    --
    cio
    Derek
    Derek Clarkson, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Derek Clarkson

    floortje Guest

    "Derek Clarkson" <> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    > As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test my

    web pages
    > in IE. When I finally did I found that all my transparent PNG images had
    > black background rather than showing what is behind them.
    >
    > How can I fix this ?

    U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

    Floortje
    floortje, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Derek Clarkson

    floortje Guest

    > "Derek Clarkson" <> schreef in bericht

    > And please don't say convert to GIF, I'm not going to destroy the look of

    my
    > site because M$ can't keep up with the rest of the world ;-)

    Ok u make ur site for the 15 people that actually use Opera. Dont give in to
    Bill. !!!

    ;-)

    Floortje
    floortje, Jan 8, 2004
  4. floortje wrote:

    > U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

    Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

    --
    cio
    Derek
    Derek Clarkson, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Derek Clarkson

    Spartanicus Guest

    Derek Clarkson wrote:

    >As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test my web pages
    >in IE. When I finally did I found that all my transparent PNG images had
    >black background rather than showing what is behind them.
    >
    >How can I fix this ?

    Use 256 colour palette png's. Apart from this issue you should avoid
    alpha transparency unless you really need it because of their size.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Derek Clarkson

    Bob Long Guest

    In news:,
    Derek Clarkson <> typed:
    > Hi all,
    > As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test
    > my web pages in IE. When I finally did I found that all my
    > transparent PNG images had
    > black background rather than showing what is behind them.
    >
    > How can I fix this ?
    >
    > And please don't say convert to GIF, I'm not going to destroy the
    > look of my site because M$ can't keep up with the rest of the world
    > ;-)

    These may help:
    http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngapbr.html#msie-win-unix
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pngopacity/

    Bob Long
    Bob Long, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Derek Clarkson wrote:
    > floortje wrote:
    >
    >> U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no
    >> transparanty.

    > Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

    You might hate IE with all your heart, but that's 90% of your viewers you're
    excluding. Unless the site offers free gold to its visitors, nobody loses
    out but you.

    --
    Andrew Cameron
    "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."
    Andrew Cameron, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Derek Clarkson

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

    > Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

    Both you ant the visitors will have to make a choice. Sadly, your
    choice will negatively effect 90% of the visitors to your site that use
    IE rather than the 2% that use Opera.

    Not a business decision I would choose, but you are free to cater to the
    people you like.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 9, 2004
  9. Andrew Cameron wrote:

    >You might hate IE with all your heart, but that's 90% of your viewers you're
    >excluding. Unless the site offers free gold to its visitors, nobody loses
    >out but you.

    I use PNG for some little transparency effects. IE doesn't get it, but
    as long as the site is usable in IE I don't really care.

    Micha
    Michael Fesser, Jan 9, 2004
  10. Derek Clarkson

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Whitecrest <> wrote:

    > > > U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

    > > Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

    > Both you ant the visitors will have to make a choice. Sadly, your
    > choice will negatively effect 90% of the visitors to your site that use
    > IE rather than the 2% that use Opera.
    >
    > Not a business decision I would choose, but you are free to cater to the
    > people you like.

    pomtidomtidom...

    <http://www.mongus.net/pngInfo/>

    Oops, did I just drop that URL?

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Jan 9, 2004
  11. Derek Clarkson

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "floortje" <> wrote
    in message news:3ffde385$0$317$4all.nl...

    > "Derek Clarkson" <> schreef in bericht
    > > Hi all,
    > > As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test my

    > web pages
    > > in IE. When I finally did I found that all my transparent PNG images had
    > > black background rather than showing what is behind them.
    > >
    > > How can I fix this ?

    > U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

    WRONG!!! IE supports one transparent colour, and has since IE4. It is NN4
    that supports no transparency.
    C A Upsdell, Jan 9, 2004
  12. "Kris" <> wrote in message news:kristiaan-
    > Oops, did I just drop that URL?

    Pretty sweet.
    Woolly Mittens, Jan 9, 2004
  13. "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@> wrote in message
    > WRONG!!! IE supports one transparent colour, and has since IE4. It is

    NN4
    > that supports no transparency.

    He means semitransparency, but I think you allready knew that.
    Woolly Mittens, Jan 9, 2004
  14. Derek Clarkson

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >You might hate IE with all your heart, but that's 90% of your viewers you're
    > >excluding. Unless the site offers free gold to its visitors, nobody loses
    > >out but you.

    > I use PNG for some little transparency effects. IE doesn't get it, but
    > as long as the site is usable in IE I don't really care.

    Interesting, your hatered for Microsoft is so great, that you are wiling
    to make your web site look like shit to 90% of your visitors.

    While I don't agree with it, I will defend your right to do it.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 10, 2004
  15. [attributions fixed]
    Whitecrest wrote:
    > Michael Fesser wrote:
    >> Andrew Cameron wrote:
    >>> You might hate IE with all your heart, but that's 90% of your viewers
    >>> you're excluding. Unless the site offers free gold to its visitors,
    >>> nobody loses out but you.

    >> I use PNG for some little transparency effects. IE doesn't get it, but
    >> as long as the site is usable in IE I don't really care.

    > Interesting, your hatered for Microsoft is so great, that you are wiling
    > to make your web site look like shit to 90% of your visitors.

    Whitecrest, have you actually *seen* Michael's website? If not, how would
    you know it "look like shit" in Internet Explorer. For all you know,
    the difference might be very small.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 10, 2004
  16. Derek Clarkson

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >> I use PNG for some little transparency effects. IE doesn't get it, but
    > >> as long as the site is usable in IE I don't really care.

    > > Interesting, your hatered for Microsoft is so great, that you are wiling
    > > to make your web site look like shit to 90% of your visitors.

    > Whitecrest, have you actually *seen* Michael's website? If not, how would
    > you know it "look like shit" in Internet Explorer. For all you know,
    > the difference might be very small.

    "shit" is in the eyes of the beholder

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 10, 2004
  17. Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >> Whitecrest, have you actually *seen* Michael's website? If not, how would
    >> you know it "look like shit" in Internet Explorer. For all you know,
    >> the difference might be very small.

    > "shit" is in the eyes of the beholder

    But you have not beheld it, right?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 10, 2004
  18. Derek Clarkson

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Whitecrest wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >> Whitecrest, have you actually *seen* Michael's website? If not, how would
    > >> you know it "look like shit" in Internet Explorer. For all you know,
    > >> the difference might be very small.

    > > "shit" is in the eyes of the beholder

    > But you have not beheld it, right?

    I am the beholder by proxie. He said he did something I would consider
    shit.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 10, 2004
  19. Whitecrest wrote:

    > says...
    >> I use PNG for some little transparency effects. IE doesn't get it, but
    >> as long as the site is usable in IE I don't really care.

    >Interesting, your hatered for Microsoft is so great, that you are wiling
    >to make your web site look like shit to 90% of your visitors.

    no transparency != look like shit

    I don't see any reason to not use recent browser's capabilities, if it's
    only for decoration effects. The content is accessible, this is all that
    matters.

    And if it looks to strange in IE there's always the way to fix it with
    conditional comments (to provide another image without transparency,
    exclusively for IE).

    Micha
    Michael Fesser, Jan 11, 2004
  20. Derek Clarkson

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > no transparency != look like shit

    Depends on the application.

    > And if it looks to strange in IE there's always the way to fix it with
    > conditional comments (to provide another image without transparency,
    > exclusively for IE).

    Ahhh, the secret info that was not originally shared.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 11, 2004