IE & PNG

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Headless, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Headless

    Headless Guest

    Headless, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Headless

    m Guest

    m, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Headless

    Headless Guest

    Headless, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Headless

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Headless wrote:
    > IE6 displays certain (non transparent) PNG files wrong:
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/ie_png.htm

    What exactly is the problem? It looks much the same in IE and Mozilla to me
    (except the white line between the images in Mozilla).

    > Anyone know what to avoid when creating png graphics that need to work
    > in IE?

    Not offhand, but if I could see what the problem was maybe that would help
    ;-)

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Headless

    m Guest

    Headless wrote:

    > m wrote:

    > Read again what I wrote,

    Just looked at it in IE, and don't see the problem at all.
    What are you seeing?

    m, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Headless

    Headless Guest

    Headless, Sep 2, 2003
  7. Headless

    m Guest

    Headless wrote:

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >

    >>>IE6 displays certain (non transparent) PNG files wrong:
    >>>http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/ie_png.htm

    >>What exactly is the problem? It looks much the same in IE and Mozilla to me
    >>(except the white line between the images in Mozilla).

    > Ah, maybe it's local to my machine. This is what I'm seeing:
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/ie_png.png
    >

    > Headless

    I still don't see it. Some editing programs like GIMP can save
    PNGs at different compression levels. Display of a particular
    level by different browsers may not be uniform.

    m, Sep 2, 2003
  8. Headless

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Headless wrote:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    >>> IE6 displays certain (non transparent) PNG files wrong:
    >>> http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/ie_png.htm

    >> What exactly is the problem? It looks much the same in IE and
    >> Mozilla to me (except the white line between the images in Mozilla).

    > Ah, maybe it's local to my machine. This is what I'm seeing:
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/ie_png.png

    I understand the problem now. I do see the same as you - I assume that you
    are talking about the slight colour difference? The 2 images should be
    completely identical (in effect, look like one image)?

    It seems that yes it is a bug in IE, but I can't see it ever being a
    problem. When are you going to have a gif and a png that are identical next
    to each other like that?

    Afraid I don't know of a workaround either.

    Mark Parnell, Sep 2, 2003
  9. Headless

    Black Mage Guest

    Muttered by Headless on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:21:32 +0100:

    > IE6 displays certain (non transparent) PNG files wrong:
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/ie_png.htm
    >
    > Anyone know what to avoid when creating png graphics that need to work
    > in IE?
    >

    > Headless

    Different versions of MSIE handle PNG's differently. None of them do it
    properly, the main thing to avoid when using PNGs that will appear in a
    MSIE browser is transparencies. MSIE displays some funky wierd stuff when
    you try and have alpha layers in your PNG images.

    Black Mage, Sep 2, 2003
  10. Headless wrote:

    > IE6 displays certain (non transparent) PNG files wrong:
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/ie_png.htm
    >
    > Anyone know what to avoid when creating png graphics that need to work
    > in IE?

    alpha transparency, mainly.

    i've seen IE muck up many a image before, but i've only tracked it down
    to alpha.

    Charles Banas, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Headless

    Headless Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    >>> What exactly is the problem? It looks much the same in IE and
    >>> Mozilla to me (except the white line between the images in Mozilla).

    >> Ah, maybe it's local to my machine. This is what I'm seeing:
    >> http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/ie_png.png

    >I understand the problem now. I do see the same as you - I assume that you
    >are talking about the slight colour difference? The 2 images should be
    >completely identical (in effect, look like one image)?

    Yes.

    >It seems that yes it is a bug in IE, but I can't see it ever being a
    >problem. When are you going to have a gif and a png that are identical next
    >to each other like that?

    All the time, example: the image I used is used as a non tiled
    background image, it's "padded out" to the right with a background
    colour to get it to scale to width. The colour difference is impossible
    to miss.

    I do this all the time. Headers that use an image to get the nicer look
    that you get due to anti aliasing, crop the image to make it as small as
    possible, use it as a foreground image with a background colour to pad
    it out so that it's scalable.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

    Headless, Sep 2, 2003
  12. Jason Summers, Sep 2, 2003
  13. Headless

    Headless Guest

    Jason Summers wrote:

    >> IE6 displays certain (non transparent) PNG files wrong:
    >> http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/ie_png.htm
    >>
    >> Anyone know what to avoid when creating png graphics that need to work
    >> in IE?

    >IE does gamma correction slightly wrong. (see
    >http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/gamma/)

    Thanks for that.

    >If you need the colors to match exactly, remove the gAMA chunk, or
    >replace it with an sRGB chunk.

    Any tools you can recommend to do that? I've got a copy of png crunch
    somewhere that can probably do it, but it's a bit to advanced for my
    level, a tool with a GUI would suit me better.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

    Headless, Sep 2, 2003
  14. Headless wrote:
    > Jason Summers wrote:
    >
    >>If you need the colors to match exactly, remove the gAMA chunk, or
    >>replace it with an sRGB chunk.

    > Any tools you can recommend to do that? I've got a copy of png crunch
    > somewhere that can probably do it, but it's a bit to advanced for my
    > level, a tool with a GUI would suit me better.

    If you only have a few images, you could try using Tweakpng
    (http://entropymine.com/jason/tweakpng/).

    But pngcrush is probably easiest in the long run --
    pngcrush -rem gama -srgb 1 in.png out.png

    Jason Summers, Sep 2, 2003
  15. Headless

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Headless wrote:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >> It seems that yes it is a bug in IE, but I can't see it ever being a
    >> problem. When are you going to have a gif and a png that are
    >> identical next to each other like that?

    > All the time, example: the image I used is used as a non tiled
    > background image, it's "padded out" to the right with a background
    > colour to get it to scale to width. The colour difference is
    > impossible
    > to miss.
    >
    > I do this all the time. Headers that use an image to get the nicer
    > look
    > that you get due to anti aliasing, crop the image to make it as small
    > as possible, use it as a foreground image with a background colour to
    > pad
    > it out so that it's scalable.

    Still not sure that I entirely understand what you are trying to do, but I
    can see that there is obviously a legitimate use for it.

    I see that someone else seems to have solved it for you, so best of luck.
    :)

    Mark Parnell, Sep 3, 2003