IE Shows Spaces Between Boxes

VUNETdotUS

Hello,
IE shows spaces between a few boxes made of ul-li elements in CSS
unlike Firefox. I tried padding/margin in different places but cannot
fix it. The URL is http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/ztop.asp, see pop-up
menu over link "My Test"
Please, recommend a fix for IE. The menu keeps disappearing because of
the gaps (spaces) when moving mouse up and down.
Thanks.

Els

VUNETdotUS said:
Hello,
IE shows spaces between a few boxes made of ul-li elements in CSS
unlike Firefox. I tried padding/margin in different places but cannot
fix it. The URL is http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/ztop.asp, see pop-up
menu over link "My Test"
Please, recommend a fix for IE. The menu keeps disappearing because of
the gaps (spaces) when moving mouse up and down.

Since this is an 'on hover' effect only, it's difficult to trouble
shoot with the usual browser plugins. How about giving the same
example with static code? (i.e. the result of the csshover.htc)

Jonathan N. Little

VUNETdotUS said:
Hello,
IE shows spaces between a few boxes made of ul-li elements in CSS
unlike Firefox. I tried padding/margin in different places but cannot
fix it. The URL is http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/ztop.asp, see pop-up
menu over link "My Test"
Please, recommend a fix for IE. The menu keeps disappearing because of
the gaps (spaces) when moving mouse up and down.
Thanks.

You're in quirks mode IE will use old non-standard rendering. First
switch to the 4.01 strict doctype. Remove all those z-index properties
they are not needed. Many times to successfully debug you need to
*remove* not *add* things...

Els

Jonathan said:
You're in quirks mode IE will use old non-standard rendering. First
switch to the 4.01 strict doctype. Remove all those z-index properties
they are not needed. Many times to successfully debug you need to
*remove* not *add* things...

As far as I can see, his page is rendered in standards mode; a
transitional doctype doesn't mean quirksmode. Only IE5 does quirksmode
on this page, but it would do that on a Strict page too.

VUNETdotUS

You're in quirks mode IE will use old non-standard rendering. First
switch to the 4.01 strict doctype. Remove all those z-index properties
they are not needed. Many times to successfully debug you need to
*remove* not *add* things...

I removed most z-indexes, removed .htc file, changed doctype to
.... same thing. Only when I am over "right div" bar, IE7 does not hide
menu.
Sorry, I did not changed my example online: no access at the time. I
implemented your suggestions locally by copying code.
Isn't it some CSS box properties I need to look at?
Thanks.

Els

VUNETdotUS said:
Sorry, I did not changed my example online: no access at the time. I
implemented your suggestions locally by copying code.
Isn't it some CSS box properties I need to look at?

Now that I know it's not the htc file, I copied your page locally, and
found what's causing it: white space between the <li> elements. I'm
not sure if there is another way to get rid of it without a lot of
hacking, but if you just put the <li> elements connected, the space is
gone.
Like so:
><li><a....>BBBBBB</a></li
><li><a....>CCCCCC</a></li
><li><a....>DDDDDD</a></li
><li><a....>EEEEEE</a></li>
</ul>

(or just all on one line, but this way it is easier to read)

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
Now that I know it's not the htc file, I copied your page locally, and
found what's causing it: white space between the <li> elements. I'm
not sure if there is another way to get rid of it without a lot of
hacking, but if you just put the <li> elements connected, the space is
gone.
Like so:

</ul>

(or just all on one line, but this way it is easier to read)

IE whitespace bug.. Worst when in quirks mode.

VUNETdotUS

Now that I know it's not the htc file, I copied your page locally, and
found what's causing it: white space between the <li> elements. I'm
not sure if there is another way to get rid of it without a lot of
hacking, but if you just put the <li> elements connected, the space is
gone.
Like so:

</ul>

(or just all on one line, but this way it is easier to read)

WOW! Deepest thanks. IE...