IE 5.0 SP2: Redirect form to another frame in modal dialog

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Kai Grossjohann, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Using window.showModalDialog, I open a frameset comprising two frames.
    The top frame contains a form, the target of the form is the bottom
    frame. If the user has made an error filling out the form, then the
    bottom frame will show the errors. If there is no error, the modal
    dialog will be closed.

    In IE 6, the form target works as intended, and the error messages
    show up in the bottom frame.

    In IE 5.0, using window.open instead of window.showModalDialog, it
    also works.

    But in IE 5.0, using window.showModalDialog, the error messages show
    up in the top frame, replacing the form.

    Is there a way to make IE 5.0 behave like IE 6?

    If not, how do I distinguish between the browsers so that I can use
    the right behavior for each one? (A workaround would be that the
    search form redisplays itself on error, with error messages appended.
    But I can't use that approach in IE 6 because IE 6 does not allow the
    form to redraw itself. IE6 opens a new window in that case.)

    Kai
    Kai Grossjohann, Nov 21, 2003