IE & PNG

Mark Parnell

Headless said:
Ah, maybe it's local to my machine. This is what I'm seeing:
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/ie_png.png

I understand the problem now. I do see the same as you - I assume that you
are talking about the slight colour difference? The 2 images should be
completely identical (in effect, look like one image)?

It seems that yes it is a bug in IE, but I can't see it ever being a
problem. When are you going to have a gif and a png that are identical next
to each other like that?

Afraid I don't know of a workaround either.

Black Mage

Muttered by Headless on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:21:32 +0100:
IE6 displays certain (non transparent) PNG files wrong:
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/ie_png.htm

Anyone know what to avoid when creating png graphics that need to work
in IE?

Headless

Different versions of MSIE handle PNG's differently. None of them do it
properly, the main thing to avoid when using PNGs that will appear in a
MSIE browser is transparencies. MSIE displays some funky wierd stuff when
you try and have alpha layers in your PNG images.

Headless

Mark said:
I understand the problem now. I do see the same as you - I assume that you
are talking about the slight colour difference? The 2 images should be
completely identical (in effect, look like one image)?
Yes.

It seems that yes it is a bug in IE, but I can't see it ever being a
problem. When are you going to have a gif and a png that are identical next
to each other like that?

All the time, example: the image I used is used as a non tiled
background image, it's "padded out" to the right with a background
colour to get it to scale to width. The colour difference is impossible
to miss.

I do this all the time. Headers that use an image to get the nicer look
that you get due to anti aliasing, crop the image to make it as small as
possible, use it as a foreground image with a background colour to pad
it out so that it's scalable.

Headless

Jason Summers

Headless said:
Any tools you can recommend to do that? I've got a copy of png crunch
somewhere that can probably do it, but it's a bit to advanced for my
level, a tool with a GUI would suit me better.

If you only have a few images, you could try using Tweakpng
(http://entropymine.com/jason/tweakpng/).

But pngcrush is probably easiest in the long run --
pngcrush -rem gama -srgb 1 in.png out.png

Mark Parnell

Headless said:
All the time, example: the image I used is used as a non tiled
background image, it's "padded out" to the right with a background
colour to get it to scale to width. The colour difference is
impossible
to miss.

I do this all the time. Headers that use an image to get the nicer
look
that you get due to anti aliasing, crop the image to make it as small
as possible, use it as a foreground image with a background colour to
pad
it out so that it's scalable.

Still not sure that I entirely understand what you are trying to do, but I
can see that there is obviously a legitimate use for it.

I see that someone else seems to have solved it for you, so best of luck.
:)