IE 7.0 Problems

Discussion in 'HTML' started by web@mastaar.com, Nov 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi.. I just found this group, so I hope someone here can help me.

    I'm having problems with my html code.. It look like my index file has
    an iframe when I open it in the new IE 7.0. That suck, because it is
    just my index.html file and my home.html file that looks that way.

    If I open my website in Opera or Firefox I don't get this... What is
    wrong with my conding?
    One other thing I can't figure out is how to import javascripts in a
    validating way...(the code work but is not valid xhtml)
    I use strict xhtml.. and I get this fault from the w3c validator:

    Error Line 20 column 17: there is no attribute "language".
    <script language="JavaScript">

    My website is: http://mastaar.com..

    these pages looks wrong in IE7.0:
    * http://www,mastaar.com/index.html
    * http://www,mastaar.com/home.html

    If you compare it with IE 7.0 against Opera/firefox you will see what I
    mean about the
    scrollbars..

    I know my website does not show correct in IE 6.0 also - but there is
    so much that don't work there so I just put a javascript popup to
    explain that to my visiters..

    I hope somebody know why this happen and can help me, cos I am stuck..
    I welcome all help I can get.

    Thanks in advanse.

    greeting, tor
    [mastaar]
    , Nov 1, 2006

  2. wrote :
    > Hi.. I just found this group, so I hope someone here can help me.
    >
    > I'm having problems with my html code..

    This is wrong:
    <link href="files/if_ie_below_70.js" type="text/javascript" />

    This is correct:
    <script type="text/javascript" href="files/if_ie_below_70.js"></script>

    It look like my index file has
    > an iframe when I open it in the new IE 7.0. That suck, because it is
    > just my index.html file and my home.html file that looks that way.
    >
    > If I open my website in Opera or Firefox I don't get this... What is
    > wrong with my conding?
    > One other thing I can't figure out is how to import javascripts in a
    > validating way...(the code work but is not valid xhtml)
    > I use strict xhtml.. and I get this fault from the w3c validator:
    >
    > Error Line 20 column 17: there is no attribute "language".
    > <script language="JavaScript">

    language is deprecated; type is both backward and forward-compatible.

    > My website is: http://mastaar.com..
    >

    > these pages looks wrong in IE7.0:
    > * http://www,mastaar.com/index.html
    > * http://www,mastaar.com/home.html

    Do not put carriage return in the url of the doctype declaration.

    Do not do:

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/
    xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

    Instead do:

    Also,

    Do not do:

    but instead

    or even better: don't pre-write the subject line.

    Why lang="nb" ?

    Why not lang="en" ?

    > If you compare it with IE 7.0 against Opera/firefox you will see what I
    > mean about the
    > scrollbars..
    >
    > I know my website does not show correct in IE 6.0 also - but there is
    > so much that don't work there so I just put a javascript popup

    I do not recommend to use a popup for this.

    > explain that to my visiters..

    Well, then I recommend you do this in a much better way.
    First you should try to fix as many problems you see with MSIE 6 that
    you can. If your design is simple, you may even not have to make any
    kind of notice.

    Then you can write a disclaimer (or a link to a conformance notice) at
    the bottom of the page which would be saying something like "This
    webpage complies with known and established W3C web standards. If you
    are using MSIE 6, then the webpage(s) may not render as intended. You
    are invited to use Firefox 2.0 or Opera 9.1" or any kind of speech you
    would like to tell them. You could use conditional comment to do this
    for optimal impact.

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Nov 1, 2006

    Thansks a lot! This helped me alot.

    Some answers:
    > Why lang="nb" ?
    > Why not lang="en" ?

    This I just overlooked.. I copyed the code from one of my
    html-test-pages - which is in norwegian language.. This is now fixed.

    Yeah, I agree with you that it is better to let the visiters write his
    own subject, so fixed that one as well. But jeah I see what was wrote
    wrong now when you tell me.

    About the popup. I found a wat that might just work: But until I get
    the website to look ok in MS60 also, I'll just stick to the popup..

    <!--[if IE]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="source for file"
    media="all">
    <![endif]-->

    A problem with this could be that this css now will load both in IE
    below 70 and the new 70 version..

    Do you know how to fix this? I know it is a bad thing to use javascript
    becase the browsers just might stop the popup with a pop-up-blocker..
    and many people just don't notice the popup (click ok withouth reading
    any of the text in the pop-up-box) or just don't want to open it.. Some
    people also might have javascript turned off..

    So I use this script only as a temporary solution until I figure out
    how to get a working css for both browsers..

    Now.. This problem with the scrollbars in IE70, do you or anybody else
    know wht they show om my index.html page and the home.html page?..
    This is still a mystery to me.. They don't show on my other pages and
    they don't show in IE.60 or below or in Opera or Firefox..

    One other thing I just wondered..

    How can I code a link that shows in in a new window..
    This is kind of strange cos when I validate my links.html page I get
    only one error.. I have used target a bunch of times.. I'v heared that
    target is the wrong way of doing it in strict but don't know how else
    to do this..

    Error Line 46 column 51: there is no attribute "target".
    ....ef="http://www.mandolux.com/" target="_blank">Mandolux:
    Wallpaper-art</a></..

    Many thanks again,
    Tor Andreassen

    Gérard Talbot skrev:
    > wrote :
    > > Hi.. I just found this group, so I hope someone here can help me.
    > >
    > > I'm having problems with my html code..

    > This is wrong:
    > <link href="files/if_ie_below_70.js" type="text/javascript" />
    >
    > This is correct:
    > <script type="text/javascript" href="files/if_ie_below_70.js"></script>
    >
    > It look like my index file has
    > > an iframe when I open it in the new IE 7.0. That suck, because it is
    > > just my index.html file and my home.html file that looks that way.
    > >
    > > If I open my website in Opera or Firefox I don't get this... What is
    > > wrong with my conding?
    > > One other thing I can't figure out is how to import javascripts in a
    > > validating way...(the code work but is not valid xhtml)
    > > I use strict xhtml.. and I get this fault from the w3c validator:
    > >
    > > Error Line 20 column 17: there is no attribute "language".
    > > <script language="JavaScript">
    > >

    > language is deprecated; type is both backward and forward-compatible.
    >
    > > My website is: http://mastaar.com..
    > >

    > > these pages looks wrong in IE7.0:
    > > * http://www,mastaar.com/index.html
    > > * http://www,mastaar.com/home.html
    > >

    > Do not put carriage return in the url of the doctype declaration.
    >
    > Do not do:

    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/
    > xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    >
    > Instead do:

    > Also,
    >
    > Do not do:
    >
    > but instead

    > or even better: don't pre-write the subject line.
    >
    > Why lang="nb" ?
    >
    > Why not lang="en" ?
    >

    > > If you compare it with IE 7.0 against Opera/firefox you will see what I
    > > mean about the
    > > scrollbars..
    > >
    > > I know my website does not show correct in IE 6.0 also - but there is
    > > so much that don't work there so I just put a javascript popup

    > I do not recommend to use a popup for this.

    > > explain that to my visiters..
    > >

    > Well, then I recommend you do this in a much better way.
    > First you should try to fix as many problems you see with MSIE 6 that
    > you can. If your design is simple, you may even not have to make any
    > kind of notice.
    >
    > Then you can write a disclaimer (or a link to a conformance notice) at
    > the bottom of the page which would be saying something like "This
    > webpage complies with known and established W3C web standards. If you
    > are using MSIE 6, then the webpage(s) may not render as intended. You
    > are invited to use Firefox 2.0 or Opera 9.1" or any kind of speech you
    > would like to tell them. You could use conditional comment to do this
    > for optimal impact.
    >
    > Gérard
    > --
    > remove blah to email me
    , Nov 2, 2006

    Gérard Talbot skrev:
    > wrote :
    > > Hi.. I just found this group, so I hope someone here can help me.
    > >
    > > I'm having problems with my html code..

    > This is wrong:
    > <link href="files/if_ie_below_70.js" type="text/javascript" />
    >
    > This is correct:
    > <script type="text/javascript" href="files/if_ie_below_70.js"></script>
    >
    > It look like my index file has
    > > an iframe when I open it in the new IE 7.0. That suck, because it is
    > > just my index.html file and my home.html file that looks that way.
    > >
    > > If I open my website in Opera or Firefox I don't get this... What is
    > > wrong with my conding?
    > > One other thing I can't figure out is how to import javascripts in a
    > > validating way...(the code work but is not valid xhtml)
    > > I use strict xhtml.. and I get this fault from the w3c validator:
    > >
    > > Error Line 20 column 17: there is no attribute "language".
    > > <script language="JavaScript">
    > >

    > language is deprecated; type is both backward and forward-compatible.
    >
    > > My website is: http://mastaar.com..
    > >

    > > these pages looks wrong in IE7.0:
    > > * http://www,mastaar.com/index.html
    > > * http://www,mastaar.com/home.html
    > >

    > Do not put carriage return in the url of the doctype declaration.
    >
    > Do not do:

    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/
    > xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    >
    > Instead do:

    > Also,
    >
    > Do not do:
    >
    > but instead

    > or even better: don't pre-write the subject line.
    >
    > Why lang="nb" ?
    >
    > Why not lang="en" ?
    >

    > > If you compare it with IE 7.0 against Opera/firefox you will see what I
    > > mean about the
    > > scrollbars..
    > >
    > > I know my website does not show correct in IE 6.0 also - but there is
    > > so much that don't work there so I just put a javascript popup

    > I do not recommend to use a popup for this.

    > > explain that to my visiters..
    > >

    > Well, then I recommend you do this in a much better way.
    > First you should try to fix as many problems you see with MSIE 6 that
    > you can. If your design is simple, you may even not have to make any
    > kind of notice.
    >
    > Then you can write a disclaimer (or a link to a conformance notice) at
    > the bottom of the page which would be saying something like "This
    > webpage complies with known and established W3C web standards. If you
    > are using MSIE 6, then the webpage(s) may not render as intended. You
    > are invited to use Firefox 2.0 or Opera 9.1" or any kind of speech you
    > would like to tell them. You could use conditional comment to do this
    > for optimal impact.
    >
    > Gérard
    > --
    > remove blah to email me
    , Nov 2, 2006
  5. BootNic Guest

    > <> wrote:
    > Thansks a lot! This helped me alot.

    [snip]

    > <!--[if IE]>
    > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="source for file"
    > media="all">
    > <![endif]-->
    >
    > A problem with this could be that this css now will load both in IE
    > below 70 and the new 70 version..
    >
    > Do you know how to fix this? I know it is a bad thing to use
    > javascript becase the browsers just might stop the popup with a
    > pop-up-blocker.. and many people just don't notice the popup (click
    > ok withouth reading any of the text in the pop-up-box) or just don't
    > want to open it.. Some people also might have javascript turned off..

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp

    <!--[if gte IE 5.5 & lte IE 6]>
    <![endif]-->

    <!--[if lte IE 6]>
    <![endif]-->

    <!--[if lt IE 7]>
    <![endif]-->

    <!--[if gte IE 7]>
    <![endif]-->

    <!--[if !IE]> <-->
    <!--> <![endif]-->

    [snip]

    --
    BootNic Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:08 AM

    A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your
    step as you walk the tightrope of life
    *William Arthur Ward*
    BootNic, Nov 2, 2006

    Thanks This helped me!

    Anyone else know the other problems I have In IE 7? That one about the
    srollbars?

    BootNic skrev:
    > > <> wrote:
    > > Thansks a lot! This helped me alot.

    > [snip]
    >
    > > <!--[if IE]>
    > > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="source for file"
    > > media="all">
    > > <![endif]-->
    > >
    > > A problem with this could be that this css now will load both in IE
    > > below 70 and the new 70 version..
    > >
    > > Do you know how to fix this? I know it is a bad thing to use
    > > javascript becase the browsers just might stop the popup with a
    > > pop-up-blocker.. and many people just don't notice the popup (click
    > > ok withouth reading any of the text in the pop-up-box) or just don't
    > > want to open it.. Some people also might have javascript turned off..

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp
    >
    > <!--[if gte IE 5.5 & lte IE 6]>
    > <![endif]-->
    >
    > <!--[if lte IE 6]>
    > <![endif]-->
    >
    > <!--[if lt IE 7]>
    > <![endif]-->
    >
    > <!--[if gte IE 7]>
    > <![endif]-->
    >
    > <!--[if !IE]> <-->
    > <!--> <![endif]-->
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > --
    > BootNic Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:08 AM
    >
    > A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your
    > step as you walk the tightrope of life
    > *William Arthur Ward*
    , Nov 5, 2006
  7. BootNic Guest

    >> BootNic skrev:
    [snip]

    > <> wrote:
    > Thanks This helped me!
    >
    > Anyone else know the other problems I have In IE 7? That one about
    > the srollbars?

    I suspect that there is a better way to fix this, I am just not willing to
    rewrite it.

    Start over would be a good ideal. With that being said, a temporary
    fix for the situation would be:

    <!--[if gte IE 7]>
    body > div { overflow:visible; }
    <![endif]-->

    --
    BootNic Sunday, November 05, 2006 12:25 PM

    Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.
    *Agatha Christie*
    BootNic, Nov 5, 2006