IE versus mozilla display of divisions

time waster

Ok. I'm working on a simple standard 3 division problem here. Basic web site
style of banner and two divisions below it. In IE, the third division shows
properly. But in Mozilla, the third division drops down below the others. I just
can't figure out why this is happening. Here's my code I'm using.

div.big {position:absolute;
left:1px; top:1px;
width:99%; height:200%;
border:solid black; float:left; }

div.banner {width99%; height:100px; border:solid red;}

div.left { width:30%; height:100%; border:solid blue; float:left; }
div.middle {width:70%; height:100%; border:solid black; float:left; }
div.right {width:24%; height:100%; border:solid green; float:left; }

</HEAD>
<BODY>

hello
world

time waster

Ok. I'm working on a simple standard 3 division problem here. Basic web site
style of banner and two divisions below it. In IE, the third division shows
properly. But in Mozilla, the third division drops down below the others. I just
can't figure out why this is happening. Here's my code I'm using.

Ok I got that worked out. Am I correct in assuming that the "float:left" on the
final division is the reason for the dropping? It appears to be.
Works just fine now.

Toby A Inkster

time said:
div.left { width:30%; height:100%; border:solid blue; float:left; }
div.middle {width:70%; height:100%; border:solid black; float:left; }

Total width of div.left and div.width is:

30% + 70% + (4 * "a little bit of space for the border")

Best not to specify a width for div.middle, nor float it.

Kevin Scholl

time said:
Ok. I'm working on a simple standard 3 division problem here. Basic web site
style of banner and two divisions below it. In IE, the third division shows
properly. But in Mozilla, the third division drops down below the others. I just
can't figure out why this is happening. Here's my code I'm using.

div.big {position:absolute;
left:1px; top:1px;
width:99%; height:200%;
border:solid black; float:left; }

div.banner {width99%; height:100px; border:solid red;}

div.left { width:30%; height:100%; border:solid blue; float:left; }
div.middle {width:70%; height:100%; border:solid black; float:left; }

Why not float:right?
div.right {width:24%; height:100%; border:solid green; float:left; }

</HEAD>
<BODY>

hello
world

See if this helps: http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com
(e-mail address removed)

informant

time waster said:
Ok. I'm working on a simple standard 3 division problem here. Basic web site
style of banner and two divisions below it. In IE, the third division shows
properly. But in Mozilla, the third division drops down below the others. I just
can't figure out why this is happening. Here's my code I'm using.
<snip>

Why haven't you asked resident expert "Richard" Bullis for his advice on
this?

From: time waster <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Subject: IE versus mozilla display of divisions
Date: 15 Nov 2003 09:21:33 -0800

informant

time waster said:
Ok I got that worked out. Am I correct in assuming that the "float:left" on the
final division is the reason for the dropping? It appears to be.
Works just fine now.

Really? You got it up on your website yet? I'm really surprised that Bullis
hasn't chimed in with some gibbering. I wonder why that is?

From: time waster <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Subject: Re: IE versus mozilla display of divisions
Date: 15 Nov 2003 10:01:51 -0800