IE peekaboo?

Jonathan N. Little

I did up a page for a dog club's website and the "webmaster" says that
the content text is not showing in IE6. Now it does have two floated
elements and does produce a white artifact sometimes appear *behind* the
content text which will disappear upon reload or resizing the window. A
peekaboo like problem but I see all the text! I have tested in IEv4-6,
v4 does break and IE5.01 doubles the top margin in the body text,
phffff! So what--it's IE! ;-) But I cannot reproduce *his* problem and
have checked it with 3 different computers.

Here is a mockup of the page.

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/
Yankee Pug Dog Club - 2007 Fund Raiser

Anyone else with IE have trouble with the page in IE, or is the problem
in this guy's browser...

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
I did up a page for a dog club's website and the "webmaster" says that
the content text is not showing in IE6. Now it does have two floated
elements and does produce a white artifact sometimes appear *behind* the
content text which will disappear upon reload or resizing the window. A
peekaboo like problem but I see all the text! I have tested in IEv4-6,
v4 does break and IE5.01 doubles the top margin in the body text,
phffff! So what--it's IE! ;-) But I cannot reproduce *his* problem and
have checked it with 3 different computers.

Here is a mockup of the page.

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/
Yankee Pug Dog Club - 2007 Fund Raiser

Anyone else with IE have trouble with the page in IE, or is the problem
in this guy's browser...

Works nicely in all Mac browsers including, I know you are dying
to know, and surprise surprise?, Mac IE.

Jonathan N. Little

Works nicely in all Mac browsers including, I know you are dying
to know, and surprise surprise?, Mac IE.

I know, I think his browser is whacked! I cannot get it to fail unless I
remove the "position: relative" on the H1 element, then I get the
classic IE Peekaboo.

I tried to style it to "coordinate" with their <ahhem> website but I
couldn't bring myself to mirror their vintage 90s ....well you know.

Els

Jonathan said:
I did up a page for a dog club's website and the "webmaster" says that
the content text is not showing in IE6. Now it does have two floated
elements and does produce a white artifact sometimes appear *behind* the
content text which will disappear upon reload or resizing the window. A
peekaboo like problem but I see all the text! I have tested in IEv4-6,
v4 does break and IE5.01 doubles the top margin in the body text,
phffff! So what--it's IE! ;-) But I cannot reproduce *his* problem and
have checked it with 3 different computers.

Here is a mockup of the page.

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/
Yankee Pug Dog Club - 2007 Fund Raiser

Anyone else with IE have trouble with the page in IE, or is the problem
in this guy's browser...

No problems in my IE6 (standalone version), but serious probs in IE7:
http://locusmeus.com/temp/pugdog.jpg

From what I tested quickly, it's caused by the italic text in the <em>
elements (IE italic bug), but can be solved by making enough space for
it, or constraining elements by giving them zoom:1 (IE only code, will
cause validation error). Zoom:1 gives an element 'layout' in IE
(Google for 'hasLayout'), just like position:relative does in some
cases too.

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

No problems in my IE6 (standalone version), but serious probs in IE7:
http://locusmeus.com/temp/pugdog.jpg

From what I tested quickly, it's caused by the italic text in the <em>
elements (IE italic bug), but can be solved by making enough space for
it, or constraining elements by giving them zoom:1 (IE only code, will
cause validation error). Zoom:1 gives an element 'layout' in IE
(Google for 'hasLayout'), just like position:relative does in some
cases too.

Thanks Els, I could not get the guy to send me screen shot. I bet he has
IE7 not IE6 as he says! I have not access to 7.

If I add horizontal padding to the EM element fix this, or do I have to
make EM display as BOLD non-ITALIC?

I just love IE!

Els

Jonathan said:
Thanks Els, I could not get the guy to send me screen shot. I bet he has
IE7 not IE6 as he says! I have not access to 7.

If I add horizontal padding to the EM element fix this,

No, padding on the <em> doesn't help anything, nor does padding on
#innerWrapper or #outerWrapper.
One thing that did help I noticed just now, is position:relative on
the #outerWrapper. Haven not tested the effect of that on IE6 or
anything though.
or do I have to
make EM display as BOLD non-ITALIC?

That certainly does help, as it takes away the Italic bug all together
:)
I just love IE!

Don't we all! :)

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
No, padding on the <em> doesn't help anything, nor does padding on
#innerWrapper or #outerWrapper.
One thing that did help I noticed just now, is position:relative on
the #outerWrapper. Haven not tested the effect of that on IE6 or
anything though.

NOPE! position:relative on #outerWrapper TOTALLY wipes out both floats
in IE6! I love it!

Okay I have change EM, does it now work in IE7?

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/
Yankee Pug Dog Club - 2007 Fund Raiser

I appreciate the help, I have to get the turkey out. Now I have to
<shudder> break down and upgrade to XP Pro.

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
Yup, works nicely :)

THANKS! I needed to put this puppy to bed.
And then you'll see IE7 too then?

Gaw'd I hate the Fisher-Price GUI, that is the first hack I will have to
apply. Next the stupid "wizards" for setting things up. If you know
what you are doing configuring network settings is straightforward even
in old W98, Don't have to watch the little inane animation "Preparing
your network connection..." for 10 minutes while XP queries and logs
every possible configuration and resource! The Linux that I use for my
servers is beginning to look more an more attractive for my desktop ;-)

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
I appreciate the help, I have to get the turkey out. Now I have to
<shudder> break down and upgrade to XP Pro.

....go ahead and leave me to be the only turkey left in the world
with Win 2000 on my Win box.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
...go ahead and leave me to be the only turkey left in the world
with Win 2000 on my Win box.

I love Win2k, fast, efficient, stable, no BS. Don't want to change and
certainly do not want Vista. I am hope to skip that one and in hopes
that post-Vista OS MS might get it right. But I may not have to worry
about that if things go as has been the trend. I will be dead and gone
long before it is released.

Neredbojias

THANKS! I needed to put this puppy to bed.

Gaw'd I hate the Fisher-Price GUI, that is the first hack I will have
apply. Next the stupid "wizards" for setting things up. If you know
what you are doing configuring network settings is straightforward
even in old W98, Don't have to watch the little inane animation
"Preparing your network connection..." for 10 minutes while XP queries
and logs every possible configuration and resource! The Linux that I
use for my servers is beginning to look more an more attractive for my
desktop ;-)

What kind of network are you looking at? I've setup a 3 computer
wireless peer-to-peer (WEP) ntw with XP _Home_. Manually, 'course.

Rik

Jonathan N. Little said:
I love Win2k, fast, efficient, stable, no BS.

Indeed, happy user of an (nlited) w2k pro version here (BTW did you know
that when you remove the fax support from windows, MS Office can't be
installed? Strange dependancy..). Certainly with all bells & whistles off
very efficient. I do have seldom used XP64 box however, handy for checking
MSIE7.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
...go ahead and leave me to be the only turkey left in the world
with Win 2000 on my Win box.

The guy is telling me that he *does* have IE6 and not 7, but that the
content text is missing. He says it is actually there but the same color
as the background. It is visible if he selects it! I cannot get him to
send me a screenshot yet, but the content is explicitly defined:

#innerWrapper { border: .5em solid #8fbc8f; color: #000;
background-color: #faf0e6; }

black on flesh color to match their site. I cannot get it to fail. Its
got you be something specific to his browser. Some Yahoo|Whahoo Toolbar
mucking things on something.

I have validated both the markup and the CSS...cannot see what the
problem could be.

Jonathan N. Little

Rik said:
Indeed, happy user of an (nlited) w2k pro version here (BTW did you know
that when you remove the fax support from windows, MS Office can't be
installed? Strange dependancy..). Certainly with all bells & whistles
off very efficient. I do have seldom used XP64 box however, handy for
checking MSIE7.

From the Start>Run command

echo wacked > %SystemRoot%\media\"Windows XP Startup.wav"

can give you a bad day the next time you reboot.

Els

Jonathan said:
The guy is telling me that he *does* have IE6 and not 7, but that the
content text is missing. He says it is actually there but the same color
as the background. It is visible if he selects it! I cannot get him to
send me a screenshot yet, but the content is explicitly defined:

#innerWrapper { border: .5em solid #8fbc8f; color: #000;
background-color: #faf0e6; }

That sets the colours on the wrapper. I think that regardless of what
causes the problem, you can still make him see the text by setting the
same colours to the <p> elements as well.
Unless it's caused by position:relative on something that has
background-color, then you might need to give the <p> elements
position:relative too to make them appear 'in front of' its parent.
I've seen entire images disappear because of position:relative on a
(grand-)parent, and only got them to re-appear by giving them
position:relative as well...
black on flesh color to match their site. I cannot get it to fail. Its
got you be something specific to his browser. Some Yahoo|Whahoo Toolbar
mucking things on something.

Do you know on what OS he is? I've noticed in the past that identical
browsers give different results between for instance XP and 2000.
I have validated both the markup and the CSS...cannot see what the
problem could be.

It's IE6 - validating won't help ;-)

Bergamot

Jonathan said:
I love Win2k, fast, efficient, stable, no BS. Don't want to change and
certainly do not want Vista.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't bother upgrading to XP because I didn't
see any real benefit in it. Everything I've seen and heard about Vista
makes me want to avoid it altogether. The only thing I miss is IE7, but
I have access to that from a nearby PC. I do hope MS does better with
the next O/S, not worse.

Bergamot

Jonathan said:
The guy is telling me that he *does* have IE6 and not 7, but that the
content text is missing.

I cannot get it to fail.

It's definitely peekaboo. I got the same result as the client after I
downloaded your test page to my local drive and commented out the <em>
style rule, letting it default to italics.

One thing I noticed is that you do not have a container around the 3
divs in the midsection. I discovered a long time ago that some browsers,
not just IE, can have quirky renderings if there isn't a separate
container surrounding just the "column" divs.

A common cure for IE float weirdness is to set position:relative on the
floated elements. It usually does no harm to other browsers, but do test
to make sure. Setting position:relative on the added midsection
container may cure the other parts.

zoom:1 is also known to do wonders.

HTH

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
That sets the colours on the wrapper. I think that regardless of what
causes the problem, you can still make him see the text by setting the
same colours to the <p> elements as well.
Unless it's caused by position:relative on something that has
background-color, then you might need to give the <p> elements
position:relative too to make them appear 'in front of' its parent.
I've seen entire images disappear because of position:relative on a
(grand-)parent, and only got them to re-appear by giving them
position:relative as well...

*!@#%$#@!#!!* Damn! I did that and even gave the Ps a class and set css as

#innerWrapper P.ie and it appears to be a (IE6 on WinXP) error seems to
works on IE6 when on other versions of Windows. Had a friend with WinXP
check it out and she says the text is then for a second than disappears!

BootNic

Jonathan N. Little said:
[email protected]
I did up a page for a dog club's website and the "webmaster" says that
the content text is not showing in IE6. Now it does have two floated
elements and does produce a white artifact sometimes appear *behind*
the content text which will disappear upon reload or resizing the
window. A peekaboo like problem but I see all the text! I have tested
in IEv4-6, v4 does break and IE5.01 doubles the top margin in the
body text, phffff! So what--it's IE! ;-) But I cannot reproduce *his*
problem and have checked it with 3 different computers.

Here is a mockup of the page.

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/
Yankee Pug Dog Club - 2007 Fund Raiser

Anyone else with IE have trouble with the page in IE, or is the
problem in this guy's browser...

See if setting line-height will make it behave.

body {
line-height:1.3;
}