IE DOM Inspector (again) -- Access Denied

Brian

Hi all,

So, I posted a question about a DOM inspector for IE (mozilla comes with
one, which is pretty nice).

Since I got no reply, I wrote my own, which works pretty well. It is laid
out like the mozilla one, but isnt quite as nice, because I did not want to
spend too much time with it.

Anyways, I implemented it with frames, where one frame contains the source
document, and another frame inspects the DOM recursively, and prints it to
the inspector frame.

Unfortunately, (and pretty much expected), I dont have access to the DOM of
a location that is not on my server. I get an "Access Denied" error. I
understand why this is there, but is there any type of read-only access to
the DOM of a page in a frame that you do not own?

Any ideas on how to work around this problem?

Thanks,
Brian

Martin Honnen

Brian said:
So, I posted a question about a DOM inspector for IE (mozilla comes with
one, which is pretty nice).

Since I got no reply, I wrote my own, which works pretty well. It is laid
out like the mozilla one, but isnt quite as nice, because I did not want to
spend too much time with it.

Anyways, I implemented it with frames, where one frame contains the source
document, and another frame inspects the DOM recursively, and prints it to
the inspector frame.

Unfortunately, (and pretty much expected), I dont have access to the DOM of
a location that is not on my server. I get an "Access Denied" error. I
understand why this is there, but is there any type of read-only access to
the DOM of a page in a frame that you do not own?

Any ideas on how to work around this problem?

Sort of, MS Windows knows so called HTML applications, there you should
be able to script an iframe content from another server. Start with
saving your .html page as .hta and then check msdn.microsoft.com for
details about HTAs.

Brian

Martin Honnen said:
Sort of, MS Windows knows so called HTML applications, there you should
be able to script an iframe content from another server. Start with
saving your .html page as .hta and then check msdn.microsoft.com for
details about HTAs.

You rule! All I had to do, was change it from HTML to HTA, and make the
frames as IFRAMES, and it worked beautifully! My DOM inspector for IE works
pretty well.

Thanks,
Brian