IE makes Form in table cell double height

Matthew Nicoll

In IE 6, putting a form definition in a table cell causes
the table row height to double!

e.g. "<FORM>hello</FORM>" results in a table cell
twice the height of "hello", with the text right up at
the top of the cell. Ugly.

(I'm actually coding a button, not "hello", but I tested it
with "hello" to show that it was not the button causing
the problem.)

Opera does not have this problem.

Specifying HEIGHT in the TR does not help.
specifying VALIGN in the TD does not help.

Any ideas?

Mark Parnell

In IE 6, putting a form definition in a table cell causes
the table row height to double!

Well, not double as such, but yes it increases it. Forms have default
padding and/or margins.
Any ideas?

Don't try and put a form in a table cell?
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

If, by some stretch of the imagination, it _is_ actually tabular data,
set the margin and padding of the form to 0 in your CSS file.

form { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

Neal

In IE 6, putting a form definition in a table cell causes
the table row height to double!

e.g. "<FORM>hello</FORM>" results in a table cell
twice the height of "hello", with the text right up at
the top of the cell. Ugly.

(I'm actually coding a button, not "hello", but I tested it
with "hello" to show that it was not the button causing
the problem.)

Opera does not have this problem.

Specifying HEIGHT in the TR does not help.
specifying VALIGN in the TD does not help.

Any ideas?

form {margin: 0;}