IE + Java Applets classload bypass a proxy

Discussion in 'Java' started by ed.stark@gmail.com, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. Guest

    After much investigation, the solution to this issue has been found.

    We were trying to launch some web content that used Java Applets to
    display navigation items. The content was being hosted on an internal
    server, and a rule in IE had been setup to bypass the proxy for the
    URL where the courses existed i.e. (exclusion URL) http://localserver.net/

    When launching the content in IE, we came up against classloading
    errors in the Java console in this environment, the courses could be
    launched perfectly over the web. We worked out that the proxy was
    still being callled, as in the Java console we could still see the
    "using proxy" output. In the control panel, Java properties, we
    changed the setting to stop the JVM from using the browser settings
    and make direct connections, which resolved the issue. However, this
    was not a solution, as we didn't want Java to be making direct
    connections, we needed the JVM to use the proxy / browser settings
    where we wanted it to.

    It was clear that the JVM was ignoring the proxy exclusion list, as
    any URL listed in their could not be loaded with Java content. Heres
    the trick, when attempting to bypass proxy server for URLs that
    contain Java content, simply add the exclusion as *.localserver.net
    and leave the protocol out. This worked a treat but was not easy to
    work out and not documented anywhere.

    I hope this post is useful to someone......

    Ed Stark
    , Apr 15, 2008