems as the ID is auto generated
by the table and can not change.

If I make the ID column read only then it errors when I try to read the
value in the Submit code.

How should I do this so the ID is preferably not visible but at a minimum is
not editable?

TIA

<M>ike

Sink

Set the column's Visble=False

<asp:BoundColumn Visbile="False" DataField="<Your Key
Field>"></asp:BoundColumn>

Regards
Sink

Guest