    does mind, doesn't follow the links. I tried &code; but that didn't help
    me out. Is there a workaround? (Other than renaming the files...)

    Kristian
    Kristian Niemi, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Kristian Niemi

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:cctnlp$78c$>
    Kristian Niemi <> said:

    > Hi,

    g'day

    > The problem is, that some files and images are
    > saved with filenames which include scandinavian characters (åäö).

    rename them.

    > Is there a workaround? (Other than renaming the files...)

    assuming people are uploading the files for your site to display them
    you should be renaming them on receipt anyway so a) you don't have
    problems like you've outlined above and b) people don't
    send-you-or-your-other-visitors-a-rude-message.jpg

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Kristian Niemi

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Kristian Niemi wrote:

    > I'm trying to build a dynamic site for viewing/storing images and files
    > with PHP (and MySQL). The problem is, that some files and images are
    > saved with filenames which include scandinavian characters (åäö).

    I'd suggest simply replacing the Scandinavian characters with their
    closest equivalent, ie. å->a, ö->o, etc. Okay, the filenames might not
    be pronounced the same anymore, but I have a feeling that most native
    speakers would know what it meant :)

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Kristian Niemi <> wrote in message news:<cctnlp$78c$>...
    > I'm trying to build a dynamic site for viewing/storing images and files
    > with PHP (and MySQL). The problem is, that some files and images are
    > saved with filenames which include scandinavian characters (åäö).
    > Netscape-based browsers don't seem to mind, opening files referred
    > to by links containing scand. char., but Internet Explorer, however,
    > does mind, doesn't follow the links. I tried &code; but that didn't help
    > me out. Is there a workaround? (Other than renaming the files...)

    Non-ASCII characters aren't valid in URLs (though there are attempts
    underway to define new standards for internationalized identifiers
    that do allow such characters). It's best, as somebody else said, to
    use filenames that don't contain such problematic characters, but if
    you can't avoid it, they must be encoded in percent-sign syntax (%XX,
    where a two-digit hexadecimal code is used). There's unfortunately
    some ambiguity about just what character encoding such encoded
    characters are actually in, however.

    --
    Dan
    Daniel R. Tobias, Jul 12, 2004