IE vs HTML/CSS

Sentient Fluid

Hey all.

I was wondering if there was anyone who could help me figure out what's
wrong with a minor website I'm working on for a friend. The page
renders fine in anything but IE. It *used* to render fine, but I forgot
to check it in IE during a 1 hour work period and I can't track what's
screwing up.

The pages are temporarily hosted at
http://geocities.com/sentientfluid/index.html

Here's a jpeg of how Firefox (correctly) renders the site:
http://img51.exs.cx/img51/96/ffsample1gi.jpg

It renders perfectly in IE6 if I just view it locally, but as soon as I
upload it, it breaks.

If someone could check it out for me, that would be great.

~Senti

Dylan Parry

Sentient said:
If someone could check it out for me, that would be great.

The difference in IE is caused by the Geocities crap that is inserted
*before* the doctype that you have given the page. Those two lines of
code cause IE to fall into quirks mode and use the IE5 box model instead
of standards mode.

Solution: either build in fixes in your CSS, or preferably move your
site to a server that *doesn't* insert extra crap to your pages.

Sentient Fluid

Dylan said:
The difference in IE is caused by the Geocities crap that is inserted
*before* the doctype that you have given the page. Those two lines of
code cause IE to fall into quirks mode and use the IE5 box model instead
of standards mode.

Solution: either build in fixes in your CSS, or preferably move your
site to a server that *doesn't* insert extra crap to your pages.

That's actually perfect news. The guy I'm doing this for will be
hosting them on a "proper" server which won't add any crap before hand.
The only reason they were on Geocities was because I have no where
else to test them "live". :)

Thanks for the help though! :)

~Senti

Joker7

"Sentient Fluid"
message : Dylan Parry wrote:
<snip>:
: That's actually perfect news. The guy I'm doing
this for will be
: hosting them on a "proper" server which won't
add any crap before hand.
: The only reason they were on Geocities was
because I have no where
: else to test them "live". :)

Test on your own machine !

:
: Thanks for the help though! :)
:
: ~Senti

Sentient Fluid

Joker7 said:
"Sentient Fluid"
message : Dylan Parry wrote:
<snip>:
: That's actually perfect news. The guy I'm doing
this for will be
: hosting them on a "proper" server which won't
add any crap before hand.
: The only reason they were on Geocities was
because I have no where
: else to test them "live". :)

Test on your own machine !

Did that, however I can't get IE 5.5 to run on XP with IE6 going. So I
foudn a place to host it so I could check it on a friends machine who
has IE5.5. :)