    Chris Watson a.k.a. "The Bicycling Guitarist"
    http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/
    (did I use a "sig separator" correctly?)
    The Bicycling Guitarist, Dec 14, 2004

  2. The Bicycling Guitarist

    C.W. Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:11:39 GMT, "The Bicycling Guitarist"
    <> wrote:

    >Is anyone as shocked as I am by this?

    Considering all the other flaws in IE - not really.

    Carol
    C.W., Dec 14, 2004

  3. The Bicycling Guitarist

    Richard Guest

    The Bicycling Guitarist wrote:

    > Is anyone as shocked as I am by this? I applied the strictest level of
    > labelling to my entire web site, even though only a few of my one hundred
    > fifty pages are inappropriate for younger children. I just found out that
    > the "Content Advisor" for Internet Explorer allows browsers to visit
    > those bad pages, even though I clearly labelled their contents according
    > to ICRA rules. I checked with ICRA tech ops, and I am assured that I did
    > everything correctly but Microsoft's Content Advisor is not behaving as
    > it should. GASP!

    And how exactly is a web browser to know what the content is of an image?
    If the applied algorithyms say the site is acceptable, then all the pages
    are passed through. Not just those pages you feel it shouldn't.

    You might try adding some key words so that the advisor will pick up on them
    and reject those pages.
    Richard, Dec 14, 2004
  4. "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > The Bicycling Guitarist wrote:
    >
    > And how exactly is a web browser to know what the content is of an image?
    > If the applied algorithyms say the site is acceptable, then all the pages
    > are passed through. Not just those pages you feel it shouldn't.

    I applied the ICRA rules at the "strict" level, so gen true for my web site
    in general including graphics directories (I don't have naughty pictures on
    my site) but gen false for particular pages with specific code for what
    specifically may be considered inappropriate by some. The gen true for my
    web site and gen false for the particular page are both on that page
    according to ICRA rules, but apparently that is what is throwing Content
    Advisor. ICRA tells me that Content Advisor has changed how it works a
    couple times since being released, and that it is not behaving as it should.
    The Bicycling Guitarist, Dec 14, 2004
  5. The Bicycling Guitarist

    SpaceGirl Guest

    The Bicycling Guitarist wrote:

    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    >
    >> The Bicycling Guitarist wrote:
    >>
    >> And how exactly is a web browser to know what the content is of an image?
    >> If the applied algorithyms say the site is acceptable, then all the pages
    >> are passed through. Not just those pages you feel it shouldn't.
    >>

    > I applied the ICRA rules at the "strict" level, so gen true for my web
    > site in general including graphics directories (I don't have naughty
    > pictures on my site) but gen false for particular pages with specific
    > code for what specifically may be considered inappropriate by some. The
    > gen true for my web site and gen false for the particular page are both
    > on that page according to ICRA rules, but apparently that is what is
    > throwing Content Advisor. ICRA tells me that Content Advisor has changed
    > how it works a couple times since being released, and that it is not
    > behaving as it should.

    You have to bear in mind that Internet Explorer doesn't render ANY of
    the standards the way it should. It doesn't do HTML right. It doesn't do
    CSS right. It has its own version of JavaScript. Need I go on? Dont be
    shocked when IE doesn't work properly... test in FireFox if you want
    perfection, and then scale down your site so that it works in IE too. IE
    6 is a very old, very very outdated browser.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 14, 2004
  6. "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> wrote in message
    > rules. I checked with ICRA tech ops, and I am assured that I did
    > everything correctly but Microsoft's Content Advisor is not behaving as it
    > should.

    ICRA tech ops tried a workaround for IE's Content Advisor. It didn't work,
    and now they will have to work to redo their labelling system. Not fair! Why
    doesn't Microsoft create a "patch" for IE? It's not like Microsoft hasn't
    done this before.
    The Bicycling Guitarist, Dec 14, 2004
  7. "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    > The Bicycling Guitarist wrote:
    > shocked when IE doesn't work properly... test in FireFox if you want
    > perfection, and then scale down your site so that it works in IE too. IE

    Yes, I found that out recently when looking at a page of mine that had been
    created by my ex- using nested tables back in 1998. The spacing was way off
    when I looked at it in FireFox last week. I converted the layout using CSS
    and divs, in the meantime going from transitional to strict markup. Now it
    looks okay in IE and FireFox. :)

    http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/pandora/pandy3.htm

    If anyone has specific suggestions for further improvement, I am always
    happy to make my site better!
    I was trying to duplicate the original layout as closely as possible.

    Tables? Bah! We don't need no stinkin' Tables!

    The Bicycling Guitarist, Dec 14, 2004
  8. The Bicycling Guitarist

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:26:30 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:

    >And how exactly is a web browser to know what the content is of an image?

    By the PICS rating, you idiot.

    Please. Learn something or shut up.
    Andy Dingley, Dec 15, 2004
  9. The Bicycling Guitarist

    Andy Dingley Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Is anyone as shocked as I am by this?

    PICS never really happened. It's a good idea and it's still a good
    idea to label, but because there is so little adoption of it, the
    usual way of browsing is to silently accept unlabelled sites. As a
    result, there's even less incentive to add labels to new sites.

    It's a few years since I looked seriously at PICS (although little has
    changed since). Back then IE blew up if you used multiple "for"
    statements, as I notice your site does.

    If you support domain names as both http://www.example.org and
    http://example.org then I suggest you use a rewrite rule in .htaccess
    and only include http://example.org in your PICS metadata.