    * Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
    * I am not SPEWS.ORG *
    ***************************************

    DLU, Nov 24, 2008

  2. DLU

    Irina Rempt Guest

    On Monday 24 November 2008 08:41, DLU wrote:

    > My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.

    This is absolutely normal.

    > I must have changed something, or left something out.

    No, it's not your fault that IE sucks.

    Irina

    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

    Irina Rempt, Nov 24, 2008

  3. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    In article <5da16$492a5aa3$439f9013$>,
    DLU <> wrote:

    > My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.

    IE which version?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 24, 2008
  4. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    In article <492a5bdc$0$192$4all.nl>,
    Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > > I must have changed something, or left something out.

    > No, it's not your fault that IE sucks.

    Whose fault is the odd character in the CSS before the HTML selector:

    i>>?

    ?

    What about the general oddness of the header when the text size is big
    and the window not too wide when the header text "California Nevada
    Regional Conservation Committee" wraps to the far left...?

    What about not knowing which version of IE is the one meant?

    Why am I so grumpy?

    Irina, do you have any real answers to these deep questions?

    <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 24, 2008
  5. DLU

    Bergamot Guest

    DLU wrote:
    > My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
    > http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    What specifically is not "the same"?

    BTW, those side white borders (pretending to be margins) on the gray
    boxes are excessive at larger text sizes. If you want these elements to
    scale better, use margins instead, and use % values instead of em. Those
    of use who use large default text sizes and/or smaller windows will
    appreciate it.

    You should also drop the bogus inline styles. The reason for
    style="height: 20px" on one of the list items is a mystery.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Nov 24, 2008
  6. DLU

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:41:25 -0800, DLU <> wrote:

    >My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
    >the validation does not show any errors, but the heading is much wider
    >in IE, and the center column does not line up with the other columns.
    >
    >How can I fix this. Lars did the majority of fixing the original coding
    >for me and I normally do not use IE so did not realize how screwed up it
    >looks in IE. I must have changed something, or left something out.
    >
    >Web page at:
    >http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    Nice layout.

    The only difference I saw in IE 7 was a much higher header.

    richard, Nov 24, 2008
  7. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <492a5bdc$0$192$4all.nl>,
    > Irina Rempt <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I must have changed something, or left something out.

    >> No, it's not your fault that IE sucks.

    > Whose fault is the odd character in the CSS before the HTML selector:
    >
    > i>>?
    >
    > ?

    http://unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html
    FAQ - UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-32 & BOM

    http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Help:UTF_BOM_Mark
    Help:UTF BOM Mark - MyBB Wiki

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark
    Byte-order mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 24, 2008
  8. DLU <> writes:

    > My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
    > the validation does not show any errors

    The CSS validator shows one:

    <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.surewest.net%2Fbikesac%2Fbikesac%2F>

    Dunno if that's the cause of the problem, but it's worth fixing, and
    easy - it's just a transposed "/*" at the beginning of a comment.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Nov 24, 2008
  9. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Bergamot wrote:

    > DLU wrote:
    >> My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
    >> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    > What specifically is not "the same"?
    >
    > BTW, those side white borders (pretending to be margins) on the gray
    > boxes are excessive at larger text sizes. If you want these elements to
    > scale better, use margins instead, and use % values instead of em. Those
    > of use who use large default text sizes and/or smaller windows will
    > appreciate it.
    >
    > You should also drop the bogus inline styles. The reason for
    > style="height: 20px" on one of the list items is a mystery.

    I am not sure what borders, it looks to me like the gray boxes are
    centered in the middle of a column. I will have to look for the inline
    you are referring to. The styles should refer to a CSS.

    I will see how I can fix the em values. Lars did a great deal of the
    original fix for me and I really owe him for it. I am still learning how
    the damned thing works.

    The boxes were originally in table form.

    The public page is at:
    http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/
    The access information is on the login page, easy to decipher.
    main reason for the login is to keep web crawlers out.
    --
    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *

    DLU, Nov 24, 2008
  10. DLU

    DLU Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <5da16$492a5aa3$439f9013$>,
    > DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.

    > IE which version?

    IE 7.

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Nov 24, 2008
  11. DLU

    DLU Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:41:25 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >

    >> Web page at:
    >> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    > Nice layout.
    >
    > The only difference I saw in IE 7 was a much higher header.

    I have the high header in IE7, and the center column does not line up
    with the others when I look at it.

    I am somewhat mystified the the right hand column is formatted first
    instead of from left to right.

    Firefox looks good.
    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Nov 24, 2008
  12. DLU wrote:
    > My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
    > the validation does not show any errors, but the heading is much wider
    > in IE, and the center column does not line up with the other columns.
    >
    > How can I fix this. Lars did the majority of fixing the original coding
    > for me and I normally do not use IE so did not realize how screwed up it
    > looks in IE. I must have changed something, or left something out.
    >
    > Web page at:
    > http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    take:

    <h1 style="width: 971px;">

    and make it

    <h1>

    Your use of inline styles is biting you in the butt.

    Also you have a bad comment in your stylesheet

    */ Adjust lists in boxes here. Do NOT try to adjust padding of the
    boxes as that will break corners. list-style-position: outside means
    the bullets show up to the left of all text. inside would make text
    wrap under the bullets. */

    should be

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 24, 2008
  13. On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:13:40 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:41:25 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >>My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
    >>the validation does not show any errors, but the heading is much wider
    >>in IE, and the center column does not line up with the other columns.
    >>
    >>How can I fix this. Lars did the majority of fixing the original coding
    >>for me and I normally do not use IE so did not realize how screwed up it
    >>looks in IE. I must have changed something, or left something out.
    >>
    >>Web page at:
    >>http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    >Nice layout.
    >
    >The only difference I saw in IE 7 was a much higher header.

    The most ennoying that i have with my IE.7 is that
    the "CNRCC Committees" is aligned with the "California State & Federal
    Parks" making the page "not niced layout"
    instead of aligned with the "California"(using SeaMonkey)

    Raymond SCHMIT, Nov 24, 2008
  14. DLU

    Bergamot Guest

    DLU wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote:
    >> DLU wrote:
    >>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    >> BTW, those side white borders (pretending to be margins) on the gray
    >> boxes are excessive at larger text sizes.
    >>
    >> You should also drop the bogus inline styles. The reason for
    >> style="height: 20px" on one of the list items is a mystery.
    >>

    > I am not sure what borders, it looks to me like the gray boxes are
    > centered in the middle of a column.

    That's what it may look like to you. Try zooming text up a couple
    notches and you'll see things don't necessarily align like you thought.
    The green headings are *not* centered over the boxes.
    http://www.bergamotus.ws/screenshots/bikesac.png

    One of those "centering" selectors in your CSS:
    ..rinbox {
    background-color: #CCC;
    text-align: left;
    border-width: 5px 4em 0 2em; /* Adjust box size by changing border size
    The border size are clockwise from top. */
    border-style: solid;
    border-color: white;
    padding-bottom: 9px; /* This makes rounded corners work, see above */
    font-weight: bold;
    }

    There are other selectors that use 2em/4em margins instead of borders,
    but neither should be set in em units - % units would make much better
    use of the available canvas space. It would spread things out more in
    larger windows and shrink them up when space is not so abundant.

    > I will have to look for the inline
    > you are referring to. The styles should refer to a CSS.

    The screenshot above shows the effect of one of those inline styles. It
    obviously shouldn't be there, but you may not have noticed it before now.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Nov 24, 2008
  15. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Raymond SCHMIT wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:13:40 -0500, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:41:25 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >>

    > The most ennoying that i have with my IE.7 is that
    > the "CNRCC Committees" is aligned with the "California State & Federal
    > Parks" making the page "not niced layout"
    > instead of aligned with the "California"(using SeaMonkey)

    Yes, I am trying to figure out how to fix that. I can not get the
    column to start at the top of the page.

    Interesting thing is right hand column is marked up first, then left,
    then center. It seems a little out of line to me.

    I have three index files to play with.

    I am still learning the process. I still have not rally figured how the
    columns get in place in the first place.
    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Nov 24, 2008
  16. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Bergamot wrote:

    > DLU wrote:
    >> Bergamot wrote:
    >>>
    >>> BTW, those side white borders (pretending to be margins) on the gray
    >>> boxes are excessive at larger text sizes.
    >>>
    >>> You should also drop the bogus inline styles. The reason for
    >>> style="height: 20px" on one of the list items is a mystery.
    >>>

    >> I am not sure what borders, it looks to me like the gray boxes are
    >> centered in the middle of a column.

    > That's what it may look like to you. Try zooming text up a couple
    > notches and you'll see things don't necessarily align like you thought.
    > The green headings are *not* centered over the boxes.
    > http://www.bergamotus.ws/screenshots/bikesac.png
    >
    > One of those "centering" selectors in your CSS:
    > .rinbox {
    > background-color: #CCC;
    > text-align: left;
    > border-width: 5px 4em 0 2em; /* Adjust box size by changing border size
    > The border size are clockwise from top. */
    > border-style: solid;
    > border-color: white;
    > padding-bottom: 9px; /* This makes rounded corners work, see above */
    > font-weight: bold;
    > }
    >
    > There are other selectors that use 2em/4em margins instead of borders,
    > but neither should be set in em units - % units would make much better
    > use of the available canvas space. It would spread things out more in
    > larger windows and shrink them up when space is not so abundant.
    >
    >> I will have to look for the inline you are referring to. The styles
    >> should refer to a CSS.

    > The screenshot above shows the effect of one of those inline styles. It
    > obviously shouldn't be there, but you may not have noticed it before now.

    What % should I use, or do I need to experiment?

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Nov 25, 2008
  17. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > DLU wrote:
    >> My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
    >> the validation does not show any errors, but the heading is much wider
    >> in IE, and the center column does not line up with the other columns.
    >>
    >> How can I fix this. Lars did the majority of fixing the original
    >> coding for me and I normally do not use IE so did not realize how
    >> screwed up it looks in IE. I must have changed something, or left
    >> something out.
    >>
    >> Web page at:
    >> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/
    >>

    > take:
    >
    > <h1 style="width: 971px;">
    >
    > and make it
    >
    > <h1>
    >
    > Your use of inline styles is biting you in the butt.
    >
    > Also you have a bad comment in your stylesheet
    >
    > */ Adjust lists in boxes here. Do NOT try to adjust padding of the
    > boxes as that will break corners. list-style-position: outside means
    > the bullets show up to the left of all text. inside would make text
    > wrap under the bullets. */
    >
    > should be
    >
    > /* Adjust lists in boxes here. Do NOT try to adjust padding of the
    > boxes as that will break corners. list-style-position: outside means
    > the bullets show up to the left of all text. inside would make text
    > wrap under the bullets. */

    The */ was causing some of the problems.
    It keeps the comment from being a comment.

    I tried playing with the <h1> and I do not seem to be able to get it to
    work properly.

    <h1> style="width:"</h1>
    Does not seem to work.

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Nov 25, 2008
  18. DLU

    Bergamot Guest

    DLU wrote:

    > What % should I use, or do I need to experiment?

    Experiment with different window sizes.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Nov 25, 2008
  19. DLU

    Bergamot Guest

    DLU wrote:

    > <h1> style="width:"</h1>
    > Does not seem to work.

    Get rid of the width altogether. You don't need it.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Nov 25, 2008
  20. Bergamot wrote:

    > DLU wrote:
    >>
    >> <h1> style="width:"</h1>
    >> Does not seem to work.

    > Get rid of the width altogether. You don't need it.

    Exactly!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan