IE Prompt

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by robert.don.wilson@gmail.com, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. Guest

    General Problem:
    Since IE7 decided to mess with the prompt function we've had an
    interesting problem to solve. We just want to ask the user for a name
    but we would like it to have a modal implementation (not let the user
    go anywhere until they click ok or cancel).

    A script that I found (IEPrompt):
    I found a script that basically does what we want. It grays out the
    whole screen, places a div in the middle of the screen and waits for
    user input. It is IEPrompt. You can see this script here:
    http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Working_around_IE7s_prompt_bug,_er_feature.

    Problem with the IEPrompt script:
    The problem with this script is that it doesn't work correctly in IE6
    mostly. We want the prompt to display in the middle of the screen no
    matter how much of the screen they've scrolled down or whatever. In
    IE6, the prompt only displays in what would be the middle of the
    screen if you were scrolled to the top of the page and it doesn't gray
    out any more than what would be a whole page if you were scrolled to
    the top.

    Main question:
    Anyways, I've tried tweaking it a little bit and I can't get anything
    to work. We need it to work in Firefox, IE6, and IE7. I don't care
    if I fix this script or not, I just want something to work nicely.
    Does anyone know of anything that we could use to solve this problem?

    Thanks for your help.

    , Feb 22, 2007

  2. -Lost Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > General Problem:
    > Since IE7 decided to mess with the prompt function we've had an
    > interesting problem to solve. We just want to ask the user for a name
    > but we would like it to have a modal implementation (not let the user
    > go anywhere until they click ok or cancel).
    >
    > A script that I found (IEPrompt):
    > I found a script that basically does what we want. It grays out the
    > whole screen, places a div in the middle of the screen and waits for
    > user input. It is IEPrompt. You can see this script here:
    > http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Working_around_IE7s_prompt_bug,_er_feature.
    >
    > Problem with the IEPrompt script:
    > The problem with this script is that it doesn't work correctly in IE6
    > mostly. We want the prompt to display in the middle of the screen no
    > matter how much of the screen they've scrolled down or whatever. In
    > IE6, the prompt only displays in what would be the middle of the
    > screen if you were scrolled to the top of the page and it doesn't gray
    > out any more than what would be a whole page if you were scrolled to
    > the top.

    The modified version works just fine in Internet Explorer 6 and "pops" up in the middle of
    the current viewport.

    > Main question:
    > Anyways, I've tried tweaking it a little bit and I can't get anything
    > to work. We need it to work in Firefox, IE6, and IE7. I don't care
    > if I fix this script or not, I just want something to work nicely.
    > Does anyone know of anything that we could use to solve this problem?

    Try asking the author. He is very helpful and knowledgeable - especially about his own
    creations.

    -Lost

    -Lost, Feb 22, 2007