IE clears whole web page when paging, Firefox does not

Urs Eichmann

Hello
I have an ASP.NET web site where you can page through lists by using
INPUT TYPE=image buttons. I noticed that, in IE6, the whole page gets
cleared and built again from the ground up, whereas in Firefox, the page
stays on screen until the server's answer is here. The page is built
mainly with CSS layouts and DIV's/SPAN's, altough, for the list view of
the actual result, a TABLE is used.

The clearing of the page every time the user paginates the view is very
tiresome for the eyes. I noticed that, when you paginate e.g. in google,
the screen doesn't get cleared.

Does anyone know of a certain tag or layout that causes this behaviour?

Thanks for any help
Urs

Bruce Barker

most browsers try to avoid redrawing, by comparing the current dom, to
thenext requested pages parsed dom. how successfully they are is browser
dependant, an content dependant. your layout may be too complex for IE, and
it decides to rebuild rather than update.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Urs Eichmann

Bruce,
thanks for the answer. There are lots of pages in the WWW which deal
with IE / firefox CSS quirks etc. But I couldn't see any which would
help me in this matter. Do you know any?
Urs

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Urs,

I also agree with Bruce that this is a browser behavior and somewhat
related to the page's html dom structure. In fact, we can also test this
through a static html page which the similiar content to see whether it'll
have the same behavior.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support