IE _top linking buggy? workaround available?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. Hi everybody,

    I have a problem with a certain link pattern that gets resolved wrong in
    the IE, but works find on Firefox. Maybe somebody has an idea, how to
    work around it.

    I have an .html file that has a CSS and two div sections, the body
    itself is empty. One div section has an embedded object of type
    "text/html" that is a table of contents. This embedded object includes
    links with target _top that are opened in Firefox in _top, but are
    opened in IE in the div section that contains the object holding the
    table of contents .html file. Understand what I mean?

    Simplified code sample:
    index.html:
    <head>
    <title>my title</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css"/>
    </head>
    <object data="toc.html" type="text/html" height="100%"
    width="220px"></object>

    some text

    toc.html:
    <head>
    <title>table of contents</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="toc.css"/>
    </head>
    <h3> header </h3>
    <ul>
    </ul>

    This works perfectly in Firefox and has the advantage that I only need
    to maintain a single file for the TOC, without server-side includes,
    javascript, php, or anything else. But it does not work in Internet
    Explorer...

    I would be grateful for any hint or idea how to get it working.

    TIA,
    Tom

    Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I have a problem with a certain link pattern that gets resolved wrong in
    > the IE, but works find on Firefox. Maybe somebody has an idea, how to
    > work around it.
    >
    > I have an .html file that has a CSS and two div sections, the body
    > itself is empty. One div section has an embedded object of type
    > "text/html" that is a table of contents. This embedded object includes
    > links with target _top that are opened in Firefox in _top, but are
    > opened in IE in the div section that contains the object holding the
    > table of contents .html file. Understand what I mean?

    <snip code>

    http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html
    WWW FAQs: How do I include one HTML file in another?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 21, 2006

  3. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> I have a problem with a certain link pattern that gets resolved wrong in
    >> the IE, but works find on Firefox. Maybe somebody has an idea, how to
    >> work around it.
    >>
    >> I have an .html file that has a CSS and two div sections, the body
    >> itself is empty. One div section has an embedded object of type
    >> "text/html" that is a table of contents. This embedded object includes
    >> links with target _top that are opened in Firefox in _top, but are
    >> opened in IE in the div section that contains the object holding the
    >> table of contents .html file. Understand what I mean?
    >>

    > <snip code>
    >

    > http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html
    > WWW FAQs: How do I include one HTML file in another?

    that's a nice link, but it only offers the solutions I cannot use and
    explicitly excluded as an option in my original posting.

    Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
    cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
    situation...

    Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >>> Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>> I have a problem with a certain link pattern that gets resolved wrong in
    >>> the IE, but works find on Firefox. Maybe somebody has an idea, how to
    >>> work around it.
    >>>
    >>> I have an .html file that has a CSS and two div sections, the body
    >>> itself is empty. One div section has an embedded object of type
    >>> "text/html" that is a table of contents. This embedded object includes
    >>> links with target _top that are opened in Firefox in _top, but are
    >>> opened in IE in the div section that contains the object holding the
    >>> table of contents .html file. Understand what I mean?
    >>>

    >> <snip code>
    >>

    >> http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html
    >> WWW FAQs: How do I include one HTML file in another?
    >>

    > that's a nice link, but it only offers the solutions I cannot use and
    > explicitly excluded as an option in my original posting.
    >
    > Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
    > cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
    > situation...

    My point was that is not how you should do file includes, Do you have a URL?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 22, 2006
  5. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> <snip code>
    >>>

    >>> http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html
    >>> WWW FAQs: How do I include one HTML file in another?
    >>>

    >> that's a nice link, but it only offers the solutions I cannot use and
    >> explicitly excluded as an option in my original posting.
    >>
    >> Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
    >> cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
    >> situation...

    > My point was that is not how you should do file includes, Do you have a
    > URL?

    yes, www.maier-komor.de.

    As I said, it works great on Firefox, but unfortunately IE fails to
    handle the links in the navigation area.

    Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 22, 2006
  6. Thomas Maier-Komor

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Thomas Maier-Komor quothed:

    > > My point was that is not how you should do file includes, Do you have a
    > > URL?
    > >

    > yes, www.maier-komor.de.
    >
    > As I said, it works great on Firefox, but unfortunately IE fails to
    > handle the links in the navigation area.

    You have no closing object tag - </object>.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 22, 2006
  7. Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
    > cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
    > situation...

    Dumping 80-90% of potential visitors seems a fairly drastic own goal,
    even for a personal site.

    How about using ie include comments to make your site framed (for ie only).

    I don't much like frames, or ie, but ie comments are a neat & compliant
    solution.

    Chris

    Chris Sharman, Mar 22, 2006
  8. Chris Sharman wrote:
    > Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >> Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
    >> cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
    >> situation...

    > Dumping 80-90% of potential visitors seems a fairly drastic own goal,
    > even for a personal site.

    my visitors are >90% UNIX users that are interested in mbuffer. So IE
    support is more or less just for completeness. But I am already having a
    hard time getting the CSS right for IE. Selfhtml misses the details how
    one calculates the margins and paddings for IE, it only has very short
    examples without any further description.

    > How about using ie include comments to make your site framed (for ie only).

    I thought about this, but IFrames look awfully (I couldn't get rid of
    the black frame). And normal frames can only be placed in rows and
    columns. But doing it for IE like this might be an alternative, although
    it sounds like doing all work double to me.

    > I don't much like frames, or ie, but ie comments are a neat & compliant
    > solution.

    Could you point me to an example (not selfhtml) that goes a little bit
    into the details of IE comments?

    Thanks,
    Tom

    Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 22, 2006
  9. Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Thomas Maier-Komor quothed:
    >
    >>> My point was that is not how you should do file includes, Do you have a
    >>> URL?
    >>>

    >> yes, www.maier-komor.de.
    >>
    >> As I said, it works great on Firefox, but unfortunately IE fails to
    >> handle the links in the navigation area.

    > You have no closing object tag - </object>.

    Yep, validation can help here:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...etect automatically)&doctype=Inline&verbose=1
    Result for http://www.maier-komor.de/ - W3C Markup Validator

    You're on an Apache webserver, you must have PHP. This object include is
    just so the 'wrong way' to do this....

    index.php:

    <head>
    <title>Welcome to maier-komor.de</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css">
    </head>
    <?php include_once('toc.html');?>

    <h1>Welcome to maier-komor.de</h1>
    This is the web site of Thomas Maier-Komor.
    Maier-Komor</a></address>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 22, 2006
  10. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> With neither quill nor qualm, Thomas Maier-Komor quothed:

    >>> yes, www.maier-komor.de.
    >>>
    >>> As I said, it works great on Firefox, but unfortunately IE fails to
    >>> handle the links in the navigation area.

    >> You have no closing object tag - </object>.
    >>

    > Yep, validation can help here:
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...etect automatically)&doctype=Inline&verbose=1
    >
    > Result for http://www.maier-komor.de/ - W3C Markup Validator
    >

    > You're on an Apache webserver, you must have PHP. This object include is
    > just so the 'wrong way' to do this....
    >
    > index.php:

    > <head>
    > <title>Welcome to maier-komor.de</title>
    > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css">
    > </head>
    > <?php include_once('toc.html');?>

    > <h1>Welcome to maier-komor.de</h1>
    > This is the web site of Thomas Maier-Komor.
    > Maier-Komor</a></address>

    I tested PHP before, but I am not allowed to use it. Your sample
    (test.html and test.php) on my server just does not include the
    requested file.

    My provider disables PHP and SIS explicitly for me, because I don't pay
    enough ;-) So I will probably have to invest the additional ~60EUR/year
    to get PHP or SIS or switch to another provider.

    Does anybody know a decent German provider that overs either SIS or PHP
    at < 30EUR/year?

    Thanks anyway for all comments.

    Cheers,
    Tom

    Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 22, 2006

    Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 22, 2006
  12. Thomas Maier-Komor

    Axel Guest

    Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> With neither quill nor qualm, Thomas Maier-Komor quothed:

    >>> You have no closing object tag - </object>.
    >>>

    >> Yep, validation can help here:
    >>
    >> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...etect automatically)&doctype=Inline&verbose=1
    >>
    >> Result for http://www.maier-komor.de/ - W3C Markup Validator
    >>

    >> You're on an Apache webserver, you must have PHP. This object include is
    >> just so the 'wrong way' to do this....
    >>
    >> index.php:
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    >> <head>
    >> <title>Welcome to maier-komor.de</title>
    >> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css">
    >> </head>
    >> <?php include_once('toc.html');?>

    >> <h1>Welcome to maier-komor.de</h1>
    >> This is the web site of Thomas Maier-Komor.
    >> Maier-Komor</a></address>
    >>

    > I tested PHP before, but I am not allowed to use it. Your sample
    > (test.html and test.php) on my server just does not include the
    > requested file.
    >
    > My provider disables PHP and SIS explicitly for me, because I don't pay
    > enough ;-) So I will probably have to invest the additional ~60EUR/year
    > to get PHP or SIS or switch to another provider.
    >
    > Does anybody know a decent German provider that overs either SIS or PHP
    > at < 30EUR/year?

    http://shells24.com/de/hostingdetails.htm

    Axel

    Axel, Mar 22, 2006
  13. Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    <snip>
    > I tested PHP before, but I am not allowed to use it. Your sample
    > (test.html and test.php) on my server just does not include the
    > requested file.
    >
    > My provider disables PHP and SIS explicitly for me, because I don't pay
    > enough ;-) So I will probably have to invest the additional ~60EUR/year
    > to get PHP or SIS or switch to another provider.
    >
    > Does anybody know a decent German provider that overs either SIS or PHP
    > at < 30EUR/year?

    30EUR | 37USD/yr is pretty cheap but:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=cheap web hosting $35 year php&btnG=Search
    cheap web hosting $35 year php - Google Search

    Who says it has to be a German Provider?

    http://www.name2host.com/price.htm
    Cheap web hosting & free domain: $2.99/mo for 100Mb, CGI/PHP/MySql ...

    For a few EURs more ...

    I don't use a local hosting company, but one across the country. Less
    than 1/2 the price and many times the disk space and transfer rate...

    NOTE 1: I know nothing about hosting company above, just an example that
    1: they are out there and 2: easy to find.

    NOTE 2: What you are doing now is what is call a 'real kludge' and will
    always be problematic.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 22, 2006
  14. Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Chris Sharman wrote:
    >> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >>> Any other idea concerning my problem? If not I am probably going to
    >>> cancel IE support, as it looks like a bug to me, how IE handles this
    >>> situation...

    >> Dumping 80-90% of potential visitors seems a fairly drastic own goal,
    >> even for a personal site.
    >>

    > my visitors are >90% UNIX users that are interested in mbuffer. So IE
    > support is more or less just for completeness. But I am already having a
    > hard time getting the CSS right for IE. Selfhtml misses the details how
    > one calculates the margins and paddings for IE, it only has very short
    > examples without any further description.
    >
    >> How about using ie include comments to make your site framed (for ie only).
    >>

    > I thought about this, but IFrames look awfully (I couldn't get rid of
    > the black frame). And normal frames can only be placed in rows and
    > columns. But doing it for IE like this might be an alternative, although
    > it sounds like doing all work double to me.
    >
    >> I don't much like frames, or ie, but ie comments are a neat & compliant
    >> solution.
    >>

    > Could you point me to an example (not selfhtml) that goes a little bit
    > into the details of IE comments?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp
    Google for internet explorer conditional comments.

    Basically
    <!--[if IE]>Do yourself a favour - get <em>Firefox</em>.<![endif]-->

    Note that this is a syntactically valid html comment, ignored by all
    well-behaved browsers, but actioned by ie. You can also specify
    different behaviour in different versions, in the unlikely event that
    something gets fixed.

    Unfortunately the syntax for including something in other browsers & not
    ie is not valid (unsurprisingly).
    <[if !IE]>Happy Days<![endif]>

    Chris

    Chris Sharman, Mar 22, 2006
  15. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Chris Sharman wrote:

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp
    > Google for internet explorer conditional comments.
    >
    > Basically
    > <!--[if IE]>Do yourself a favour - get <em>Firefox</em>.<![endif]-->
    >
    > Note that this is a syntactically valid html comment, ignored by all
    > well-behaved browsers, but actioned by ie.

    Indeed.

    > Unfortunately the syntax for including something in other browsers &
    > not ie is not valid (unsurprisingly).

    > <[if !IE]>Happy Days<![endif]>

    After I had devised a way of doing that with valid syntax, I found
    that someone else had already done so, and had come up with a similar,
    but slightly different, answer.

    I haven't extensively tested either one (viz. I only tried IE6), but
    this is its temporary working home, anyway :
    http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/tests/obj.html

    Here's my recipe:

    <!--[if !IE]>
    -->

    ....content for www-compatible browsers...

    <!--
    <![endif]-->

    The newlines are unlikely to be significant, I think - this
    ought to function equally well

    <!--[if !IE]> -->

    [...content for www-compatible browsers...]

    <!-- <![endif]-->

    or maybe even the whitespace is redundant, I don't know.

    Whereas, the technique from "Object Paranoia" goes like this, quoting
    from their web page:

    ---
    /

    <!--[if !IE]> <-->
    Content for everyone except Internet Explorer
    <!--> <![endif]-->

    \___

    I really have no idea whether their extra pointy brackets are doing
    anything beneficial.

    Hope this is useful - let me/us know if there's something goes wrong
    with one or the other in some situation that I hadn't tested.
    thanks.

    Alan J. Flavell, Mar 22, 2006
  16. Chris Sharman wrote:
    > Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >> Chris Sharman wrote:
    >>> Dumping 80-90% of potential visitors seems a fairly drastic own goal,
    >>> even for a personal site.
    >>>

    >> my visitors are >90% UNIX users that are interested in mbuffer. So IE
    >> support is more or less just for completeness. But I am already having a
    >> hard time getting the CSS right for IE. Selfhtml misses the details how
    >> one calculates the margins and paddings for IE, it only has very short
    >> examples without any further description.
    >>
    >>> How about using ie include comments to make your site framed (for ie
    >>> only).
    >>>

    >> I thought about this, but IFrames look awfully (I couldn't get rid of
    >> the black frame). And normal frames can only be placed in rows and
    >> columns. But doing it for IE like this might be an alternative, although
    >> it sounds like doing all work double to me.
    >>
    >>> I don't much like frames, or ie, but ie comments are a neat & compliant
    >>> solution.
    >>>

    >> Could you point me to an example (not selfhtml) that goes a little bit
    >> into the details of IE comments?

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp
    > Google for internet explorer conditional comments.
    >
    > Basically
    > <!--[if IE]>Do yourself a favour - get <em>Firefox</em>.<![endif]-->
    >
    > Note that this is a syntactically valid html comment, ignored by all
    > well-behaved browsers, but actioned by ie. You can also specify
    > different behaviour in different versions, in the unlikely event that
    > something gets fixed.
    >
    > Unfortunately the syntax for including something in other browsers & not
    > ie is not valid (unsurprisingly).
    > <[if !IE]>Happy Days<![endif]>
    >
    > Chris

    Thanks, I will try to do it with Iframes for IE.

    Cheers,
    Tom

    Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 22, 2006

    Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 22, 2006