IE Script Warning from Local Drive

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Saml, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Saml

    Saml Guest

    When opened in IE 6.0 SP2 from my local hard drive, the simple javascript
    below gives me a warning

    "To help protect your security, Internet Explored has restricted this file
    from showing active content that could access your computer."

    But it gives no warning when opened from
    http://home.comcast.net/~lennsam_va/test1.htm and this is what I expect,
    since I'm not trying to block scripting.

    I can't seem to find any IE setting that will stop the warning message when
    opening from my local drive. I can right click and allow blocked content,
    but it annoys me when testing stuff locally.

    What am I missing?

    Thanks, Sam

    <head>
    <title>New Page 1</title>
    </head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    document.write("Hello, world!")
    -->
    </script>

    Saml, Mar 25, 2006

  2. Saml

    Randy Webb Guest

    Saml said the following on 3/24/2006 10:05 PM:
    > When opened in IE 6.0 SP2 from my local hard drive, the simple javascript
    > below gives me a warning
    >
    > "To help protect your security, Internet Explored has restricted this file
    > from showing active content that could access your computer."
    >

    > But it gives no warning when opened from
    > http://home.comcast.net/~lennsam_va/test1.htm and this is what I expect,
    > since I'm not trying to block scripting.
    >
    > I can't seem to find any IE setting that will stop the warning message when
    > opening from my local drive. I can right click and allow blocked content,
    > but it annoys me when testing stuff locally.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab
    Security section> Allow Active Content...

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Mar 25, 2006

  3. Saml

    Saml Guest

    "Randy Webb" <> wrote in message
    I'm not trying to block scripting.

    >> I can't seem to find any IE setting that will stop the warning message
    >> when opening from my local drive. I can right click and allow blocked
    >> content, but it annoys me when testing stuff locally.
    >>
    >> What am I missing?

    > Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab
    > Security section> Allow Active Content...
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    > Javascript Best Practices -
    > http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/

    Thab ks! This it: Allow active content to run in file on My Computer.

    Not sure how I missed this. And I'd have thought that this was a minor
    security issue. Is there something else that this open up that Microsoft
    isn't spelling out? There's no help info in this section.

    Sam

    Saml, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Saml

    Randy Webb Guest

    Saml said the following on 3/25/2006 10:57 AM:
    > "Randy Webb" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not trying to block scripting.
    >>> I can't seem to find any IE setting that will stop the warning message
    >>> when opening from my local drive. I can right click and allow blocked
    >>> content, but it annoys me when testing stuff locally.
    >>>
    >>> What am I missing?

    >> Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab
    >> Security section> Allow Active Content...

    > Thab ks! This it: Allow active content to run in file on My Computer.
    >
    > Not sure how I missed this. And I'd have thought that this was a minor
    > security issue. Is there something else that this open up that Microsoft
    > isn't spelling out? There's no help info in this section.

    The security issue was ActiveX for the most part and instead of
    admitting that ActiveX had a flaw and allowing you to disable it
    locally, MS took the step of branding all scripts a security issue and
    giving the warnings you get. Its a case of MS not admitting the truth.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Mar 25, 2006