IE modifying filename specified in content type response

Guest

I've got an page used for downloads that acts similarily to the MSFT
downloads.... page displays and refreshes itself which causes a XML file to
be streamed to the client.

The streaming of the file is working fine, however, IE is mucking the the
filename I specify. For example, I'm specifying the filename
"Product.License.lic", but IE displays "Product[1].License.lic". See code
below... ideas?

Response.ContentType = "text/xml";
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition",
"attachment;filename=Product.License.lic");
Response.BinaryWrite(buffer);
Response.End();

MSDN

Product.License.lic already exists ???
Is that why it is adding Product[1].License.lic
does it add Product[2].License.lic?

SA

Guest

It will exist on the user's PC... but the prompt is within the
OPEN/SAVE/CANCEL dialog... before you even pick a target for the install.

--
-AC [MVP MCMS]
http://www.andrewconnell.com

AC said:
I've got an page used for downloads that acts similarily to the MSFT
downloads.... page displays and refreshes itself which causes a XML file
be streamed to the client.

The streaming of the file is working fine, however, IE is mucking the the
filename I specify. For example, I'm specifying the filename
"Product.License.lic", but IE displays "Product[1].License.lic". See code
below... ideas?

Response.ContentType = "text/xml";
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition",
"attachment;filename=Product.License.lic");
Response.BinaryWrite(buffer);
Response.End();

MSDN

good enough and if it does not exist then you still get
Product[1].License.lic even for the first time.

Does the name Product a reserved word.

What happens if you just, for testing only, use Product.lic or
Product.License what happens?

SA

AC said:
I've got an page used for downloads that acts similarily to the MSFT
downloads.... page displays and refreshes itself which causes a XML
file
be streamed to the client.

The streaming of the file is working fine, however, IE is mucking the
the
filename I specify. For example, I'm specifying the filename
"Product.License.lic", but IE displays "Product[1].License.lic". See
code
below... ideas?

Response.ContentType = "text/xml";
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition",
"attachment;filename=Product.License.lic");
Response.BinaryWrite(buffer);
Response.End();

Guest

Same result.

--

MSDN said:
[...]

I tried your code:

When I use just Product.lic I get "Product.lic" < Correct
When I use just Product.License I get "Product.License" < Correct
When I use Product.License.lic I get Product[1].License.lic

So not the same thing happens.

SA

AC said:
I've got an page used for downloads that acts similarily to the MSFT
downloads.... page displays and refreshes itself which causes a XML file
be streamed to the client.

The streaming of the file is working fine, however, IE is mucking the the
filename I specify. For example, I'm specifying the filename
"Product.License.lic", but IE displays "Product[1].License.lic". See code
below... ideas?

Response.ContentType = "text/xml";
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition",
"attachment;filename=Product.License.lic");
Response.BinaryWrite(buffer);
Response.End();

Guest

Yes, different result. The more research I do, the more it sounds like this
is something handled by the browser... and not something we have control
over. Oh well.

--

AC said:
I've got an page used for downloads that acts similarily to the MSFT
downloads.... page displays and refreshes itself which causes a XML file
be streamed to the client.

The streaming of the file is working fine, however, IE is mucking the the
filename I specify. For example, I'm specifying the filename
"Product.License.lic", but IE displays "Product[1].License.lic". See code
below... ideas?

Response.ContentType = "text/xml";
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition",
"attachment;filename=Product.License.lic");
Response.BinaryWrite(buffer);
Response.End();

MSDN

Oh well, may be send a zipped file that expands to Product.License.lic