IE on Mac OS users - your expertise needed

VK

Is there by any chance someone using IE 5.x under Mac OS 8.x - X ?

You would like to know if FileSystemObject ActiveX control is supported
under Mac OS.
MSDN is rather ambiguous on this matter, and I'm totally out of reach
of Macs right now.

A simple harmless (as you can see) test below would give an OK or an
error.

Equally well would be to point me instead to some MSDN page where it
would be said clearly that FileSystemObject is Windows only.

Thank you for your help (or for reading at least).

<head>
<title>MacText</title>
charset=iso-8859-1">
<script type="text/javascript">
function test() {
try {
var fso = new ActiveXObject('Scripting.FileSystemObject');
alert('FileSystemObject created OK');
}
catch(e) {
alert(e.description);
</script>
</head>

Zif

VK said:
Is there by any chance someone using IE 5.x under Mac OS 8.x - X ?

You would like to know if FileSystemObject ActiveX control is supported
under Mac OS.
MSDN is rather ambiguous on this matter, and I'm totally out of reach
of Macs right now.

Not so much ambiguous as totally silent - IE 5 on Mac is dead, as is
Microsoft's support for it.

I can only presume that you want to do this for an intranet, since:

"Because use of the FSO on the client side raises serious security
issues about providing potentially unwelcome access to a client's
local file system, this documentation assumes use of the FSO object
model to create scripts executed by Internet Web pages on the server
side. Since the server side is used, the Internet Explorer default
security settings do not allow client-side use of the
FileSystemObject object. Overriding those defaults could subject a
local computer to unwelcome access to the file system, which could
result in total destruction of the file system's integrity, causing
loss of data, or worse."

<URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ript56/html/sgprogrammingfilesystemobject.asp>

So given that this is for a business, the only possible reason for using
Mac IE 5 is because it is still using Mac OS 8 or 9 (anyone using OS X
should be using Safari or Firefox or some other modern browser).

Ask your client to do the test, and make them aware of the security
issues you are exposing them to.

On a more helpful note, the FSO is implemented in the Scripting type
library (Scrrun.dll), so I doubt very much that IE 5 on Mac will support it.

If there is no reply in a few hours and I can prise a Mac away from a
tester, I'll run your test with IE on Mac OS 9 & X - I'll bet London to
a brick on that FSO isn't supported.

[...]

VK

denisb said:
yes I do (IE 5.1.7 on MacOS 9.2.2).

it gives me an error as you can see (in french) here :
<http://d.boccoz.free.fr/testeur/alerte.jpg >

Zif and denisb:

Thank you for your great help.
I knew the answer in my soul but I wanted an answer based on actual
data - now I have it.

To Zif:
I realize that FSO (as well as its counterpair in Gesko XPConnect) is a
high security regulation domain.
I'm doing my jsFileManager as universal *technical* solution. The
actual task to pass through all security checks is totally up to the
next level developer (will she sign it or drop security down - my
business is not going there).

Zif

VK said:
Zif and denisb:

Thank you for your great help.
I knew the answer in my soul but I wanted an answer based on actual
data - now I have it.

To Zif:
I realize that FSO (as well as its counterpair in Gesko XPConnect) is a
high security regulation domain.
I'm doing my jsFileManager as universal *technical* solution. The
actual task to pass through all security checks is totally up to the
next level developer (will she sign it or drop security down - my
business is not going there).

For the sake of completeness I ran your test case on Mac OS X with IE
5.2 and got "Object doesn't support this action".

It seems to me that there are suitable methods for downloading server
content to client accessible storage without resorting to FSO. It
should be handled on the server and delivered back as a file type that
the browser knows to suggest be saved (I'm guessing this is an
intranet application where system administrators have some control
over browser configuration).

It means a trip to the server and back, but that shouldn't be a big
problem.

But hey, you already know all that ;-p