IE problems on a site which has both valid css and xhtml

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    The following site works fine under Moz 1.6 (Linux) and Firebird 0.8
    (Linux). Under IE, nothing happens on screen. Zilch. Nada.

    Both the html and css files validate at w3c. I've only (so far) tested it
    at 1024 x 768. I know there is an issue with the drop down menu system,
    but it's a development site, so that's to be expected.

    Can anyone see the problem - my head hurts from staring at a screen....

    http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/accu

    TTFN

    Paul

    --
    One OS to fool them all
    One browser to find them

    Paul F. Johnson, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    > Hi,
    > The following site works fine under Moz 1.6 (Linux) and Firebird 0.8
    > (Linux). Under IE, nothing happens on screen. Zilch. Nada.
    >
    > Both the html and css files validate at w3c. I've only (so far)
    > tested it at 1024 x 768. I know there is an issue with the drop down
    > menu system, but it's a development site, so that's to be expected.
    >
    > Can anyone see the problem - my head hurts from staring at a
    > screen....
    > http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/accu

    It certainly is amazing! Opera 7.32 can't handle it either. I loaded the HTML
    into Dreamweaver, and in design view (WYSIWYG mode) it didn't show anything -
    just like IE.

    Try this. Delete the line:
    <script src="javascript/resize.js" language="JavaScript"
    type="text/javascript" />

    I have no idea why, but it made the page appear in these browsers when I
    called them from Dreamweaver. If you find out why, please tell me. But this
    may be homing-in on your problem.

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/

    Barry Pearson, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Barry Pearson wrote:
    > Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> The following site works fine under Moz 1.6 (Linux) and Firebird 0.8
    >> (Linux). Under IE, nothing happens on screen. Zilch. Nada.

    [snip]
    >> Can anyone see the problem - my head hurts from staring at a
    >> screen....
    >> http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/accu

    > It certainly is amazing! Opera 7.32 can't handle it either. I loaded
    > the HTML into Dreamweaver, and in design view (WYSIWYG mode) it
    > didn't show anything - just like IE.
    >
    > Try this. Delete the line:
    > <script src="javascript/resize.js" language="JavaScript"
    > type="text/javascript" />
    >
    > I have no idea why, but it made the page appear in these browsers
    > when I called them from Dreamweaver. If you find out why, please tell
    > me. But this may be homing-in on your problem.

    I wonder:

    Does any package that doesn't understand XHTML fail to realise that " /> is
    equivalent to a closing tag? Therefore, they think the whole of the rest of
    the document is script. And I'm pretty sure that IE is such a package. And so
    is Dreamweaver 4, I think.

    So, if you (Paul) had <script ...></script> instead (I'm assuming that is
    still valid XHTML?), would that work with non-XHTML-aware packages?

    I just tried putting <script /> into a random document, and Dreamweaver
    stopped displaying the document. But, as expected, <script></script> was OK.

    If so, that exposes a problem with any element that *requires* a closing tag -
    it won't be sufficient to use " />". (But what else is there? <object>?
    <iframe>? Hm! I'll stick to HTML).

    Barry Pearson, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Barry Pearson did utter the following words of wisdom:

    > Does any package that doesn't understand XHTML fail to realise that " /> is
    > equivalent to a closing tag? Therefore, they think the whole of the rest of
    > the document is script. And I'm pretty sure that IE is such a package. And so
    > is Dreamweaver 4, I think.
    >
    > So, if you (Paul) had <script ...></script> instead (I'm assuming that is
    > still valid XHTML?), would that work with non-XHTML-aware packages?

    IE5.5 and 6 understands XHTML - but they (MS) probably thought it would be
    a nice "feature" for it not to work properly, like CSS and JS...

    > If so, that exposes a problem with any element that *requires* a closing
    > tag - it won't be sufficient to use " />". (But what else is there?
    > <object>? <iframe>? Hm! I'll stick to HTML).

    There are lots of bits which can be used as a singleton rather than a
    doublet (i.e. the likes of link). I wonder if there is a list somewhere of
    what IE gets wrong so I can avoid them in future.

    Oh for the day when browsers, irresepective of platform, obey properly the
    W3C standard and not what they think it means.

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    > Barry Pearson did utter the following words of wisdom:
    >
    >> Does any package that doesn't understand XHTML fail to realise that
    >> " /> is equivalent to a closing tag? Therefore, they think the whole
    >> of the rest of the document is script. And I'm pretty sure that IE
    >> is such a package. And so is Dreamweaver 4, I think.
    >>
    >> So, if you (Paul) had <script ...></script> instead (I'm assuming
    >> that is still valid XHTML?), would that work with non-XHTML-aware
    >> packages?

    As a matter of interest, does this solve the problem?

    > IE5.5 and 6 understands XHTML - but they (MS) probably thought it
    > would be a nice "feature" for it not to work properly, like CSS and
    > JS...

    Do they actually understand the difference between HTML & XHTML? I thought,
    from what I read elsewhere, that the syntax (in particular the space before
    the "/>") exploited a bug in IE, and tricked IE into handling XHTML even
    though it wasn't designed to? (Or have I got that wrong?)

    >> If so, that exposes a problem with any element that *requires* a
    >> closing
    >> tag - it won't be sufficient to use " />". (But what else is there?
    >> <object>? <iframe>? Hm! I'll stick to HTML).

    > There are lots of bits which can be used as a singleton rather than a
    > doublet (i.e. the likes of link). I wonder if there is a list
    > somewhere of what IE gets wrong so I can avoid them in future.

    [snip]

    And Opera 7.23 got this wrong! But it is a good question - I've didn't find
    such a source when I was deciding whether to stick with HTML (which I did) or
    move to XHTML.

    Barry Pearson, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Paul F. Johnson wrote:

    > IE5.5 and 6 understands XHTML - but they (MS) probably thought it would be
    > a nice "feature" for it not to work properly, like CSS and JS...

    Only for some values of "understands".

    All old browsers (even going back to things like Netscape 1, IE 2, Mosaic
    0.6, etc) *can* understand *some* XHTML, but they don't *realise* what
    they're looking at is XHTML: they think they're looking at some slightly
    malformed HTML. Their error recovery algorithms kick in and they do a
    reasonable job.

    All current versions of Internet Explorer for any platform fit into this
    category.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 21, 2004