IE doesn't show picture in the middle

Christoph Michael Becker

dorayme said:
Agreed.

There seems little awareness in the thread about separating HTML from
styling.

Unless someone has said this before, there is not a lot wrong with
separating the HTML from the styling and using CSS to .... well...
style the html. This business of "in case CSS is off in a browser some
HTML attribute styling is advisable..." is not all that convincing.
Looks *mostly* a recipe for muddleheadedness. If you HTML well, your
page should be useful with default browser styling, where author CSS
is disabled or absent.

Maybe the old pages of the OP were before this idea of separation
became better grounded. But I get the feeling reading the thread that
it is as if this idea of separating the HTML from the styling is not
considered important.

Indeed nobody pointed that out before. Thanks. :)

However, I assume that at least some of the participiants consider this
seperation generally important, but concentrated on the issue at hand
(i.e. why the centering didn't work in IE9) resp. some of the follow up
issues.

dorayme

Ben Bacarisse said:
dorayme said:
Hot-Text said:
"Christoph Michael Becker" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Hot-Text wrote: ....
The problem was due to a missing align : middle is the style
I'm not aware that there is some CSS property called "align" at all.
The problem was due
to a missing
align : middle in
the style : class [text=HTML]

Search for "align" at

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html>

You will see text-align and vertical-align, but no align; but the
latter is used in HTML style attributes.

This confused me. I think it's clearer to say that HTML has an "align"
attribute that is used for styling. The former two (text-align and
vertical-align) can be used in what I'd call HTML style attributes!

OK.

There is CSS styling, this can be used to style web pages. You can
apply such styling in three different ways, in combination, if you
wish.

Here are some of what are called CSS style *properties*:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html>

1. You can put all or some of your styles in a separate text document,
naming it, and use a link in the head of the HTML document that allows
the browser to find it and apply the styles. Such a link can go along
the lines of

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="name.css">

2. You can put all or some of your styles in the head of your HTML
document in a block like

3. You can use CSS styling inline in the HTML in the body. To do this,
you use the HTML "style" attribute". For example:

More details:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/styles.html#adef-style>

There is (and at once stage, there was only) HTML attribute styling,
quite separate from CSS. You could (and sometimes still can) use these
inside elements. For example, <table align="right">.

Here are some HTML style attributes:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/attributes.html>

With HTML attributes, you don't need the special style attribute (that
is for using CSS styling), you just stick in the attribute name (like
align) an equal sign and the value (like center).

I have to rest my finger now, I was bitten by something in the sea
edge when I dug my hand into the sand after being thrown off balance
by a wave. Whatever it injected me with would surely have killed a
fish.