IE not sending cookie info to server

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by junOnline, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. junOnline

    junOnline Guest

    Hi, I am developing an asp.net 2.0 application using visual studio 2005 on my
    computer and I am getting very inconsistent results when I test on my
    computer versus from other computers.

    The symptom of the problem is that the web server does not receive cookie
    information from the browser after I have properly logged in to the web
    server. Without this information, my session state keeps on getting lost and
    the authentication logic sends me back out to the login page.

    Using Fiddler, I have narrowed down the problem to what I think is the
    browser not always sending cookie information (containing the session and
    authentication ticket) to the web server.
    This is what I have tried:
    1. If I run the browser on the same computer as the webserver, I see that
    the cookies are sporadically not being sent from the browser for the .aspx
    pages.
    2. If I run the browser from a 2nd and 3rd computer and hit the web server
    on the first computer, I see that the cookies are always being sent for the
    ..aspx pages.
    3. If on the webserver I force asp.net to assume cookieless clients, my
    browser on the same computer works fine since the "cookie" information is
    part of the URL.

    I haven't tried installing my dev environment on the 2nd or 3rd computers
    and try to see how the browser behaves when hitting the new webserver. I am
    trying to avoid that for now. But from my 1st computer, if I run the browser
    against a totally different web application I have seen the same behavior in
    my Fiddler logs. The browser sporadically does not send cookie information
    to the server.

    I suspect that it may be something specific to the IE browser on my
    computer. Maybe there is some security program or setting that is causing
    this issue on this computer and not others. Does anyone have any thoughts or
    ideas on what this problem could be? I want to find out the problem to make
    sure that when I deploy my web application, this issue does not resurface on
    my user's computers.

    Thanks
    junOnline, Jan 17, 2006

  2. junOnline

    Paxton Guest

    junOnline wrote:
    > Hi, I am developing an asp.net 2.0 application using visual studio 2005 on my
    > computer and I am getting very inconsistent results when I test on my
    > computer versus from other computers.
    >
    > The symptom of the problem is that the web server does not receive cookie
    > information from the browser after I have properly logged in to the web
    > server. Without this information, my session state keeps on getting lost and
    > the authentication logic sends me back out to the login page.
    >
    > Using Fiddler, I have narrowed down the problem to what I think is the
    > browser not always sending cookie information (containing the session and
    > authentication ticket) to the web server.
    > This is what I have tried:
    > 1. If I run the browser on the same computer as the webserver, I see that
    > the cookies are sporadically not being sent from the browser for the .aspx
    > pages.
    > 2. If I run the browser from a 2nd and 3rd computer and hit the web server
    > on the first computer, I see that the cookies are always being sent for the
    > .aspx pages.
    > 3. If on the webserver I force asp.net to assume cookieless clients, my
    > browser on the same computer works fine since the "cookie" information is
    > part of the URL.
    >
    > I haven't tried installing my dev environment on the 2nd or 3rd computers
    > and try to see how the browser behaves when hitting the new webserver. I am
    > trying to avoid that for now. But from my 1st computer, if I run the browser
    > against a totally different web application I have seen the same behavior in
    > my Fiddler logs. The browser sporadically does not send cookie information
    > to the server.
    >
    > I suspect that it may be something specific to the IE browser on my
    > computer. Maybe there is some security program or setting that is causing
    > this issue on this computer and not others. Does anyone have any thoughts or
    > ideas on what this problem could be? I want to find out the problem to make
    > sure that when I deploy my web application, this issue does not resurface on
    > my user's computers.
    >
    > Thanks

    This newsgroup is for classic ASP. For IE specific questions, you
    might like to try microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie 6.browser

    For ASP.NET, I suggest microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

    You can use session variables in ASP.NET in exactly the same way as in
    classic ASP. This is far safer than relying on all your users allowing
    cookie information to be written to their computer.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307598

    /P.
    Paxton, Jan 17, 2006

  3. junOnline

    junOnline Guest

    Sorry about that, I'll try the newsgroups you suggested.

    junOnline, Jan 17, 2006