idverify.irs.gov, which result?

Nehmo Sergheyev

This is either a tax question or an HTML question. After an unusually
long one-month wait for a refund, I get a letter from the IRS asking I
go to a site of theirs: idverify.irs.gov
The site asked a few multiple-choice questions to verify my identity,
and I believe I answered all correctly. (One, “which cities of this
list have you lived in” had “None of the above” as an optional answer,
and “Phoenix” as another optional answer. I had only lived in Phoenix
briefly and did not file taxes from there, but I did reside there, so
I answered correctly. But I’m not sure that is consistent with IRS’s
information. ) Anyway, the site appeared to verify me and served a
page stating “You have successfully completed the Identity
verification process. The IRS will Process your return.”
Fine. However, I pressed the browser’s back button and got a page
stating the opposite conclusion: We were unable to verify you online.”
Now, I believe the original screen is the meaningful one, but I’m a
bit concerned. Opinions please?

Arthur Kamlet

[...]

I believe by hitting Back you erased whatever you had done earlier.
Start afresh and see what happens this time.