    greatly appreciated.

    Kind regards,
    Michel

    Webdesigner, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Webdesigner

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Webdesigner
    <> writing in news:40c1b8bf$0$1951
    $:

    > LS,
    >
    > Sorry if this has been answered before.
    >
    > I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute everytime
    > I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
    >
    > As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something :)
    >
    > Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
    >
    > Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Michel

    Did you run a virus scan and a spyware scan? Sometimes spyware can affect
    IE strangely.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Webdesigner

    Mightyking Guest

    Adrienne wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Webdesigner
    > <> writing in news:40c1b8bf$0$1951
    > $:
    >

    >>LS,
    >>
    >>Sorry if this has been answered before.
    >>
    >>I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute everytime
    >>I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
    >>
    >>As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something :)
    >>
    >>Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
    >>
    >>Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would be
    >>greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Kind regards,
    >>Michel

    > Did you run a virus scan and a spyware scan? Sometimes spyware can affect
    > IE strangely.

    Thank you for replying Adrienne,

    I have run the latest Ad-Aware version, as usual only a couple of
    tracking cookies found.
    Virusscanner found nothing.

    Does this mean I am the first one with a built-in pop-up blocker in IE6
    :) Anyway, this is kinda annoying. More advise would be welcome.

    Thx,
    Michel

    Mightyking, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Webdesigner

    DU Guest

    Mightyking wrote:
    > Adrienne wrote:
    >
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Webdesigner
    >> <> writing in news:40c1b8bf$0$1951
    >> $:
    >>

    >>> LS,
    >>>
    >>> Sorry if this has been answered before.
    >>>
    >>> I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute
    >>> everytime I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
    >>>
    >>> As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something :)
    >>>
    >>> Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
    >>>
    >>> Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would
    >>> be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards,
    >>> Michel

    >> Did you run a virus scan and a spyware scan? Sometimes spyware can
    >> affect IE strangely.
    >>

    > Thank you for replying Adrienne,
    >
    > I have run the latest Ad-Aware version, as usual only a couple of
    > tracking cookies found.
    > Virusscanner found nothing.
    >
    > Does this mean I am the first one with a built-in pop-up blocker in IE6
    > :) Anyway, this is kinda annoying. More advise would be welcome.
    >
    > Thx,
    > Michel

    More advise? Okay. Here goes:

    > LS,
    >
    > Sorry if this has been answered before.

    If you suspect that your question may have been answered before, then
    why not search by yourself - without any hidden shame - for the given
    answers? Maybe there is a reason as to why there are FAQs around and why
    google.com archives newsgroup discussions, you know.. Maybe - just a
    thought here - searching at msdn

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/dhtml_node_entry.asp

    on the target attribute and related issues could be helpful.

    > I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute everytime
    > I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.

    No code provided. No url provided. Not much specifics, concrete. There
    is not much to go on here.
    A link could have a target="_blank" attribute and have an
    over-excessively, extensively coded onclick event handler too, you see.

    > As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something :)

    Even on that, you don't seem so sure of yourself here. Again, no
    specifics and you're the one bringing up this pop-up blocker issue.

    > Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
    >
    > Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Michel

    Here's a modest suggestion: before asking for solution, maybe just start
    by writing an helpful summary of the problem with relevant details,
    along with specific elements which *_you know_* would be useful or
    helpful into finding and establishing what would be the problem.
    If you believe that not providing an url nor providing sufficient chunks
    of relevant code will help readers of your post, then please do NOT give
    an url and do NOT write any code. Do not post something that you know
    won't nor wouldn't help your pursued post purposes.

    Glad I could help :)

    DU

    DU, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Webdesigner

    Webdesigner Guest

    DU wrote:
    > Mightyking wrote:
    >
    >> Adrienne wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Webdesigner
    >>> <> writing in news:40c1b8bf$0$1951
    >>> $:

    >>> Did you run a virus scan and a spyware scan? Sometimes spyware can
    >>> affect IE strangely.
    >>>

    >> Thank you for replying Adrienne,
    >>
    >> I have run the latest Ad-Aware version, as usual only a couple of
    >> tracking cookies found.
    >> Virusscanner found nothing.
    >>
    >> Does this mean I am the first one with a built-in pop-up blocker in
    >> IE6 :) Anyway, this is kinda annoying. More advise would be welcome.
    >>
    >> Thx,
    >> Michel

    > More advise? Okay. Here goes:
    >
    > > LS,
    > >
    > > Sorry if this has been answered before.
    > >

    > If you suspect that your question may have been answered before, then
    > why not search by yourself - without any hidden shame - for the given
    > answers?

    Well quite simple, I did search, and yes I have tried google

    Maybe there is a reason as to why there are FAQs around and why
    > google.com archives newsgroup discussions, you know.. Maybe - just a
    > thought here - searching at msdn
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/dhtml_node_entry.asp

    Great, but I am not looking for a (d)html tutorial. I am aware how to
    make valid xhtml pages, it's just that one of my browsers seems to have
    a problem interpreting everything that points to target=_blank.

    > on the target attribute and related issues could be helpful.
    >
    > > I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute everytime
    > > I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
    > >

    > No code provided. No url provided. Not much specifics, concrete. There
    > is not much to go on here.
    > A link could have a target="_blank" attribute and have an
    > over-excessively, extensively coded onclick event handler too, you see.

    As I said: <quote>I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a
    minute everytime I click a link containing the target="_blank"
    value.</quote>

    To make this more visible to you: this means ALL anchors opening in a
    new window.

    > > As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something :)
    > >

    > Even on that, you don't seem so sure of yourself here. Again, no
    > specifics and you're the one bringing up this pop-up blocker issue.

    Well I am not able to answer what the hell Microsoft, or for that matter
    any other company, whose software I'm using, is putting on my
    computer, since I'm not looking at each source code, even if available.
    I doubt you know every ins-and-outs of what is on your computer. And
    even if you did Microsoft Windows, and that includes Internet Explorer,
    is still closed software.

    > > Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
    > >
    > > Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would be
    > > greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Kind regards,
    > > Michel

    > Here's a modest suggestion: before asking for solution, maybe just start
    > by writing an helpful summary of the problem with relevant details,
    > along with specific elements which *_you know_* would be useful or
    > helpful into finding and establishing what would be the problem.
    > If you believe that not providing an url nor providing sufficient chunks
    > of relevant code will help readers of your post, then please do NOT give
    > an url and do NOT write any code. Do not post something that you know
    > won't nor wouldn't help your pursued post purposes.

    I have provided all the information I know. I am not using windows
    computers on a daily basis, and I like to keep it that way. The reason I
    am using Internet Explorer sometimes, is just that I like to view my
    website creations, the same way as the majority of my website visitors do.

    Now the reason I posted in alt.html is because I suspect that besides
    html knowledge there is also alot of knowledge about the browser itself.

    > Glad I could help :)
    >
    > DU

    I am disappointed that I have received a mild flame, from you, for what
    I think seems a valid question. I believe that's what a newsgroup is
    for, isn't it?

    Nevertheless thank you for your time.
    Michel

    Webdesigner, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Webdesigner

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <40c3015b$0$1957$>,
    says...
    > I am disappointed that I have received a mild flame, from you, for what
    > I think seems a valid question. I believe that's what a newsgroup is
    > for, isn't it?

    Actually, no, it is not here for a help forum, but you can usually find
    help. You just have to separate the chaff from the seed that's all.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 6, 2004