IE5/6, but not IE4, doing unexpected

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Dr John Stockton, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. In <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrdate.htm#T3> the button "Table
    III Reversed" executes

    function BCPTableIII() { var GN, DM, Ro, CY
    document.write("\t\t\tCalculated Table III",
    "<fieldset>\t\t\t THE GOLDEN NUMBERS\t\t SL P F M\n")
    for (GN=19 ; GN ; GN--) document.write(Prfx(GN, 3, " "))
    document.write("<hr>\n")
    for (Ro=DM=21 ; Ro<=51 ; Ro++, DM++) {
    for (GN=19 ; GN ; GN--) {
    CY = (11*GN + DM + 6) % 30
    if (Ro==49 && GN==11) { Ro++
    document.write("\t\t\t\t ", RightCols(DM-1), "\n\t\t\t")}
    document.write(Prfx(CY, 3, " ")) }
    if (DM==50) DM--
    document.write(RightCols(DM), Ro%5==0 ? "<hr>\n" : "\n" ) }
    document.write("<\/fieldset>") }

    in which the output of RightCols is not germane, and we have

    function Prfx(Q, L, c) { var s = Q+"" // ??
    // if (!c) var c = ' '
    if (c.length>0) while (s.length<L) { s = c+s } ;
    return s }

    and the output (chopped top, bottom, and right) is in IE4 as expected

    28 17 6 25 14
    29 18 7 26 15
    0 19 8 27 16
    ---------------
    1 20 9 28 17
    2 21 10 29 18
    3 22 11 0 19


    However in a later IE, the first or second space of a row is omitted in
    rows where the first column of numbers is single-digit. There's no
    problem with other single-digit entries, as you can see.

    28 17 6 25 14
    29 18 7 26 15
    0 19 8 27 16
    ---------------
    1 20 9 28 17
    2 21 10 29 18
    3 22 11 0 19


    I cannot easily experiment, as the IE>4 machine is a mile away.

    What's the explanation, and the suggested fix?

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 IE 4 ©
    <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
    Dr John Stockton, Oct 14, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dr John Stockton

    Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:
    > In <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrdate.htm#T3> the button "Table
    > III Reversed" executes
    >
    > function BCPTableIII() { var GN, DM, Ro, CY
    > document.write("\t\t\tCalculated Table III",
    > "<fieldset>\t\t\t THE GOLDEN NUMBERS\t\t SL P F M\n")
    > for (GN=19 ; GN ; GN--) document.write(Prfx(GN, 3, " "))
    > document.write("<hr>\n")
    > for (Ro=DM=21 ; Ro<=51 ; Ro++, DM++) {
    > for (GN=19 ; GN ; GN--) {
    > CY = (11*GN + DM + 6) % 30
    > if (Ro==49 && GN==11) { Ro++
    > document.write("\t\t\t\t ", RightCols(DM-1), "\n\t\t\t")}
    > document.write(Prfx(CY, 3, " ")) }
    > if (DM==50) DM--
    > document.write(RightCols(DM), Ro%5==0 ? "<hr>\n" : "\n" ) }
    > document.write("<\/fieldset>") }
    >
    > in which the output of RightCols is not germane, and we have
    >
    > function Prfx(Q, L, c) { var s = Q+"" // ??
    > // if (!c) var c = ' '
    > if (c.length>0) while (s.length<L) { s = c+s } ;
    > return s }
    >
    > and the output (chopped top, bottom, and right) is in IE4 as expected
    >
    > 28 17 6 25 14
    > 29 18 7 26 15
    > 0 19 8 27 16
    > ---------------
    > 1 20 9 28 17
    > 2 21 10 29 18
    > 3 22 11 0 19
    >
    >
    > However in a later IE, the first or second space of a row is omitted in
    > rows where the first column of numbers is single-digit. There's no
    > problem with other single-digit entries, as you can see.
    >
    > 28 17 6 25 14
    > 29 18 7 26 15
    > 0 19 8 27 16
    > ---------------
    > 1 20 9 28 17
    > 2 21 10 29 18
    > 3 22 11 0 19
    >
    >
    > I cannot easily experiment, as the IE>4 machine is a mile away.
    >
    > What's the explanation, and the suggested fix?


    Since I have several browsers installed I checked your mentioned page
    and button on several. My SBC/Yahoo DSL browser(just a modified IE6)
    shows the placement problems you mention. The latest Opera displays the
    table correctly. However the latest Mozilla family browsers(Mozilla,
    Firefox, and Netscape) only give some of the top headings when you
    click the button. The progress bar halts at about 1/2 way, and does not
    move and output the bulk of the table, at least for the 3 minutes I
    waited. Netscape 4.8 refuses to download your page at all and gives an
    alert with the message "File include1.js end fault, RSVP!". When you OK
    the alert, the browser goes down. This likely is of little importance
    since the Netscape 4.8 is all but dead in most countries.

    Your page is fairly complicated and you use a style considerably
    different from what I use, so I do notnow have time to attempt to
    determine exactly what is going on. I now do nearly all positioning
    with CSS , often using script to calculate the CSS positioning as I did
    in the full year calendar display output for my perpetual calendar. In
    cases that would require a document.write in javascript, I now have to
    do that portion of the code in php on the server, as document.write can
    not be processed in a true html 1.1 page served as
    application/xhtml+xml, which is parsed as XML. A php include at the top
    of the php page converts the code to html 4.01 strict for outmoded
    browsers, such as the IE6, that will not accept the mentioned mime
    type.

    Of course, you only mentioned IE browsers, so what your page does on
    other browsers may or may not be of interest to you.
    , Oct 16, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dr John Stockton

    Guest

    wrote:
    > However the latest Mozilla family browsers(Mozilla,
    > Firefox, and Netscape) only give some of the top headings when you
    > click the button. The progress bar halts at about 1/2 way, and does not
    > move and output the bulk of the table, at least for the 3 minutes I
    > waited.


    I have a screen capture for you at
    http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3.jpg that shows exactly where output
    of table 3 stops on the Firefox browser. Perhaps this will help you
    narrow the portion of the code that may be causing the problem.
    , Oct 16, 2005
    #3
  4. Dr John Stockton

    Guest

    wrote:
    > The latest Opera displays the table correctly.


    There is a screen capture using the latest Opera browser at
    http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3Opera.jpg . Part of the table is
    off-screen at the bottom. I see that I even managed to capture the
    cursor :). This view looks normal to me, but you know what you wanted.
    , Oct 16, 2005
    #4
  5. JRS: In article <>
    , dated Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:14:14, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    <> posted :
    >> I cannot easily experiment, as the IE>4 machine is a mile away.
    >>
    >> What's the explanation, and the suggested fix?

    >
    >Since I have several browsers installed I checked your mentioned page
    >and button on several. My SBC/Yahoo DSL browser(just a modified IE6)
    >shows the placement problems you mention. The latest Opera displays the
    >table correctly. However the latest Mozilla family browsers(Mozilla,
    >Firefox, and Netscape) only give some of the top headings when you
    >click the button. The progress bar halts at about 1/2 way, and does not
    >move and output the bulk of the table, at least for the 3 minutes I
    >waited.


    None of the script seems likely to hang the system; the loop structures
    are quite simple.

    > Netscape 4.8 refuses to download your page at all and gives an
    >alert with the message "File include1.js end fault, RSVP!".


    Well, you've done the RSVP. That message means that include file
    include.js is only partially loaded (if it had not loaded at all, you'd
    have got a 'top fault').

    The only buttons that should take more than a second or so on any PC
    less than a decade old are the Timing ones, which have warnings, and the
    tests when over a big range of years.


    > When you OK
    >the alert, the browser goes down. This likely is of little importance
    >since the Netscape 4.8 is all but dead in most countries.
    >
    >Your page is fairly complicated and you use a style considerably
    >different from what I use, so I do notnow have time to attempt to
    >determine exactly what is going on. I now do nearly all positioning
    >with CSS , often using script to calculate the CSS positioning as I did
    >in the full year calendar display output for my perpetual calendar. In
    >cases that would require a document.write in javascript, I now have to
    >do that portion of the code in php on the server,


    That means that the page cannot be executed independently of the Net,
    which I want to avoid.

    > as document.write can
    >not be processed in a true html 1.1 page served as
    >application/xhtml+xml, which is parsed as XML. A php include at the top
    >of the php page converts the code to html 4.01 strict for outmoded
    >browsers, such as the IE6, that will not accept the mentioned mime
    >type.
    >
    >Of course, you only mentioned IE browsers, so what your page does on
    >other browsers may or may not be of interest to you.


    Well, I'd like it to be OK in all, or all after Version 4 level.

    The output should look essentially, but not exactly, like that in the
    Church of England Book of Common Prayer and in the (British) Calendar
    Acts Annexes, and in Halsbury's Laws of England - but reversed left-to-
    right. For those without these books (I only have the first), there's a
    pure-HTML (non-reversed) version in <URL:
    http://www.davros.org/misc/easter.html>, headed TABLE III.


    I've now added code for a dot at the beginning of each line, and other
    dots where necessary to maintain alignment. If that looks good in IE
    5/6, I intend to replace them by   or actual spaces.

    .. 28 17 6 25 14
    .. 29 18 7 26 15
    .. 0 19 8 27 16
    ----------------
    .. 1 20 9 28 17
    .. 2 21 10 29 18
    .. 3 22 11 0 19

    .... ...

    I tried saving the generated HTML and using TIDY on it. There is
    objection to <pre>...<fieldset> so I've changed it (in Table IIIa) to
    <fieldset><pre> which could help. Alas, TIDY now complains about <hr>
    in <pre>, but changing to </pre><hr><pre> spreads the layout vertically
    - changing <hr> to a blank line is OK. Other Tables also dealt with.


    Thanks for looking.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 IE 4 ©
    <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
    Dr John Stockton, Oct 16, 2005
    #5
  6. Dr John Stockton

    Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > I tried saving the generated HTML and using TIDY on it. There is
    > objection to <pre>...<fieldset> so I've changed it (in Table IIIa) to
    > <fieldset><pre> which could help. Alas, TIDY now complains about <hr>
    > in <pre>, but changing to </pre><hr><pre> spreads the layout vertically
    > - changing <hr> to a blank line is OK. Other Tables also dealt with.


    Your revisions have helped on IE6 so that it now seems to display
    correctly. However Netscape 4.8 still has the same problem, and the 3
    Mozilla family browsers have the same problem, other than there are a
    few dots in the few headings for table 3 generated when one version of
    the button is clicked. Recent versions of Mozilla family browsers are
    very strict compared with IE6, will not tolerate nearly as much older
    code as IE6 will, and often will not attempt to correct something as
    does IE6. It is beginning to appear that there may be two problems.
    Your changes may have fixed the IE problem. However the Mozilla family
    problem likely is caused by something quite different.
    , Oct 17, 2005
    #6
  7. Dr John Stockton

    Randy Webb Guest

    Dr John Stockton said the following on 10/16/2005 5:24 PM:

    > JRS: In article <>
    > , dated Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:14:14, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    > <> posted :
    >
    >>>I cannot easily experiment, as the IE>4 machine is a mile away.
    >>>
    >>>What's the explanation, and the suggested fix?

    >>
    >>Since I have several browsers installed I checked your mentioned page
    >>and button on several. My SBC/Yahoo DSL browser(just a modified IE6)
    >>shows the placement problems you mention. The latest Opera displays the
    >>table correctly. However the latest Mozilla family browsers(Mozilla,
    >>Firefox, and Netscape) only give some of the top headings when you
    >>click the button. The progress bar halts at about 1/2 way, and does not
    >>move and output the bulk of the table, at least for the 3 minutes I
    >>waited.

    >
    >
    > None of the script seems likely to hang the system; the loop structures
    > are quite simple.


    But it does. In Firefox 1.0.7 the main page
    <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrdate.htm#T3 >
    gives an error in the JS console that
    "Tx2 is not defined" line 1362.
    Clicking on the "Table III Reversed" button opens a second page that
    hangs and the Console reports:
    "Prfx is not defined" line 1417.

    --
    Randy
    comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly
    Randy Webb, Oct 17, 2005
    #7
  8. Earlier :
    >I have a screen capture for you at
    >http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3.jpg that shows exactly where output
    >of table 3 stops on the Firefox browser. Perhaps this will help you
    >narrow the portion of the code that may be causing the problem.


    That's OK so far as it goes; the next line requires function Prfx which
    I think your FireFox failed to get to work. Prfx should have been shown
    in a box just above H4 "Page Index to Part of the Prayer Book", higher
    in the page. Prfx does have a loop, but it should execute no more than
    twice here.

    function Prfx(Q, L, c) { var s = Q+"" // ??
    // if (!c) var c = ' '
    if (c.length>0) while (s.length<L) { s = c+s } ;
    return s }



    Earlier :
    >There is a screen capture using the latest Opera browser at
    >http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3Opera.jpg . Part of the table is
    >off-screen at the bottom. I see that I even managed to capture the
    >cursor :). This view looks normal to me, but you know what you wanted.


    That's just as it should be. Lower down, the line that starts 24 13
    should have a step down near the middle, and the last line of data
    should be
    18 25 14 3 22 11 0 19 8 27 16 5 24 13 2 21 10 29 18 7 C Apr 18


    JRS: In article <>
    , dated Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:13:51, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    <> posted :
    >
    >Dr John Stockton wrote:
    >
    >> I tried saving the generated HTML and using TIDY on it. There is
    >> objection to <pre>...<fieldset> so I've changed it (in Table IIIa) to
    >> <fieldset><pre> which could help. Alas, TIDY now complains about <hr>
    >> in <pre>, but changing to </pre><hr><pre> spreads the layout vertically
    >> - changing <hr> to a blank line is OK. Other Tables also dealt with.

    >
    >Your revisions have helped on IE6 so that it now seems to display
    >correctly. However Netscape 4.8 still has the same problem, and the 3
    >Mozilla family browsers have the same problem, other than there are a
    >few dots in the few headings for table 3 generated when one version of
    >the button is clicked. Recent versions of Mozilla family browsers are
    >very strict compared with IE6, will not tolerate nearly as much older
    >code as IE6 will, and often will not attempt to correct something as
    >does IE6. It is beginning to appear that there may be two problems.
    >Your changes may have fixed the IE problem. However the Mozilla family
    >problem likely is caused by something quite different.


    That will call for testing modifications in Mozilla.



    <FAQENTRY> It would be useful to have a list of the names of the browser
    families, and their salient members in each case.


    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
    Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
    The Big-8 newsgroup management is attempting to legitimise its questionable
    practices while retaining its elitist hegemony. Read <URL:news:news.groups>.
    Dr John Stockton, Oct 17, 2005
    #8
  9. JRS: In article <>, dated
    Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:56:18, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Randy Webb
    <> posted :
    >Dr John Stockton said the following on 10/16/2005 5:24 PM:


    >> None of the script seems likely to hang the system; the loop structures
    >> are quite simple.

    >
    >But it does. In Firefox 1.0.7 the main page
    ><URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrdate.htm#T3 >
    >gives an error in the JS console that
    >"Tx2 is not defined" line 1362.
    >Clicking on the "Table III Reversed" button opens a second page that
    >hangs and the Console reports:
    >"Prfx is not defined" line 1417.



    Giving an error message is not hanging the system.


    Tx2 is the textarea in the Table II section. Its only use is - well,
    should be - shown in the bottom like of the box immediately above H5
    "Computing Table III". That line was
    Tx2.value = St }
    and now is
    document.getElementById("Tx2").value = St }
    which might help.


    Prfx is from an include file; if it had not been defined, that should
    have become apparent earlier, judging from IE.

    If IE opens a new page or window, functions provided to the old page by
    include files still work. Is that not the case in FireFox?

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 IE 4 ©
    <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
    Dr John Stockton, Oct 17, 2005
    #9
  10. Dr John Stockton

    Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > Tx2 is the textarea in the Table II section. Its only use is - well,
    > should be - shown in the bottom like of the box immediately above H5
    > "Computing Table III". That line was
    > Tx2.value = St }
    > and now is
    > document.getElementById("Tx2").value = St }
    > which might help.
    >
    >
    > Prfx is from an include file; if it had not been defined, that should
    > have become apparent earlier, judging from IE.
    >
    > If IE opens a new page or window, functions provided to the old page by
    > include files still work. Is that not the case in FireFox?


    Unfortunately your recent quoted change has made no difference for the
    latest versions of Firefox, Mozilla, or Netscape browsers. Also the old
    Netscape 4.8 does the same as I reported earlier. The most recent
    version of Netscape has a loading indicator that moves an arrow in a
    circle as long as the page is still loading. After you click on the
    button for table 3, the first few items of the heading appear. However,
    after that, the loading indicator keeps spinning and nothing happens.
    , Oct 18, 2005
    #10
  11. Dr John Stockton

    RobG Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:
    > JRS: In article <>, dated
    > Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:56:18, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Randy Webb
    > <> posted :
    >
    >>Dr John Stockton said the following on 10/16/2005 5:24 PM:

    >
    >
    >>>None of the script seems likely to hang the system; the loop structures
    >>>are quite simple.

    >>
    >>But it does. In Firefox 1.0.7 the main page
    >><URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrdate.htm#T3 >
    >>gives an error in the JS console that
    >>"Tx2 is not defined" line 1362.
    >>Clicking on the "Table III Reversed" button opens a second page that
    >>hangs and the Console reports:
    >>"Prfx is not defined" line 1417.

    >
    >
    >
    > Giving an error message is not hanging the system.
    >
    >
    > Tx2 is the textarea in the Table II section. Its only use is - well,
    > should be - shown in the bottom like of the box immediately above H5
    > "Computing Table III". That line was
    > Tx2.value = St }
    > and now is
    > document.getElementById("Tx2").value = St }
    > which might help.


    No, because 'Tx2' is the textarea' name, not it's id:

    <textarea name=Tx2 rows=12 cols=67>?</textarea>

    >
    >
    > Prfx is from an include file; if it had not been defined, that should
    > have become apparent earlier, judging from IE.
    >
    > If IE opens a new page or window, functions provided to the old page by
    > include files still work. Is that not the case in FireFox?



    Err, yes and no. Global stuff persists in Firefox for one
    document.write() call, after that it's hosed. Use of a single
    document.write() should fix the problem - test below.

    The same effect is achieved by preceding document.write() with
    document.open().



    [include.js]

    function getExtValue(){
    return 'The external value';
    }


    HTML:
    
    <html><title></title>
    
    <script type="text/javascript" src="test.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    
    var internalValue = "Here is the in-page value";
    
    function newPageA()  // This will fail in Firefox but not IE
    {
    document.write('<html><title></title>');
    document.write( internalValue );
    document.write('<br>');
    document.write( getExtValue() + '</html>' );
    document.close();
    }
    
    function newPageB()  // Works in Firefox and IE
    {
    //  document.open();  // This will cause Firefox to fail
    document.write(
    '<html><title></title>'
    + internalValue + '<br>'
    + getExtValue() + '</html>' );
    document.close();
    }
    
    </script>
    
    <input type="button" value="Write new page A" onclick="newPageA();">
    <input type="button" value="Write new page B" onclick="newPageB();">
    
    </html>
    
    
    --
    Rob
    RobG, Oct 18, 2005
    #11
  12. JRS: In article <Y8%4f.998$>, dated Tue, 18
    Oct 2005 04:48:56, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, RobG
    <> posted :

    >No, because 'Tx2' is the textarea' name, not it's id:
    >
    > <textarea name=Tx2 rows=12 cols=67>?</textarea>


    Replaced name=txt by ID=Tx2 .


    >> If IE opens a new page or window, functions provided to the old page by
    >> include files still work. Is that not the case in FireFox?

    >
    >
    >Err, yes and no. Global stuff persists in Firefox for one
    >document.write() call, after that it's hosed. Use of a single
    >document.write() should fix the problem - test below.


    So it only persists up to providing the argument(s) for document.write?


    I've changed all such instances in that page, I think; I suppose I now
    have to look across the whole site, and I don't see an automated way to
    search. That's 264 + 3 buttons to look at ... - though most will not be
    affected.

    >The same effect is achieved by preceding document.write() with
    >document.open().


    The good effect or the bad? I imagine you mean the good.


    At Computing Table III there's a button "Pop Code Up" : if
    document.open is good, it should be OK, if not then ???. Relevant code
    is visible in <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-nclds.htm#Inc1>, end
    of section, in "PopBtn & PopThis", with 3 test cases.

    Thanks.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 IE 4 ©
    <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
    Dr John Stockton, Oct 19, 2005
    #12
  13. Dr John Stockton

    Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > I've changed all such instances in that page, I think; I suppose I now
    > have to look across the whole site, and I don't see an automated way to
    > search. That's 264 + 3 buttons to look at ... - though most will not be
    > affected.


    Your table 3 now views the same on the 3 mentioned Mozilla family
    browsers and the IE6. I have a screen capture at
    http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3mod.jpg . This was made on the
    SBC/Yahoo DSL browser(IE6 based). Near the bottom of the table on, on
    the mentioned browsers, there is a displacement that I thought you
    should see before you spend much time converting your pages. Is this
    displacement what you intended?
    , Oct 19, 2005
    #13
  14. Dr John Stockton

    RobG Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:
    > JRS: In article <Y8%4f.998$>, dated Tue, 18
    > Oct 2005 04:48:56, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, RobG
    > <> posted :
    >
    >
    >>No, because 'Tx2' is the textarea' name, not it's id:
    >>
    >> <textarea name=Tx2 rows=12 cols=67>?</textarea>

    >
    >
    > Replaced name=txt by ID=Tx2 .
    >
    >
    >
    >>>If IE opens a new page or window, functions provided to the old page by
    >>>include files still work. Is that not the case in FireFox?

    >>
    >>
    >>Err, yes and no. Global stuff persists in Firefox for one
    >>document.write() call, after that it's hosed. Use of a single
    >>document.write() should fix the problem - test below.

    >
    >
    > So it only persists up to providing the argument(s) for document.write?
    >
    >
    > I've changed all such instances in that page, I think; I suppose I now
    > have to look across the whole site, and I don't see an automated way to
    > search. That's 264 + 3 buttons to look at ... - though most will not be
    > affected.
    >
    >
    >>The same effect is achieved by preceding document.write() with
    >>document.open().

    >
    >
    > The good effect or the bad? I imagine you mean the good.


    No, the bad - sorry for the ambiguity.

    document.open() seems to remove everything of the current page from
    Firefox's memory, the same as multiple calls to document.write() seem to
    do. Don't use document.open() unless you intend flushing the memory.

    >
    >
    > At Computing Table III there's a button "Pop Code Up" : if
    > document.open is good, it should be OK, if not then ???. Relevant code
    > is visible in <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-nclds.htm#Inc1>, end
    > of section, in "PopBtn & PopThis", with 3 test cases.


    Yes, they seem to popup OK.

    >
    > Thanks.
    >



    --
    Rob
    RobG, Oct 20, 2005
    #14
  15. JRS: In article <>,
    dated Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:21:48, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    <> posted :
    >
    >Dr John Stockton wrote:
    >
    >> I've changed all such instances in that page, I think; I suppose I now
    >> have to look across the whole site, and I don't see an automated way to
    >> search. That's 264 + 3 buttons to look at ... - though most will not be
    >> affected.


    I've done those - where a button gives a new page, it should be done by
    a single final document.write[ln]().

    >Your table 3 now views the same on the 3 mentioned Mozilla family
    >browsers and the IE6. I have a screen capture at
    >http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3mod.jpg . This was made on the
    >SBC/Yahoo DSL browser(IE6 based). Near the bottom of the table on, on
    >the mentioned browsers, there is a displacement that I thought you
    >should see before you spend much time converting your pages. Is this
    >displacement what you intended?


    It is right that the row which starts 24 should have white-space after
    7, but the space should be one space longer. In the next row, the 26
    should be under the 25; you show three spaces too many. With those
    changes, the months would align vertically. Should be

    21 10 29 18 7 26 15 4 23 12 1 20 9 28 17 6 25 14 3 G Apr 15
    22 11 0 19 8 27 16 5 24 13 2 21 10 29 18 7 26 15 4 A Apr 16
    23 12 1 20 9 28 17 6 25 14 3 22 11 0 19 8 27 16 5 B Apr 17
    24 13 2 21 10 29 18 7 B Apr 17
    26 15 4 23 12 1 20 9 28 17 6 C Apr 18
    25 14 3 22 11 0 19 8 27 16 5 24 13 2 21 10 29 18 7 C Apr 18

    I've made a new page showing the calculated tables by copy'n'paste -
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrtbls.htm> - and I've removed tabs
    from that copy of that table.

    Table IIIa has replaced Table III, and lost its terminal a.

    Again thanks.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
    Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
    The Big-8 newsgroup management is attempting to legitimise its questionable
    practices while retaining its elitist hegemony. Read <URL:news:news.groups>.
    Dr John Stockton, Oct 20, 2005
    #15
  16. Dr John Stockton

    Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > I've made a new page showing the calculated tables by copy'n'paste -
    > <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrtbls.htm> - and I've removed tabs
    > from that copy of that table.
    >
    > Table IIIa has replaced Table III, and lost its terminal a.


    It may be time to open the Champagne. Your new table 3 appears correct
    on all of the browsers I mentioned in my posts to this thread,
    including the old Netscape 4.8. Just to give you a final look on a
    Mozilla family browser, I captured the new table 3 with the new
    Netscape 8 browser. See
    http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3newNetscape8.jpg . I know the text is
    a bit small, but I had to reduce the size of it considerably to capture
    the whole table on a single screen shot.
    , Oct 21, 2005
    #16
  17. JRS: In article <>
    , dated Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:12:29, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    <> posted :
    >
    >Dr John Stockton wrote:
    >
    >> I've made a new page showing the calculated tables by copy'n'paste -
    >> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrtbls.htm> - and I've removed tabs
    >> from that copy of that table.
    >>
    >> Table IIIa has replaced Table III, and lost its terminal a.

    >
    >It may be time to open the Champagne. Your new table 3 appears correct
    >on all of the browsers I mentioned in my posts to this thread,
    >including the old Netscape 4.8. Just to give you a final look on a
    >Mozilla family browser, I captured the new table 3 with the new
    >Netscape 8 browser. See
    >http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3newNetscape8.jpg . I know the text is
    >a bit small, but I had to reduce the size of it considerably to capture
    >the whole table on a single screen shot.


    Alas, that's a shot of estrtbls.htm, which contains no javascript
    (though it was made from javascript output).

    That page was made for reference, to show what the button-generated
    Tables from estrdate.htm should really look like. That you see it right
    is only to be expected.

    The Table III generated by pressing the button in estrdate.htm#T3 was
    yesterday as I would wish in IE 5/6, so the original problem has
    departed.

    Does anyone see anything still wrong in <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.
    uk/estrdate.htm> in any browser (including non-javascript errors)?

    Thanks for looking.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 IE 4 ©
    <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
    Dr John Stockton, Oct 22, 2005
    #17
  18. Dr John Stockton

    Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:
    > JRS: In article <>
    > , dated Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:12:29, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    > <> posted :
    > >
    > >Dr John Stockton wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've made a new page showing the calculated tables by copy'n'paste -
    > >> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrtbls.htm> - and I've removed tabs
    > >> from that copy of that table.
    > >>
    > >> Table IIIa has replaced Table III, and lost its terminal a.

    > >
    > >It may be time to open the Champagne. Your new table 3 appears correct
    > >on all of the browsers I mentioned in my posts to this thread,
    > >including the old Netscape 4.8. Just to give you a final look on a
    > >Mozilla family browser, I captured the new table 3 with the new
    > >Netscape 8 browser. See
    > >http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3newNetscape8.jpg . I know the text is
    > >a bit small, but I had to reduce the size of it considerably to capture
    > >the whole table on a single screen shot.

    >
    > Alas, that's a shot of estrtbls.htm, which contains no javascript
    > (though it was made from javascript output).
    >
    > That page was made for reference, to show what the button-generated
    > Tables from estrdate.htm should really look like. That you see it right
    > is only to be expected.
    >
    > The Table III generated by pressing the button in estrdate.htm#T3 was
    > yesterday as I would wish in IE 5/6, so the original problem has
    > departed.
    >
    > Does anyone see anything still wrong in <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.
    > uk/estrdate.htm> in any browser (including non-javascript errors)?


    Using the URL you provided in the quote just above, I generated table 3
    on all of my browsers. The Mozilla family(Firefox, Mozilla, and
    Netscape) and Opera, all most recent versions, give what you want.
    However there still seems to be a problem near the bottom of table 3
    when viewed on my SBC/Yahoo DSL browser. This is supposed to just be an
    IE6 browser with additional "window dressing" and a few added functions
    such as Yahoo mail. The DSL browser has taken over IE6 on my computer.
    I would expect to see the same as on a "nude" IE6 browser, but you
    might want to have someone else check to be certain. A screen capture
    is at http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3SbcYahoo.jpg . Also the URL you
    give will not display on the old Netscape 4.8 at all and gives the same
    error message I mentioned in earlier posts.
    , Oct 22, 2005
    #18
  19. JRS: In article <>
    , dated Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:57:22, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    <> posted :

    >> Does anyone see anything still wrong in <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.
    >> uk/estrdate.htm> in any browser (including non-javascript errors)?

    >
    >Using the URL you provided in the quote just above, I generated table 3
    >on all of my browsers. The Mozilla family(Firefox, Mozilla, and
    >Netscape) and Opera, all most recent versions, give what you want.
    >However there still seems to be a problem near the bottom of table 3
    >when viewed on my SBC/Yahoo DSL browser. This is supposed to just be an
    >IE6 browser with additional "window dressing" and a few added functions
    >such as Yahoo mail. The DSL browser has taken over IE6 on my computer.
    >I would expect to see the same as on a "nude" IE6 browser, but you
    >might want to have someone else check to be certain. A screen capture
    >is at http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/table3SbcYahoo.jpg .


    There appears to be an error, in that browser, in the size of horizontal
    tab. That, if verified, could be taken up with the supplier.

    I've changed estrdate.htm TableIII to use spaces instead of tabs; but
    it's not practical to do so everywhere.

    > Also the URL you
    >give will not display on the old Netscape 4.8 at all and gives the same
    >error message I mentioned in earlier posts.


    Netscape 4.8, giving "File include1.js end fault, RSVP!", is evidently
    reading the start, but not the end, of <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.
    uk/include1.js>.

    That can only be tracked down by someone who knows Netscape 4.8.

    I don't much care, but if someone tells me a simple and harmless change,
    I can apply it.

    Thanks.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
    Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
    The Big-8 newsgroup management is attempting to legitimise its questionable
    practices while retaining its elitist hegemony. Read <URL:news:news.groups>.
    Dr John Stockton, Oct 23, 2005
    #19
  20. Dr John Stockton

    Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > There appears to be an error, in that browser, in the size of horizontal
    > tab. That, if verified, could be taken up with the supplier.
    >
    > I've changed estrdate.htm TableIII to use spaces instead of tabs; but
    > it's not practical to do so everywhere.


    > The Big-8 newsgroup management is attempting to legitimise its questionable
    > practices while retaining its elitist hegemony. Read <URL:news:news.groups>.


    Using http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrdate.htm and evaluation of
    table 3 now gives the same correct results on all of my browsers except
    Netscape 4.8.

    However, I nearly wrote you a very different message. When I first
    started checking, I was getting an RSVP error on all of the Netscape
    family browsers. Then I received a connection refused popup. Then a
    connection was very slow. Then, very suddenly, everything started
    working correctly again. There may have been issues at your server, at
    a router, or somewhere else between your server and me. One thing to
    keep in mind is that I am using an extremely fast connection. I
    download at 2.55 Mbps from a test site and at 2.3 Mbps from my server.
    I downloaded a program from Finland at about 2 Mbps. The point is, that
    if a site links to other things, they need to be available much sooner
    than on a dialup connection. I have no idea if this would have any
    bearing on your pages, but I thought I should mention it.
    , Oct 24, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tom=E1=9A_Bedn=E1=F8?=

    DIVs floating to left display incorrect if IE4

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tom=E1=9A_Bedn=E1=F8?=, Oct 23, 2003, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    517
    Toby A Inkster
    Oct 24, 2003
  2. Tom
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,031
  3. SabMan
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    106
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
    Dec 6, 2003
  4. buildmorelines

    copying a string to clipboard in IE4

    buildmorelines, Nov 25, 2004, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    104
    Michael Winter
    Nov 26, 2004
  5. Dr John Stockton

    Problem in IE6 but not IE4

    Dr John Stockton, Nov 12, 2005, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    121
    Dr John Stockton
    Nov 15, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page