IE 6.0 hangs when click on submit button of ASP.NET page

Nam

ASP.NET 1.1.4322
Server1: Windows Server Enterprise Ed 2003 – SP2
Server2: Same as Server 1.
IE 6.0 –SP2

After we migrated our website from server1 to server2 everything works fine
accept for the following on one page:

When you click on Save button, this page is supposed to copy a file from
website-A to website-B and display a second webpage (that shows the message
“Your file was copied successfully...etc., etc.â€). The both websites are on
the same server – Server2.

This functionality was working fine on server 1. However, on server 2, the
file is copied ok on website-B, but IE hangs (with a white page) and it does
not return to the second webpage (even after refreshing the IE). But when you
open the application again, the second page is displayed with the message
“Your file was copied successfully...etc., etc.â€.

Both websites on server 2 are using DefaultAppPool that is running under a
domain user account. Both websites have exact same configurations as on
Server1. The application is the exact same copy of the application on server1.

When we use impersonation, the above functionality works fine. But we do not
want to use impersonation for security reasons and, we were not using
impersonation on Server1 either.

Thanks,
Nam

Just Me

If the file is actually copying, its not a permissions problem. Can you
attach to the process and debug the forms code running on the server to see
where its failing, step it through.?

David Wang

ASP.NET 1.1.4322
Server1: Windows Server Enterprise Ed 2003 - SP2
Server2: Same as Server 1.
IE 6.0 -SP2

After we migrated our website from server1 to server2 everything works fine
accept for the following on one page:

When you click on Save button, this page is supposed to copy a file from
website-A to website-B and display a second webpage (that shows the message
"Your file was copied successfully...etc., etc."). The both websites are on
the same server - Server2.

This functionality was working fine on server 1. However, on server 2, the
file is copied ok on website-B, but IE hangs (with a white page) and it does
not return to the second webpage (even after refreshing the IE). But when you
open the application again, the second page is displayed with the message
"Your file was copied successfully...etc., etc.".

Both websites on server 2 are using DefaultAppPool that is running under a
domain user account. Both websites have exact same configurations as on
Server1. The application is the exact same copy of the application on server1.

When we use impersonation, the above functionality works fine. But we do not
want to use impersonation for security reasons and, we were not using
impersonation on Server1 either.

Thanks,
Nam

This does not sound like an issue with IIS, IE, ASP.Net. It sounds
like you failed to migrate all dependent configuration of your web
application from server1 to server2.

Since you have the steps to reproduce the issue, I recommend you
attach debuggers to your website and figure it out. It sounds like
your code failed to access something using the application pool
identity after it copied the file -- so you get the "blank/hanging"
page. You'll need to figure out what is causing that failure so that
things work again.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
//

Nam

Thank you all for trying to help me out. I will use debugger at work on
Monday. Keep in mind that the exact same code works on Server1. I also
noticed that the above functionality works fine on Firefox. But most of our
users use IE 6.0. I will keep you updated.

David Wang

Thanks for the clarification and confirmation that your problem is
really not with IIS, ASP.Net, nor security.

You say you have the same code working on Server1, which is your
attempt to say that the problem is not with your code.

You also said that you have the same IIS and ASP.Net code on Server1
as Server2, so applying your logic, you also say that the problem is
not with IIS and ASP.Net.

This leaves missing replication of your application's dependencies as
the biggest culprit.

You said that you can get things to work by changing permissions on
server2.

I speculate that you are probably missing some ACL somewhere that your
application depends upon to function.

And why it works with Firefox but not IE6? Browsers can handle error
conditions differently. Expecting browsers to handle error conditions
in the same manner is unreasonable since it is not defined as any
standard. If you want consistent behavior, make sure your application
does not get into error conditions that the browser sees (this is why
custom error pages exist -- gives your server-side application control
of what the browser displays for "errors").

Please keep us posted on the results of your debugging of the
application.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
//

Nam

Thanks again for your continued interest in trying to resolve the issue. I
ran the IIS Diagnostic tool on Server 2 to check the authentication on the
website on Server2 and it displayed the following (errors) results.

I ran the same tool on Server1 to check the authentication on the similar
website (that is running fine) and it displayed the message of success
(meaning authentications are fine on Server1).

I have checked that both the servers have the SPN’s set for the domain
account 'MyDomain\AccountName' that the DefaultAppPool is running under.
Websites are configured to use this DefaultAppPool.

What else, can someone suggest, I should do to resolve the following messages:

-----Begin: The outcome of the Diagnostic Tool On Server 2--------------
Service principal name (SPN) for user 'MyDomain\AccountName' not found in
Active Directory Path:W3SVC AuthType:Kerberos

Server's response: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden Path:W3SVC/3/ROOT

Service principal name (SPN) for user 'MyDomain\AccountName' not found in
Active Directory Path:W3SVC/3/ROOT AuthType:Kerberos

Test Authentication Path:W3SVC/3/ROOT
Server's response: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden AuthType:NTLM

-----End: The outcome of the Diagnostic Tool On Server 2--------------

Thanks in advance.........