IE on MAC

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tom, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Is it worthwhile to get browser compatibility on ie for mac

    I am mucking about with a site that looks good (to my mind) on mozilla
    firefox netscape, safari IE 6 etc,. but like a dogs breakfast on IE for mac

    I would love to here views
    Tom, Jan 18, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tom wrote:

    > Is it worthwhile to get browser compatibility on ie for mac
    >
    > I am mucking about with a site that looks good (to my mind) on mozilla
    > firefox netscape, safari IE 6 etc,. but like a dogs breakfast on IE for
    > mac
    >
    > I would love to here views


    I can have a look from IE5 on Mac OS9 if you like. In any case, I will be
    doing this for somebody else this morning ... what's the URI?

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 18, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    news:cshq2a$214r$...
    > Tom wrote:
    >
    >> Is it worthwhile to get browser compatibility on ie for mac
    >>
    >> I am mucking about with a site that looks good (to my mind) on mozilla
    >> firefox netscape, safari IE 6 etc,. but like a dogs breakfast on IE for
    >> mac
    >>
    >> I would love to here views

    >
    > I can have a look from IE5 on Mac OS9 if you like. In any case, I will be
    > doing this for somebody else this morning ... what's the URI?
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > --
    > Roy Schestowitz
    > http://schestowitz.com


    And it will be much appreciated.
    Christopher
    Christopher Richards, Jan 18, 2005
    #3
  4. Christopher Richards wrote:

    >
    > "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    > news:cshq2a$214r$...
    >> Tom wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it worthwhile to get browser compatibility on ie for mac
    >>>
    >>> I am mucking about with a site that looks good (to my mind) on mozilla
    >>> firefox netscape, safari IE 6 etc,. but like a dogs breakfast on IE for
    >>> mac
    >>>
    >>> I would love to here views

    >>
    >> I can have a look from IE5 on Mac OS9 if you like. In any case, I will be
    >> doing this for somebody else this morning ... what's the URI?
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>
    >> --
    >> Roy Schestowitz
    >> http://schestowitz.com

    >
    > And it will be much appreciated.
    > Christopher


    And I now know how to capture screenshots under OS 9...

    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Courses/cs211/2000SP/misc/screenshots.html

    [Snip]

    * Save a picture of the ENTIRE screen to a file
    1. Press Command+Shift+3


    * Save a picture of a rectangular region of the screen to a file
    1. Press Command+Shift+4
    2. Drag mouse across the part of the screen you want to capture.


    * Save a picture of a specific window to a file
    1. Press Command+Shift+4+CapsLock
    2. Click the window you want to capture.

    To copy a section the Clipboard instead of saving it as a file, press the
    Control key as you select what you would like to capture.

    [/Snip]

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 18, 2005
    #4
  5. Christopher Richards wrote:

    >
    > "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    > news:cshq2a$214r$...
    >> Tom wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it worthwhile to get browser compatibility on ie for mac
    >>>
    >>> I am mucking about with a site that looks good (to my mind) on mozilla
    >>> firefox netscape, safari IE 6 etc,. but like a dogs breakfast on IE for
    >>> mac
    >>>
    >>> I would love to here views

    >>
    >> I can have a look from IE5 on Mac OS9 if you like. In any case, I will be
    >> doing this for somebody else this morning ... what's the URI?
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>
    >> --
    >> Roy Schestowitz
    >> http://schestowitz.com

    >
    > And it will be much appreciated.
    > Christopher


    Okay, all done. See picture [1..6] at:

    http://schestowitz.com/temp

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 18, 2005
    #5
  6. Tom

    kchayka Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > See picture [1..6] at:
    >
    > http://schestowitz.com/temp


    unknown file type

    --
    Reply email address is a bottomless spam bucket.
    Please reply to the group so everyone can share.
    kchayka, Jan 18, 2005
    #6
  7. > Okay, all done. See picture [1..6] at:
    Roy,
    Tried downloading and renaming to popular graphic file extensions. Please
    update the link. Thanks
    Christopher
    Christopher Richards, Jan 18, 2005
    #7
  8. Christopher Richards wrote:

    >> Okay, all done. See picture [1..6] at:

    > Roy,
    > Tried downloading and renaming to popular graphic file extensions. Please
    > update the link. Thanks
    > Christopher


    It was a Mac-specific format that's difficult to change (I tried).
    SimpleText could open it initially. I have just tried Open Office and it
    seems to open it albeit in rather low quality. If you want me to comment on
    the sites verbally, let me know.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 19, 2005
    #8
  9. "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    news:cski95$eki$...
    > Christopher Richards wrote:
    >
    >>> Okay, all done. See picture [1..6] at:

    >> Roy,
    >> Tried downloading and renaming to popular graphic file extensions. Please
    >> update the link. Thanks
    >> Christopher

    >
    > It was a Mac-specific format that's difficult to change (I tried).
    > SimpleText could open it initially. I have just tried Open Office and it
    > seems to open it albeit in rather low quality. If you want me to comment
    > on
    > the sites verbally, let me know.
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > --
    > Roy Schestowitz
    > http://schestowitz.com


    Yes please do because I can't open those files. Thanks by the way.
    Christopher Richards, Jan 19, 2005
    #9
  10. Christopher Richards wrote:

    >
    > "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    > news:cski95$eki$...
    >> Christopher Richards wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Okay, all done. See picture [1..6] at:
    >>> Roy,
    >>> Tried downloading and renaming to popular graphic file extensions.
    >>> Please update the link. Thanks
    >>> Christopher

    >>
    >> It was a Mac-specific format that's difficult to change (I tried).
    >> SimpleText could open it initially. I have just tried Open Office and it
    >> seems to open it albeit in rather low quality. If you want me to comment
    >> on
    >> the sites verbally, let me know.
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>
    >> --
    >> Roy Schestowitz
    >> http://schestowitz.com

    >
    > Yes please do because I can't open those files. Thanks by the way.


    I have just checked these one by one. Web video looks all okay. Haven't done
    any comparison against Firefox, but it looks 'correct'. Same with LifeLine.
    Same with the third site. They are all based on similar 'templates' so I
    can see consistency in the appearance, which seems rather pleasant to the
    visitor. I hope it takes all worries away.

    Get OpenOffice.org (also AppleWorks would be suitable) because the only
    person to judge this properly is yourself.


    HTH
    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 20, 2005
    #10
  11. Tom

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > It was a Mac-specific format that's difficult to change (I tried).


    They are in PICT format. ImageMagick can read and write PICT format, and
    can be used to convert it into virtually any other format you like.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Now Playing ~ ./keane/hopes_and_fears/01_somewhere_only_we_know.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Jan 22, 2005
    #11
  12. Tom

    dorayme Guest


    > From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    > Organization: Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
    > Newsgroups: alt.html
    > Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:49:08 +0000
    > Subject: Re: IE on MAC
    >
    > See picture [1..6] at:
    >
    > http://schestowitz.com/temp
    >
    > --
    > Roy Schestowitz
    > http://schestowitz.com




    in IE on a Mac running 9.1 I get an index at this address, the pics from 1
    to 6 are of an unknown type and cannot be opened, they display an icon in
    the index with a ? How have you prepared these pics, they have no ext in
    their names?

    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 16, 2005
    #12
  13. dorayme wrote:

    >> From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    >> Organization: Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
    >> Newsgroups: alt.html
    >> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:49:08 +0000
    >> Subject: Re: IE on MAC
    >>
    >> See picture [1..6] at:
    >>
    >> http://schestowitz.com/temp
    >>
    >> --
    >> Roy Schestowitz
    >> http://schestowitz.com

    >
    >
    >
    > in IE on a Mac running 9.1 I get an index at this address, the pics from 1
    > to 6 are of an unknown type and cannot be opened, they display an icon in
    > the index with a ? How have you prepared these pics, they have no ext in
    > their names?
    >
    > dorayme


    Richard had a hard time opening them as well (I think he ultimately gave
    up). They were in the default format for Mac OS9 screenshots and could only
    be opened by simpletext once saved locally. I then found out that they can
    also be opened under OpenOffice.org.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Feb 17, 2005
    #13
  14. Tom

    dorayme Guest


    > From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    > Organization: Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
    > Newsgroups: alt.html
    > Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:48:48 +0000
    > Subject: Re: IE on MAC
    >
    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    >>> From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    >>> Organization: Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
    >>> Newsgroups: alt.html
    >>> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:49:08 +0000
    >>> Subject: Re: IE on MAC
    >>>
    >>> See picture [1..6] at:
    >>>
    >>> http://schestowitz.com/temp
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Roy Schestowitz
    >>> http://schestowitz.com

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> in IE on a Mac running 9.1 I get an index at this address, the pics from 1
    >> to 6 are of an unknown type and cannot be opened, they display an icon in
    >> the index with a ? How have you prepared these pics, they have no ext in
    >> their names?
    >>
    >> dorayme

    >
    > Richard had a hard time opening them as well (I think he ultimately gave
    > up). They were in the default format for Mac OS9 screenshots and could only
    > be opened by simpletext once saved locally. I then found out that they can
    > also be opened under OpenOffice.org.
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > --
    > Roy Schestowitz
    > http://schestowitz.com



    The default is a "pict" file on macs for any OS <10 and has been for a long
    time. To post on the web, you change these to jpgs or gifs (or even png for
    some reason). You need an image editor like Photoshop to convert them. But I
    forget what is going on here and your purpose...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 17, 2005
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael Nicklas

    Ethernet MAC core

    Michael Nicklas, Nov 12, 2003, in forum: VHDL
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,740
    Allan Herriman
    Nov 13, 2003
  2. Phil Tomson

    EDA apps on Mac OSX?

    Phil Tomson, Jul 9, 2004, in forum: VHDL
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,080
    Phil Tomson
    Jul 9, 2004
  3. Roman =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Bl=F6th?=

    Senseless rendering: Mac.Mozilla != Mac.Netscape6.01 ?!?!

    Roman =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Bl=F6th?=, Jul 2, 2003, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    987
    Steve Pugh
    Jul 2, 2003
  4. mangm
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    729
    mangm
    Dec 1, 2005
  5. K Richard Pixley
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    332
    Ned Deily
    Jan 3, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page