    While it is not a critical issue in this case, I feel that there is probably
    an important lesson to be learned here.
    Brian.

    KiwiBrian, Oct 10, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I am having a problem getting IE6 and FireFox 1.07 to display a page in the
    > same way.
    > If anyone has the time to look the the page is:-
    > http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/Oxfam/aboutox.html
    > All the CSS is embedded for convenience.
    > The discrepancy between the two browsers that I have been unable to
    > eliminate is the vertical spacing between the navbar and the text "About
    > Oxfam New Zealand" below the navbar.
    > While it is not a critical issue in this case, I feel that there is probably
    > an important lesson to be learned here.
    > Brian.

    Maybe correcting the errors will help.

    27 errors in the HTML.
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/Oxfam/aboutox.html>

    Many CSS warnings. Start by removing the comment markers within the
    <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A//www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/Oxfam/aboutox.html>

    --
    -bts
    -When motorcycling, never follow a pig truck

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 10, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    rf Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I am having a problem getting IE6 and FireFox 1.07 to display a page in the
    > same way.
    > If anyone has the time to look the the page is:-
    > http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/Oxfam/aboutox.html
    > All the CSS is embedded for convenience.
    > The discrepancy between the two browsers that I have been unable to
    > eliminate is the vertical spacing between the navbar and the text "About
    > Oxfam New Zealand" below the navbar.
    > While it is not a critical issue in this case, I feel that there is probably
    > an important lesson to be learned here.

    Switch on borders for all elements:
    * {border: solid 1px green;}
    and you will see which elements are causing the space and which
    margin/padding properties you should tweak to remove the space.

    I'm suspicious of that margin: 0,auto.

    BTW when I ignore your font-size: 14px (which is two pixels below my
    preferred and minimum font size of 16px) your navigation wraps onto two
    lines.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 10, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    >I am having a problem getting IE6 and FireFox 1.07 to display a page in the
    >same way.
    > If anyone has the time to look the the page is:-
    > http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/Oxfam/aboutox.html
    > All the CSS is embedded for convenience.
    > The discrepancy between the two browsers that I have been unable to
    > eliminate is the vertical spacing between the navbar and the text "About
    > Oxfam New Zealand" below the navbar.
    > While it is not a critical issue in this case, I feel that there is
    > probably
    > an important lesson to be learned here.
    > Brian.

    Thanks very much chaps.
    You were both very helpful in a catalytic sort of way....
    Brian

    KiwiBrian, Oct 10, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    Vladdy Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I am having a problem getting IE6 and FireFox 1.07 to display a page in the
    > same way.
    > If anyone has the time to look the the page is:-
    > http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/Oxfam/aboutox.html
    > All the CSS is embedded for convenience.
    > The discrepancy between the two browsers that I have been unable to
    > eliminate is the vertical spacing between the navbar and the text "About
    > Oxfam New Zealand" below the navbar.
    > While it is not a critical issue in this case, I feel that there is probably
    > an important lesson to be learned here.
    > Brian.

    Step 1: Correct HTML mark-up errors as was already pointed out
    Step 2: Switch to Strict DTD to put IE in a "slightly more" compliant mode
    Step 3: Correct any new mark-up that were cased by switching doctype
    Step 4: Start styling...

    --
    Vladdy
    http://www.klproductions.com