IE and PNG

Derek Clarkson

Hi all,
As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test my web pages
in IE. When I finally did I found that all my transparent PNG images had
black background rather than showing what is behind them.

How can I fix this ?

And please don't say convert to GIF, I'm not going to destroy the look of my
site because M$ can't keep up with the rest of the world ;-)

floortje

Derek Clarkson said:
Hi all,
As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test my web pages
in IE. When I finally did I found that all my transparent PNG images had
black background rather than showing what is behind them.

How can I fix this ?

U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

Floortje

Derek Clarkson

floortje said:
U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

Spartanicus

Derek said:
As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test my web pages
in IE. When I finally did I found that all my transparent PNG images had
black background rather than showing what is behind them.

How can I fix this ?

Use 256 colour palette png's. Apart from this issue you should avoid
alpha transparency unless you really need it because of their size.

Bob Long

In
Derek Clarkson said:
Hi all,
As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test
my web pages in IE. When I finally did I found that all my
transparent PNG images had
black background rather than showing what is behind them.

How can I fix this ?

And please don't say convert to GIF, I'm not going to destroy the
look of my site because M$ can't keep up with the rest of the world
;-)

These may help:
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngapbr.html#msie-win-unix
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pngopacity/

Bob Long

Andrew Cameron

Derek said:
Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

You might hate IE with all your heart, but that's 90% of your viewers you're
excluding. Unless the site offers free gold to its visitors, nobody loses
out but you.

Whitecrest

Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

Both you ant the visitors will have to make a choice. Sadly, your
choice will negatively effect 90% of the visitors to your site that use
IE rather than the 2% that use Opera.

Not a business decision I would choose, but you are free to cater to the
people you like.

Michael Fesser

Andrew said:
You might hate IE with all your heart, but that's 90% of your viewers you're
excluding. Unless the site offers free gold to its visitors, nobody loses
out but you.

I use PNG for some little transparency effects. IE doesn't get it, but
as long as the site is usable in IE I don't really care.

Micha

Kris

Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

Both you ant the visitors will have to make a choice. Sadly, your
choice will negatively effect 90% of the visitors to your site that use
IE rather than the 2% that use Opera.

Not a business decision I would choose, but you are free to cater to the
people you like.[/QUOTE]

pomtidomtidom...

<http://www.mongus.net/pngInfo/>

Oops, did I just drop that URL?

C A Upsdell

floortje said:
U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

WRONG!!! IE supports one transparent colour, and has since IE4. It is NN4
that supports no transparency.

Woolly Mittens

C A Upsdell said:
WRONG!!! IE supports one transparent colour, and has since IE4. It is NN4
that supports no transparency.

He means semitransparency, but I think you allready knew that.

Whitecrest

I use PNG for some little transparency effects. IE doesn't get it, but
as long as the site is usable in IE I don't really care.

Interesting, your hatered for Microsoft is so great, that you are wiling
to make your web site look like shit to 90% of your visitors.

While I don't agree with it, I will defend your right to do it.

Toby A Inkster

[attributions fixed]
Whitecrest said:
Interesting, your hatered for Microsoft is so great, that you are wiling
to make your web site look like shit to 90% of your visitors.

Whitecrest, have you actually *seen* Michael's website? If not, how would
you know it "look like shit" in Internet Explorer. For all you know,
the difference might be very small.

Whitecrest

Interesting, your hatered for Microsoft is so great, that you are wiling
to make your web site look like shit to 90% of your visitors.
Whitecrest, have you actually *seen* Michael's website? If not, how would
you know it "look like shit" in Internet Explorer. For all you know,
the difference might be very small.

"shit" is in the eyes of the beholder

Toby A Inkster

Whitecrest said:
Whitecrest, have you actually *seen* Michael's website? If not, how would
you know it "look like shit" in Internet Explorer. For all you know,
the difference might be very small.

"shit" is in the eyes of the beholder

But you have not beheld it, right?

Whitecrest

Whitecrest said:
Whitecrest, have you actually *seen* Michael's website? If not, how would
you know it "look like shit" in Internet Explorer. For all you know,
the difference might be very small.

"shit" is in the eyes of the beholder

But you have not beheld it, right?

I am the beholder by proxie. He said he did something I would consider
shit.

Michael Fesser

Whitecrest said:
(e-mail address removed) says...

Interesting, your hatered for Microsoft is so great, that you are wiling
to make your web site look like shit to 90% of your visitors.

no transparency != look like shit

I don't see any reason to not use recent browser's capabilities, if it's
only for decoration effects. The content is accessible, this is all that
matters.

And if it looks to strange in IE there's always the way to fix it with
conditional comments (to provide another image without transparency,
exclusively for IE).

Micha

Whitecrest

no transparency != look like shit

Depends on the application.
And if it looks to strange in IE there's always the way to fix it with
conditional comments (to provide another image without transparency,
exclusively for IE).

Ahhh, the secret info that was not originally shared.