IE needs to close

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by mike, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I have a parent page with a number of child rows on it.

    When I press an onclick event on the parent page a child window opens
    and deletes the child data from the db table, then the child window
    passes back that row to the parent window.

    The child window open up using:
    mydeltaskwin =
    window.open(mycgi,'task_delete','width=800,height=400,top=50,left=50,scrollbars=no');

    In the parent window I use some js code embedded in the parent page
    like:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="mycode.js"></script>

    The code that executes in that js file looks like:
    function delTaskRow(x,y)
    {
    var row_delete = document.getElementById("Task_Row_"+y);
    if ( this_num == lx && row_delete )
    {
    row_delete.parentNode.removeChild(row_delete);

    If I have a number of rows that need to be deleted then pressing them
    in succession ultimately causes an error in IE and I get the message:

    IE experienced a problem and needs to close! debug, close.

    Is this happening because I am using some code that is inconsistent?

    I am wondering if it is because IE open the windows and then they
    close, but the reminants of them are somewhere still in memory and then
    it gets confused.

    Anyone experience this kind of thing?

    Mike

    mike, Oct 14, 2005

  2. mike

    RobG Guest

    mike wrote:
    > I have a parent page with a number of child rows on it.
    >
    > When I press an onclick event on the parent page a child window opens
    > and deletes the child data from the db table, then the child window
    > passes back that row to the parent window.
    >
    > The child window open up using:
    > mydeltaskwin =
    > window.open(mycgi,'task_delete','width=800,height=400,top=50,left=50,scrollbars=no');
    >
    > In the parent window I use some js code embedded in the parent page
    > like:
    > <script type="text/javascript" src="mycode.js"></script>
    >
    > The code that executes in that js file looks like:
    > function delTaskRow(x,y)
    > {
    > var row_delete = document.getElementById("Task_Row_"+y);
    > if ( this_num == lx && row_delete )
    > {
    > row_delete.parentNode.removeChild(row_delete);
    >
    > If I have a number of rows that need to be deleted then pressing them
    > in succession ultimately causes an error in IE and I get the message:
    >
    > IE experienced a problem and needs to close! debug, close.
    >
    > Is this happening because I am using some code that is inconsistent?
    >
    > I am wondering if it is because IE open the windows and then they
    > close, but the reminants of them are somewhere still in memory and then
    > it gets confused.

    Closures may cause memory leak problems with IE, but nothing you have
    here uses them. However, given what you are doing, it is quite possibly
    happening - Google 'Javascript IE memory leak'.

    Build a minimal test case that demonstrates the error and post it or
    provide a link to your page (the DB interaction can be omitted). Often
    while building the test case you will find your problem and be able to
    express it more explicitly, if not fix it.

    [...]

    --
    Rob

    RobG, Oct 14, 2005