ie 7.0 fonts

windandwaves

Hey Folk

I just did a test run for IE 7.0 - nothing too special... It all seems
to be working pretty well, nice design. However, the fonts are
amazing.... That is really a huge change. It makes your PC look like a
MAC. The fonts are anti-aliased? This is really a design thing and
not a technical issue, so I am not sure if I should discuss here, but I
just wanted to express my excitement about this... Will my beloved FF
do the same thing? The crazy thing is that Outlook does the same thing
so it is really something that is deeply embedded in windows. Having
said that, I dont see it in any other programme....

Let me know what you think...

Nicolaas

Benjamin Niemann

Hello,
I just did a test run for IE 7.0 - nothing too special... It all seems
to be working pretty well, nice design. However, the fonts are
amazing.... That is really a huge change. It makes your PC look like a
MAC. The fonts are anti-aliased? This is really a design thing and
not a technical issue, so I am not sure if I should discuss here, but I
just wanted to express my excitement about this... Will my beloved FF
do the same thing? The crazy thing is that Outlook does the same thing
so it is really something that is deeply embedded in windows. Having
said that, I dont see it in any other programme....

AFAIK this is ClearType which is enabled in IE7. It's also available for all
other apps, but you'll have to enable it manually (don't ask me how, I'm a
Linux user...).

See also http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/03/03/543181.aspx (which I
didn't read in detail).

TC

Benjamin said:
Hello,

AFAIK this is ClearType which is enabled in IE7. It's also available for all
other apps, but you'll have to enable it manually (don't ask me how, I'm a
Linux user...).

It's not just IE. I enabled it on my XP SP2 laptop, and almost
everything started using it.

Display Properties : Appearance : Effects : Use the following method to
smooth edges of screen fonts: "ClearType".

HTH,
TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com

windandwaves

wow, interesting - thanks everyone for replying... That is superuseful
- I SOOOO prefer these fonts.... They are indeed easier to read and
they look less pixilated.

Toby Inkster

Thomas said:
windandwaves let this slip:

and I though everything was antialiased these days. But then, most is
on linux ;)

Indeed. All my browsers have had anti-aliased text for years -- even Lynx.