IE TreeView WebControls lockup / freeze solution

Mike Szanto

This post is intended to provide a possible solution to a problem with
the Internet Explorer TreeView WebControl where it locks up or freezes
when you try to open a treeview node.

I experienced this problem for quite some time on my development
machine, but not on my user's machines.

The problem was caused by changing the default setting in IE for 'Check
for newer versions of stored pages'. (In IE select Tools > Internet
Options > General Tab > Settings)
I had changed the setting from the default, 'Automatically', to 'Every
visit to the page'. Changing this setting back to 'Automatically'
resolved the problem.

I ran across a solution the other day while testing out image caching. I
had noticed that everytime I hovered over one of treeview images it was
reloading it from the server. This is very bad behavior because it puts
a lot more load on the web server therefore I needed to track down why
it was doing this and discovered that I had changed the setting in IE
for testing purposes.

FYI,

Mike